Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 04:31 PM

46 posts, read 60,610 times

Advertisements

When I say I really mean quiet, like the middle of forest. Maybe it's not possible but what areas in UT would be the closest?

At minimum:
No train noise
No nearby active airports
No regular military or other low-flying aircrafts (nothing against the military, just don't want to live under their training routes)
No hearing loud vehicles constantly (e.g. a lot of small towns are big on motorcycles and loud trucks)
No distant humming noise from industry, (industries are also in rural areas).

Also looking at other states too, especially AZ and NV. Feel free to suggest.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 08:05 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
When I say I really mean quiet, like the middle of forest. Maybe it's not possible but what areas in UT would be the closest?

At minimum:
No train noise
No regular military or other low-flying aircrafts (nothing against the military, just don't want to live under their training routes)
No hearing loud vehicles constantly (e.g. a lot of small towns are big on motorcycles and loud trucks)

Thanks.
If "the middle of a desert" would work for you instead of "the middle of a forest," your options in Utah would be many.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:58 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
DO NOT MOVE TO THE DESERT AREA AROUND MOAB UT.

Only train in the area is the train from the UMTRA project going north, and on occasion from the Potash facility going north. (https://www.gjem.energy.gov/)

Moab Airport is very quiet

Most of the fighter jocks from Hill AFB or other in NV stopped doing the low level flights due to the locations of the National parks and appear to have jumped over to the UT western desert areas.

No industry

HOWEVER, THERE ARE A BILLION PLUS ONE ATVS/UTVS/DIRT BIKES SCREAMING THROUGHOUT THE AREA AND THEY ALL LOVE TO MAKE LOTS OF NOISE.

One of the reasons I left that area, you could get away from the tourists, but not those with the ATV/UTVs etc.

As for areas that are quiet....

Deserts and forests (off the beaten trail) can be very quiet. I have camped in forest locations (dispersed) and not heard a man made sound, other than that made by me, for days. Same in parts of the desert (such as the San Rafael Swell area....again well off the beaten path).

However, I ask, are you planning on visiting or moving for good?

Your problem will be there are no utilities. You would have to dig a well (NOT CHEAP), provide your own electricity, etc. However, many people do that.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:19 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
You might want to look in the area near Torrey. It's pretty remote, quiet and beautiful. But from your OP, I got the impression that you don't want to be around civilization at all.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:30 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
What you want is going to be difficult. Especially if you don't like high flier aircraft noise. You might think you'll be far from human noise just because the place is in some forest or desert, but often jet traffic is routed over those areas simply because they are remote and the air is less crowded with other general aviation. Air traffic noise is pretty pervasive because the approach distances for airports and military bases are so huge. Be sure you don't also demand access to amenities and services.

Years ago I took a 15 day whitewater trip down a very remote pristine AK wilderness river. The sort of place you'd assume would have almost no human-caused noise. The sheer number of commercial and military jets passing overhead every day was a real shock. Because the area was so quiet otherwise every jet passing overhead was even MORE noticeable.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-17-2020 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 07:47 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post

At minimum:
No train noise

Thanks.

Go take a guided tour down the yampa through Dinosaur national park... it starts in CO and ends near vernal. I believe it's the longest stretch of river in the lower 48 without a man made obstruction. The guides make you fireside dinner and you camp riverside for 3-7 nights depending upon the trip you sign up for. You pack all your waste and goods in / out and they limit permits on the river so you likely will never see another group or 1 other group the entire time.

The land is mostly national park but you're likely to see some private land that you could build a hut or cabin on to be pretty much isolated from "man".

Old 10-22-2020, 02:11 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Arizona Strip area SE of St George E of Hwy7, W of Hwy 59.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:03 PM

565 posts, read 471,668 times
The popularity of "overlanding" has brought a lot of vehicular traffic to even the remotest of places.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:36 AM

317 posts, read 652,323 times
Recreation vehicles, generators, large noisy pickup trucks, helicopter tours and helicopter training traffic have all made chunks of southern Utah much noisier than it used to be. Plus there are airplanes using the jet stream which often flows here- the Las Vegas air traffic is lighter than it used to be, but it's still present. You'll get moments without motor noise, but sustained periods without it are much rarer than they used to be. It'll be quiet for awhile and then a group of people touring on loud motorcycles will roar through and then it will be quiet again. A lot of recreation is motorized, so a lot of places can actually get really loud as loudness for the tourists seems to be part of their fun. People even use my neighborhood's hills for ATV and dirt bike riding, which can get quite loud. There is also a lot of military training which can involve fighter jets and periodic exercises over in Nevada that involve bombing runs, so you will hear repeated earthquake like explosions on a low register that may be hundreds of miles away. The most quiet times involve snowy Sundays, unless someone is using a snowmobile or snowblower.

I get what you are saying about motor noise, it's become ever present and much harder to get away from. Even just 10-15 years ago quiet was much easier to come by. On top of all of it, children tend to scream a lot more when they play these days and there are lots of kids here, so screaming is part of the daily background noise too.

Good luck. Hope you manage to find some quiet somewhere.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:27 PM

46 posts, read 60,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
DO NOT MOVE TO THE DESERT AREA AROUND MOAB UT.

However, I ask, are you planning on visiting or moving for good?
as long as I could stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah