U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 AM

17 posts, read 53,162 times
So far the best quote is from ABF UPack, thank you both for recommending it! It is the company I will use to move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 51,348 times
WMONDE, You'll be happy with ABF. I used them twice, from PHX to TN then again from TN to PHX. They were very flexible with me as on the return trip, I had to leave my stuff (still in the trailer) at their transit place as I moved up to Prescott and at that time (2 yr ago) they didn't deliver up here, and I wasn't able to pick it up for a week. No extra charge! Be sure when packing the trailer to pack as tightly as possible and tie off the stuff. And as the op mentioned, lay cardboard on the floor to keep the dirt off and cover up the furniture with blankets. Good luck on your move!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
Red face Need movers from SLC to PHX

Hey Everyone,

I lived in SLC until my 20's and my last parent has now passed away. After a lot of time and work we've chosen about a room's worth of stuff to keep and need to have it shipped. Unfortunately most of it is quite fragile and irreplacable (my parents made ceramics figures and my father dealt in Lladro and other higher end figurines) and all of it has a great amount of sentimental value. Worse than that, we need to sell the house before too much longer and can't get back to SLC. That means that we're going to need to have someone else do the packing and the move, and get the stuff to us at our home in Scottsdale. I've seen that most of this thread has been about going inexpensive and about packing yourself, but I was hoping that someone could highly recommend a company that has an excellent track record of being VERY careful in packing stuff, and getting it to its destination without damage! We would like to have it packed, placed in a truck, driven here, and we can, but don't have to, do the unpacking. I know, a move without damages...it's everyone's dream, and would be a first for me after 4 professional moves, but well, we have to have hope, right? The last time we were up there, we managed to get A-1 Pioneer Moving & Storage (Stevens/Wheaton) to come to the house and give us a quote. We liked them, they said everything we wanted to hear. The gentlemen claimed to be the movers for O.C. Tanner, the Jazz players, and other high-profile, "discriminating" customers. I have not yet made the effort to verify any of their claims, because they said I'd be receiving an e-mail from them with our actual quote amount and details in 4-5 days, and it's been weeks. We were almost set to go with them, but I'm really bothered that they managed to lose both of our phone numbers, address, and e-mail address. I have debated calling them. I only received phone quotes from the other two places I had time to call. I would like to hear from people with first hand experiences with any company that exceeded their expectations. I know that most cost is simply weight times distance with minor variations for packing and season and while I certainly don't want to be done wrong, we do have some money available for this expense after the estate sale. Lastly, I did call someone I know in the furniture biz there in SLC and asked about shipping fragile, expensive items, and he suggested a crating business, but I was unable to find the actual one he mentioned (The Boxer) for details and costs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks all!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM

27 posts, read 84,612 times
We just moved from Massachusetts to Utah and went with a moving company. They are definately expensive!!! What I can tell you is to NEVER use World Wide Moving!!! They were horrible!!! Like you, we packed everything ourselves and have very minimal furniture. THey quoted us a rate then ended tacking on an extra $600.00!!! Not to mention that they do not do the work themselves, they sub-contract out......that is something to ALWAYS ask! The ones that subcontract are usually the worst! They were also supposed to ship our car and just never bothered to show up and on the day we were moving we had to find a new carrier for the car which cost us hundreds more as well. It took over 3 weeks for them to deliver our furniture and when they finally got here, half of our furniture and items were broken in pieces!!! We currently now have a claim into them to get our items fixed / replaced. Personally no matter if you drive yourself or hire someone it is so overpriced it is crazy! Just make sure you ask if they sub-contract and find out the very fine print before signing anything. Good luck with the move!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 794,824 times
If you are moving out of state because of a job, your current home state may pick up the tab for the move, at the very least 80% of it. You have to get written estimates from 3 different moving companies and submit them, and then they cut you a check for the cheapest one. You are not obligated to use that company once you receive the money, you can go with a more expesnsive one but you have to pay the difference yourself. We were able to do this because of the NAFTA agreement, so if your situation is similar...check it out.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 16,227 times
Do you have any details on this? We're moving from Louisiana and would love to find a similar program.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
If you are moving out of state because of a job, your current home state may pick up the tab for the move, at the very least 80% of it. You have to get written estimates from 3 different moving companies and submit them, and then they cut you a check for the cheapest one. You are not obligated to use that company once you receive the money, you can go with a more expesnsive one but you have to pay the difference yourself. We were able to do this because of the NAFTA agreement, so if your situation is similar...check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: