U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 AM

5 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am hoping a few kind souls could share their experiences of living in the Ogden Valley with us. We are a family of four - parents approaching 40 with 2 children under the age of 2. We both work from home so we can live anywhere, and have certainly done so. We are extremely outdoor recreation-focused and spend all of our free time skiing, boating, rafting, mountain biking, snowmachining and hiking. We are considering the Ogden Valley for our next move. Great skiing, a reservoir, mountain biking and hiking and open spaces - it has all of those! The housing is much more affordable than where we currently reside in Colorado, which is a huge driver. Over the past decade, we have lived in Teton Valley, ID, various locations in CO (Summit County, Glenwood Springs, a very small town in SW CO) and Park City, UT. We enjoyed Park City, but absolutely hated living right off of HWY 80 with nowhere safe to walk the dogs or let our kids play. Upgrading to a home off the highway and with some space is financially out of the question there and we didn't want to move to Heber City.

Right now we are considering either going back to Driggs (love the community there but hate the geographical isolation and weather) or trying out Ogden Valley. We aren't interested in Ogden proper, as we enjoy having room and aren't city folk. However, we love that we can get to an airport and Costco with ease. Another plus for O.V. is that it is much closer to Moab and Lake Powell, which we frequent often. Here are a few questions maybe some of you can answer:

- Is there a strong sense of community in Ogden Valley? We are looking for a place where everyone is out skiing, biking and just generally out there getting after it with their families. Driggs definitely has this, but we are wondering if we will find it in Ogden Valley. Easy to make friends who will have similar interests? We don't have any family nearby, so this is very important to us.

- Anyone know about the availability and cost of child care? I see that High Altitude has a great price for pre-school, but doesn't mention drop-in care for if hubby and I want to go out for a few hours on our own. I see a few babysitters on Care.com with varying prices. Easy to find childcare there? Difficult? Astronomically priced or reasonable?

- How religious is the valley? We are not religious ourselves and are not church goers. We do not care what others around us do, but know that if we are in an area where families are focused on going to church, there will not be much room for us to make friends. Looked at some quick stats online and I see that it reads as highly religious, which kind of makes us worried about the community aspect of the area. The community aspect is the only reason I ask this.

- Anything else we should know about the area - good, bad, do, don't, etc....? I know everyone has their own perspective and experience, but I enjoy reading about what people who actually live in an area have to say. I have also learned that until you actually move to a place, you never really know what it is going to be like!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 AM

280 posts, read 708,492 times
We own a house in Eden, and spend a lot of time there, but I wouldn't feel right opining on day to day living with our experience being so limited.

So, I suggest that you also ask this question on this Facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157654188058247/ - It is primarily used for road conditions, but there are over 2,000 members and they all live in the valley. I'd also ask them if there's a site/forum that they can refer you to that is active.

I'd also put this on the Salt Lake City City-Data page.

BTW, we love the valley and plan on spending more and more time there until we eventually unwind what we have here and move out there permanently.

You will find that despite the relatively limited buildup, there will be houses in all ranges. The house we own is in a nice neighborhood with families and children playing. We also have a building lot up past the golf course that we had planned on moving too, but it's become a difficult decision to choose the neighborhood over the new build.

As I said, I don't have experience with day to day, week to week, month to month living in the valley, but I do with the current building situation. The valley is having a strong new construction blitz. So, the cost of building is skyrocketing. I strongly suggest that you look at existing home market instead of building unless you are acutely aware that the chances of cost overruns will be inevitable and steep!

Old 03-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Thanks for sharing! I don't think we plan on building ourselves at the moment - it just seems too crazy with two little ones at the moment. Maybe I will have to take this post down here and try to re-post in Salt Lake.....

Old 03-12-2019, 02:22 PM

21,865 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN2 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I don't think we plan on building ourselves at the moment - it just seems too crazy with two little ones at the moment. Maybe I will have to take this post down here and try to re-post in Salt Lake.....
You can't take it down, but you could ask a staff member to move it for you.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 PM

356 posts, read 234,578 times
Not sure why Ogden is off the list, we love it and are a block away from more hiking trails than we know what to do with. We looked at Eden and Liberty but felt it would be too isolated for us. Our area is very nice and safe, kid and pet friendly, we also have plenty of space at more than half the cost of SLC and pennies for what we would have paid in Park City. Ogden is also not in your face religious which we found very refreshing. We are so happy we moved here to get out of SLC and get closer to the mountains. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 PM

794 posts, read 288,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Not sure why Ogden is off the list, we love it and are a block away from more hiking trails than we know what to do with. We looked at Eden and Liberty but felt it would be too isolated for us. Our area is very nice and safe, kid and pet friendly, we also have plenty of space at more than half the cost of SLC and pennies for what we would have paid in Park City. Ogden is also not in your face religious which we found very refreshing. We are so happy we moved here to get out of SLC and get closer to the mountains. Good luck.

How are the inversions in Ogden vs Eden/Huntsville/Liberty ?

Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 466 times
As an Ogden Valley Resident since 2011, I'll throw my two cents worth. First off, I feel your pain - we (my wife Ann and I) moved from Michigan for the outdoor experiences (we also work from home) that you describe, and we check out just about all of the locations that you've mentioned. I will tell you that if we didn't find the Ogden Valley, we wouldn't be in Utah. It's like living in a postcard and on vacation, year round. We also ruled out Heber Valley (too congested) and Park City (WAY too expensive and too congested).

To answer your questions:
1) Yes. It seems that everyone knows everyone. It's easy to make friends and there are several groups who ride (road, MTB) and ski together.
2) Not having any kids, I can't comment on this one.
3) If you're not that religious, you won't feel out of place. Our valley consists of about half of people who have moved here from outside of Utah (for all of the reasons you've mentioned in your post).

We moved for the winters and LOVE it year round. The recreation opportunities are nearly limitless right in the valley, but as you've mentioned, it's easy to get to other places in Utah and the West that you enjoy also.

Regarding inversions. I think we've experienced them *maybe* once since we've been here. Maybe twice. And it's only because it sneaks up the canyon from the Ogden side. It's never been a factor for us - clear/fresh air year-round.

If you want to talk "live" about any of this and/or the housing market, feel free to call me at 801-695-7737

Joel Zieve

Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the responses here, everyone! We are hoping to stay short term (a few months?) to get a feel for it this year before making a decision. On paper, it looks awesome! We prefer to be in the valley vs. in Ogden proper simply because we just aren't city people. Hoping it's as good as it sounds b/c the location is awesome.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN2 View Post
Thanks for the responses here, everyone! We are hoping to stay short term (a few months?) to get a feel for it this year before making a decision. On paper, it looks awesome! We prefer to be in the valley vs. in Ogden proper simply because we just aren't city people. Hoping it's as good as it sounds b/c the location is awesome.
You won't be disappointed. When you're out, let me know and I can recommend many mountain bike trails that will fit your ability.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Awesome - thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah