U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,189 times

Advertisements

Hi yall,

Im wondering if anyone here is living off grid/semi off grid in the southern Utah area. I also have many questions about zoning and laws as I am a total newbie on any of this.
My husband and I are looking for an area where we can purchase land and live in our trailer until we are ready to develop and build. From what I can tell, this is not possible in Washington County. Does anyone know if tiny house/shed converted into tiny house living is possible? If we have a concrete foundation set, is off grid living allowed?

We would prefer Washington County, specifically Virgin area, but if thats not possible we like Beryl and the surrounding area. From what I can tell, trailer living is permitted in Iron a county, with no time frame for building. From previous threads in 07 and 08 there was lots of talk of water rights. What is it like out there now? My mother in law says she does have water rights, can we purchase those from her to transfer to any property we buy sans water rights?

Id really love to hear from anyone who has done something similar. I saw many threads from people ten years ago but didnt see many recent discussions on this.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 768 times
I bought land in Beryl about two years ago and began setting up my off grid homestead.
Land is cheap, infrastructure is not.

I have a 2-line power pole running through my land and was quoted $6,000 to drop a line. A bit much considering it's not the super high lines and it's right on my land.
I set up solar, fenced off a few acres, put a mobile home and shipping container down with water collection. I also haul water because you're not legally allowed to harvest more than 1,200 gallons. Not sure if thats per person, household, acre or what. Considered subletting some of my own land to my own LLC to legally harvest more depending on what the stipulation is.

If you're not LDS you're not really welcome. Even county officials will ask you what ward you're in. I've had people turn me down for business because i'm not LDS, hire someone else and then get ripped off by their mormon buddy.

Neighbors are not all that nice. Within a few months a neighbors kids were on my land on dirt bikes and mauled my dogs through my fence with a t-post I had there. They nearly killed them. I caught it on camera.

Some other neighbors put up a fence on the 'public' road to my property, blocking access. I tore it down three times and they finally stopped after I leveled threats.

Another neighbor "swatted" me. I was out with a good neighbor and his son and we were shooting at a near by berm that faces a mountain. The bad neighbor called the sheriff and reported that people matching our description and vehicles were driving around with rifles sticking out our windows shooting everywhere and at their barn. The sheriff arrived and we were exonerated but they did nothing about the false report. Attempted murder in my book.

Now a few days ago another neighbor called the building inspector / code enforcement on me an complained. The inspector cited me for having an illegal single wide mobile home (only double wides are allowed), no permit for solar panels and no permit for a shipping container.

Keep in mind that the neighbor who called has rink-a-dink solar set up, 7 shipping containers and a single wide in disrepair (allowed because it was there before the new ordinance).

So you may get lucky and get good neighbors and do the off grid thing with no problems. You can live out here and not bother anyone but someone may decide to get bothered by you. There is a good ol boy network.

Winters are cold (lowest is -10 once or twice a year), I use a wood stove. Summers are hot (highest is 110 once or twice a year) I use solar to run an AC unit. Spring and fall are about two or three weeks each (JK). Then long summers and winters. The wind can be unbelievable. You'll think there was a tornado or something.

I looked into a well and was quoted $26,000 cash with no guarantee of hitting water. There are areas north towards Lund with water only 20 feet deep.

Commuting to Cedar for work is not all that bad. 30-40 minutes, nearly no traffic except the other travelers that confuse the name of the highway with the speed limit and decide to go 56 miles an hour the whole way when it's posted 65mph. When I lived in a big city it took an hour to go 15 miles away and the traffic was nail-biting and a near death experience. So it's all perspective.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,245,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen4 View Post
I bought land in Beryl about two years ago and began setting up my off grid homestead.
Land is cheap, infrastructure is not.

I have a 2-line power pole running through my land and was quoted $6,000 to drop a line. A bit much considering it's not the super high lines and it's right on my land.
I set up solar, fenced off a few acres, put a mobile home and shipping container down with water collection. I also haul water because you're not legally allowed to harvest more than 1,200 gallons. Not sure if thats per person, household, acre or what. Considered subletting some of my own land to my own LLC to legally harvest more depending on what the stipulation is.

If you're not LDS you're not really welcome. etc etc <<<snip>>>
That's absolutely amazing and way beyond just "not welcome." It's appalling. There must be some very powerful attraction to the place/environment for all that to be worth it.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 AM

306 posts, read 471,705 times
As a rule of thumb, you're probably okay if you stick to moving to places where "outsiders" are already a presence and places that tourists might go.

For reference, Beryl is where the whole "Knights of the Crystal Blade" cult thing went down. Things can get really weird out there. I'm sure there are some nice folks, no offense to them, but there is also a whole lot of weird.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/...my-of-a-child/

Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 768 times
At first it was very attractive.
The land price was reasonable. It's nested right up against the mountain so the views are great.
The land grows grass naturally, as well as various brush and even moss.
Peace and tranquility seemed a great selling point.

It wasn't until after a few months and the first encounter with the kids on dirt bikes that things began to become more apparent. It got radically worse from there.

I'm leaving the area now. Might as well be back in the city. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.
That cult thing is crazy as hell. There's lots of other polygamists here too.
You can tell who they are cause they wear weird clothes kinda like mennonites or amish or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or