Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:40 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,220,416 times

Advertisements

Stupid me. I just noted after posting this is an old post. I'll leave it up just in case someone wants to view. Sorry, should have looked at the original posting before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I forgot to mention in my previous post about things to do.

For Monument Valley it's $20/car and you can drive the Valley Drive, which is ~17 miles long, 13 miles is a one way loop. It's a graded dirt road, they recommend four wheel drive, but as long as it hasn't rained (June is the driest month anyways) you should be fine in a normal car. Most people go 15 mph and you can pull over and take as many pictures as you like.

If you are going to stay in Moab for a few nights, you have Arches and Canyonlands right there.

I've been to Arches, 4 times, I believe, and hiked every trail at least twice. It now costs $30/car to get in (I always get the annual $80 NPS pass) and will be crazy busy during June, when you're there. I personally love being at Delicate Arch (the Arch on Utah's license plate) at sunset, when the sun turns the arch bright red during "magic hour". The hike out to Delicate is rated difficult, it's 3 miles round trip and I think you gain 500 feet in elevation. I didn't find it that bad of a hike.

Other trails in Arches, less demanding, The Windows (1 mile RT), Double Arch (0.5 miles RT), and Landscape Arch (1.6 miles RT). Arches and all of southeastern UT is very photogenic, your husband will be in heaven!

Canyonlands has 3 different sections, the easiest and most visited is Island in the Sky ($30/car) just north of Moab. There's some trails, but most people just drive the scenic road and stop at the various overlooks to take pictures. Basically the Green River is on one side and the Colorado River on the other and you can see where they meet. I think of it as a "mini Grand Canyon".

Back to lodging, for Monument Valley, Kayenta, Mexican Hat, Bluff and the Valley itself, would be your best options. It all depends on what you want to spend and the availability. There's some hole-in-the-wall restaurants here and there that you can try.
I have never seen sunlight turn Delicate arch bright red, could you tell me the time of day, sunrise, set, afternoon, etc. Would love to go back to get the shot. Just curious, I lived there for many years and did the delicate arch walk many times; both via the normal route and the back route which entails some climbing.

I have taken shots of the arch at sunrise, sunset and mid afternoon so there are many hours I will have missed.
This is early morning...

This is the famous sunset shot where people are lined up like that line into the super bowl...

If you stay longer the sun does reflect off the LaSal mountains better and I cannot find that shot at this time.

There is an arch in Canyonlands that is very well noted for the early morning sunlight reflecting off the bottom of the arch turning it bright red...Mesa Arch...

However, in my opinion, the best two arches in the Moab area are not in Arches NP...

Corona Arch a nice hike with a small easy climb, off Hwy 279

Or Pritchett arch, which does take a serious 4x4 and some steep hiking to get to...

(All photographs were taken and owned by me. I have original copyrighted digital files via a Nikon camera or in the cases of the delicate/mesa arch photos; original slides.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 PM

27,940 posts, read 29,783,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Stupid me. I just noted after posting this is an old post. I'll leave it up just in case someone wants to view. Sorry, should have looked at the original posting before posting.
With such gorgeous photography, it's never too late to post.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Beautiful! Will look for Corona arch next time we are in the area.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,367,768 times
Well the OP is not going to MV until this June so it is not that old of a post. I'm headed there next weekend on my way to Zion NP so am glad the thread got bumped. But am concerned after reading cjseliga's posting because it is supposed to rain Wed-Friday and I don't have 4WD. I may have to schedule a van or jeep tour or postpone that part of the trip. Last fall I went to Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Capitol Reef, and Bryce and was blown away by the beauty of Utah. Now have upcoming trips scheduled for Zion and Canyonlands/Arches before the weather gets too hot. But all the rain is making it difficult.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 03-15-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: