Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,247,691 times

Advertisements

Probably should post that question to the St. George City Council, or the 'good ole' boys' as they are known around here. Same for the surrounding towns...I don't know where these people they are building for are going to work. Jobs do not pay well...a lot of people who are retired move here and bring their California money, but other than that, I have no clue what people do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM

63 posts, read 224,881 times
Sounds as if SG is in a similar place in its "changing times" as was Reno 15-20 years ago. Although obviously already evident, almost destined to develop, grow and see a dramatic change in the number of residents, businesses and industries, as long as the "good ol boys" are calling the shots changes are not likely to come in a time frame which works for everyone.

Eventually the good 'ol boys (for a number of reasons) are moved out of the picture, then hold on to your hats!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM

7 posts, read 61,086 times
Default New in Ogden Valley - Powder Moutain Town!

Ogden valley is destine for growth despite the resistance from many locals.

Quote:
Saturday, January 19, 2008
OGDEN — Powder Mountain ski resort may soon become Powder Mountain Town — developers filed paperwork Friday with the Weber County clerk to incorporate as a municipality.

The action could allow resort developers to move ahead with plans to expand into a massive four-season resort in the Ogden Valley without going through the county planning commission.

Last month, after months of workshops and public hearings, the Ogden Valley Planning Commission voted in favor of the resort’s rezoning proposal, but attached almost 20 conditions that limited the density of the development and required secondary access roads.
Powder Mountain owner Mark Arnold told the Standard-Examiner that some of the requirements were unreasonable and would have destroyed his vision of the project.

“I just want to see our vision through, and the way things are going, this is what came to the surface to enable us to do that,” he said.

The Ogden Valley is breath taking and can not hide for much longer.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 AM

595 posts, read 2,734,696 times
Thats pretty neat how Powder Mountain is expanding like that. Now when they say "a massive four seasons resort" ,the Whistler Village comes to my mind. Is this something along the lines of what their talking about...?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Malan's Basin Project? It, too sounds pretty interesting if it actually got built.
Attached Thumbnails
What's New To Utah?-whistler.jpg  

Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM

24 posts, read 108,674 times
Default Developer Misconception

I would like to clear up a misconception that seems to float around about developers getting catered to by the city council in St. George. It's simply not true. I'm a developer and we have been far from catered to--actually quite the opposite. Building impact fees have skyrocketed. They basically add up to a targeted tax on builders so that unpopular taxes to citizens will not need to be raised.

Let me give you an example. To pull a permit on a basic 1400sf house on a tiny lot, the building permit is over 12k + plus you have to add in the 4700+ water conservancy impact fee (can you say pipe dream?). Over 17,000 for a building permit on a house that costs around 200k. That isn't all. The city then wants the developer to put in all the infrastructure--roads, sewer, electrical, gas, etc. at their own expense...not that we were credited any from the impact fees supposedly earmarked for such improvements). How about the park you put in your development? One would think that park impact fees would be credited. Not so.

I would to hear some examples of developers you know getting catered to in the area. All the ones I know are getting the stick, not the carrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Vegas is in deep doo doo trouble..Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both drying up...that's why I don't understand the huge amount of building planned for southern Utah...but then again it's developers shoving the almighty dollar in the good ol boys

Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 PM

7 posts, read 61,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Thats pretty neat how Powder Mountain is expanding like that. Now when they say "a massive four seasons resort" ,the Whistler Village comes to my mind. Is this something along the lines of what their talking about...?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Malan's Basin Project? It, too sounds pretty interesting if it actually got built.
Whistler Village is awesome. I can only hope we could get something like that in Ogden Valley. I'm not aware of any master plan made public.

As for Malan's Basin... it's really cooled off now that Peterson will not get the public funds for the gondola deal. Too bad. It looked like a good proposal. But it's not completely dead... yet.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerWest View Post
As for Malan's Basin... it's really cooled off now that Peterson will not get the public funds for the gondola deal. Too bad. It looked like a good proposal. But it's not completely dead... yet.
That's too bad. The city's website made it sound like the whole project would have done great things for the city. But, Peterson hasen't given up yet, which is good. Hopefully he will be able to get done what he had originally planned.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 20,650 times
Take it from someone who travels extensively, both domestic and abroad, SLC nightlife is not near as bad as people like to gripe about. In addition to the couple bars listed, I would also recommend people check out the downtown Lumpys, Bayou, Hogs Wallow, Fiddlers Elbow, and any Park City Bar. Also worth noting is that most areas have their neighborhood bars that entertain in a variety of ways (Huddle, Maggie's, Canyon Inn, Gatorz, Club 90, etc). Some are sports bars, some have live music, and some are just plain ole bars.

The liquor laws are ridiculous. Fortunately there seems to be some light at the end of that tunnel. In the past month, the liquor content in cocktails has increased 50% (no doubles however) and the silly membership deal seems to be on its way out this year.

SLC nightlife will never be confused with that of Chicago's, for instance, however I assure you it will not put a damper on your good times in this great city either.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I says that. Well not completely.
SLC does have a few decent nightclubs. But just a couple. Theres Port o Call and Vortex and the Huka bar (which is in sandy). After that the list waters down. All for reasons that are obvious.
Yea Salt Lake has decent shopping and good restaurants, but these things dont make for a happening night life. Its the pubs/bars/clubs that seal the deal for tourists. Whereas there could be a ton of things to do in any given city during the day which is fun. But once the sun goes down and there aint **** to do, that leaves many people with an unsatisfied feeling. They leave wondering whether this town has any soul.

But you pretty much hit it on the dot. This is no exagerration.

The city, run by the church, constantly intimidates bar owners and sucks up alot of the city's night life. One mess up, which could be an underage drinker with a fake i.d., and they'll be quick to cite the clubs at least $10,000. There was that club in late December of last year that got closed down for 3 days, which included new years eve, because some underage kid with a fake i.d. caused some trouble. That was their first violation ever, and this place was there for at least a decade.
Just as another example: The Monkey Bar in Park City, which has been there for a long time, was closed for a month and had to pay a fine during the winter (prime season in Park City). Eventually, their liquor license was revoked, and the owner has been prevented from pursuing one for at least 3 years! All for what? Lewd dancing (I **** you not!). Now tell me what kind of succesful entrepenour would want to invest in a bar in Salt Lake? You think the Maloof brothers (maybe not them, but you get the picture) are going to want to invest a dime here? Heck No.

From what I know/read, Salt Lake zones its private clubs and taverns to 2 per block. Thats just one of many of "those" laws, and the LDS Church has been entering the endevour of "buying out" pub owners.

The part that sucks is that these people just dont understand. They think us activists for a real night life are all drunks. They'll never understand.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,649 times
Default I know there is a resort being built in Brians Head

It is a Destinations Resort, which is Lowes Enterprises. They do a very nice job. However, nothing is planned that I can see in St. George. I did see the jobs there for what I do that are currently in the area do not pay much at all. So I guess they have a sunshine tax.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Default New to Park City

Hey guys I just found this and I wanted to share it with you...

http://www.parkrecord.com/city/ci_10142664

Quote:
Tom Eddington Jr., the new Planning director at City Hall, arrives in Park City as developers continue to see the city as a prime place to build.
Quote:
...Treasure Hill: The Sweeney family wants to build the Treasure Hill development on the Town Lift slopes of Park City Mountain Resort near Old Town. A hotel would anchor the project, and the family has planned to build Treasure Hill for years.
Quote:
...developers envision NoMa,(North of Main) someday becoming a hotspot with upscale shopping, loft-style living and entertainment offerings. City Hall would first need to change the development rules in the district.
Here is the website for Treasure Hill in case anyone is interested
Treasure - Park City, Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah