Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,868 times

Advertisements

For the last few weeks I've put up with a new neighbor crashing furniture around, dropping heavy objects loudly, a crying/wailing woman, door slamming, kids jumping and thudding (not sure I can do anything about that, but I know parents can help with it), even after 10 and 11 pm and even into 1 or 2 am some nights, they just don't seem to be aware or care about how they're affecting anyone.

I was told in the past "just talk to them"... well guess how that went. I went upstairs and FINALLY someone came to the door (they wouldn't after 10 or 11 pm of course), big dude with a kid, he says "we're just watching TV"... there's no way with all the thuds and crashing right above the living room and kitchen, right through the ceiling, vibrating, hearing things cracking. He got this disgusted look like there was something wrong with me... I just said "Well, I'm just letting you know" and he was like 'what' while I was leaving.

I come back in and there's 4 more very much louder bangs, crashes, and a louder door slam, one right after another... So, that didn't go well, he's lying through his teeth and now being vindictive. I go outside to see if maybe there's something else going on (or to see if I can catch them being vindictive), and wouldn't you know it, he's got extension cables coming out of his balcony to his truck, across the sidewalk, partially stuck in the snow and ice, charging some battery... people could trip on the cables since it's dark out.

I've emailed the landlords about it once, they said they talked to them, but I don't think he gets it or cares. I was nice about it, introduced myself, simply told him I was hearing loud bangs, didn't accuse, didn't argue...

OK so now what? I of course will call metro security if they're keeping me up past hours, but if someone just denies, I have to collect evidence, which is very difficult on a phone mic, I'm not sure how to capture it better or what to do about it, I don't know how I'm supposed to get the message across to someone who doesn't care or denies or who is vindictive. And now I've shown my face, so he'll know who to harass and vandalize. I need other solutions than "just talk to them" :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:17 AM

3,204 posts, read 3,466,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidata View Post
For the last few weeks I've put up with a new neighbor crashing furniture around, dropping heavy objects loudly, a crying/wailing woman, door slamming, kids jumping and thudding (not sure I can do anything about that, but I know parents can help with it), even after 10 and 11 pm and even into 1 or 2 am some nights, they just don't seem to be aware or care about how they're affecting anyone.

I was told in the past "just talk to them"... well guess how that went. I went upstairs and FINALLY someone came to the door (they wouldn't after 10 or 11 pm of course), big dude with a kid, he says "we're just watching TV"... there's no way with all the thuds and crashing right above the living room and kitchen, right through the ceiling, vibrating, hearing things cracking. He got this disgusted look like there was something wrong with me... I just said "Well, I'm just letting you know" and he was like 'what' while I was leaving.

I come back in and there's 4 more very much louder bangs, crashes, and a louder door slam, one right after another... So, that didn't go well, he's lying through his teeth and now being vindictive. I go outside to see if maybe there's something else going on (or to see if I can catch them being vindictive), and wouldn't you know it, he's got extension cables coming out of his balcony to his truck, across the sidewalk, partially stuck in the snow and ice, charging some battery... people could trip on the cables since it's dark out.

I've emailed the landlords about it once, they said they talked to them, but I don't think he gets it or cares. I was nice about it, introduced myself, simply told him I was hearing loud bangs, didn't accuse, didn't argue...

OK so now what? I of course will call metro security if they're keeping me up past hours, but if someone just denies, I have to collect evidence, which is very difficult on a phone mic, I'm not sure how to capture it better or what to do about it, I don't know how I'm supposed to get the message across to someone who doesn't care or denies or who is vindictive. And now I've shown my face, so he'll know who to harass and vandalize. I need other solutions than "just talk to them" :/
It's time to consider moving. You referenced a landlord, so I assume that you are also a renter. That makes it more simple. Once your lease is up, hightail it out of there.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 AM

3,000 posts, read 2,131,437 times
Agree with Hiruko. If you are close to the end of the lease, ride it out. If not and you want to address it, look into the noise ordinance for the county. You might need to get a decibel meter and get recordings with noise and file a complaint, perhaps against the landlord. The landlord has the ability to evict the tenant for excessive noise type reasons. And, you might have recourse to legally break the lease if the issue is not addressed. Obviously, this is a last resort and you should think hard if that’s where you want to go.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 3,868 times
If I hear something way too loud or too many times or at bad times (like 10pm to 7am), I'll sometimes repeat the noise myself at the same level (since we have the same stuff), so they seem to be realizing how loud it is and that our walls are so thin.

So it's improving, but they just don't seem to be aware or care a whole lot, and the guy's reaction really pissed me off.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 PM

1,666 posts, read 958,529 times
Record it, play it for land lord and the loud neighbor. I would also say that I guess this is just my imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah