Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM

115 posts, read 458,414 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some advice on a road trip. I will be leaving Colorado Springs going to Los Angeles area. I want to stop and spend one day each At Bryce Canyon National Park and one day at Zion National Park. I was just wondering any suggestions on where my stops should be to spend the night. Also where should I enter the parks at. Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
.... nobody answering?

I also have never been to Zion, so was wondering what is the must thing to see and do!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
uI was just at both Zion and Bryce this summer, and I must say that they are both truly amazing! (better than the Grand Canyon, imo)

So, if you're coming from Co Springs, I assume that Bryce will come before Zion. (if you're coming up from Las Vegas, Zion comes before Bryce) They are about an hour and a half apart from each other, with the Dixie Natl Forest in between.

We were able to fit in Bryce in only a day. Make sure you stop at the 'points' along the main road, (Sunset, Sunrise, Bryce...) as those look out toward the Ampitheater, as they call it. If you're into hiking, deffinatly go down into the canyon. It is so cool to see the hoodoos up close!

As for lodging, I suggest you try to make your way over to Springdale, Utah after you are done with Bryce Canyon. As I have said, it takes you an hour and a half to get from park to park, however in order to get to any hotels, you first must take a drive through the east canyons of Zion, which should take maybe 30-45 minutes.

Springdale is a cool little town and has plenty of hotels to chose from. (I'd recomend the Best Western, thats where I stayed) There are plenty of good restaurants and stores to visit, too, when your not out and about in the park. Plus there is a free shuttle system that will take you to the entrance to Zion, so you don't have to drive.

Now, as for Zion... It has got to be my favorite National Park. Really is beautiful. It really will be hard to see much of it in a single day, lildreamer, but I will give you a couple of places you really should check out, the ones I liked the most.

OK, first off, I am sure you are aware that you can't actually drive your car up the canyon, and that you have to take a shuttle bus instead? The shuttle honestly isn't very bad at all. It stops at all the trailheads, and a new one comes every five minutes. It really is convenient. If you don't want to hike, you can still stay in the bus round trip (which takes about 90 minutes) and still take in the wonderdful scenery. Of course, you'llget more out of it if you were to get out and hike around.

There are alot of hikes I can recomend you, but I just need to know one thing: Are you guys more of a moderate hiker, or are you up for a challenge?

Oh, and WildWestBoy - how long will you be there? Maybe I can recommend more stuff to do.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks, good info man. Yes, I open to recommendations. I am not sure yet how long I will be there.....

Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
Well, if you're into hiking, and aren't afraid of heights, deffinatly try to do Angels Landing and the Hidden Canyon trail.

Angels Landing is one of the most popular hikes there and ascends 1000+ feet up from where you will be starting at on the valley floor. There are many cool switchbacks that are built into the cliffs shortly after you first start, with a great photo op once you reach the top...

After you're done with these, you make you're way through a pretty narrow canyon and then up some more switchbacks, (21) but there nothing like these, much, much, much shorter! Finally, you reach the summit of the first look out, Scouts. It's a nice open area where you can relax without worrying about falling over the edge. You then have the choice to either go back down, or take the very strenuouse 1/2 mile hike up to Angels Landing. It is a pretty scary hike (at one point, you only have a three foot wide rock and a chain holding you back from either falling 800 feet or 1200 feet down) but once you reach the top, the views are breathtaking. (I will save this pic as I don't wanna give away the ending)

OK, now for Hidden Canyon. I actually liked this hike more than Angels Landing, because you are higher up, overlooking the canyon below you more often.

You start off at the Weeping Rock Trailhead, and make your way up through a hilly area with plenty of grass, but no trees. You then go up more of those things pictured above and follow the asphalt path for a while through a nice shady area, traversing up the mountain, until you reach the most difficult part. Just like the trip up to Angels Landing, you now must walk on a very narrow cliff overlooking Zion Canyon below. However, this time you have a mountain going up on one side of you, so it's not as scary, imo. If you manage to complete this, you are then greeted by an oasis of trees and sand, 800 feet above where you started out. (though it seems like alot more) Just like Angels, you then have the option of heading back, or going into the actual Hidden Canyon (the place you had worked so hard to get to) itself. It's even narrower than the one you traveled through at Angels, and so that just makes it so much cooler.

(from flickr, the other ones mine)

I really recommend this hike, as it was my favorite.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Illinoisboy....again great pictures. Makes me want to fly there now and go hiking.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
It's very hot down there this time of year, bring, and drink plenty of water!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Great posts , thanks again

Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
Lots of good posts, here is a site that has a lot of info as well.
Utah Forums - TripAdvisor

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM

198 posts, read 354,404 times
I have been to each as well as Arches and Canyonlands many times. There are a few albums of each in my Webshots albums. If you aren't a hiker, you will be limited to driving from one end of Bryce to the other and back..stopping at each viewing area..I recommend hiking into the canyon. The same with Zion..if you aren't a hiker, take the bus to the end and back and get off at each stop. Both parks are pretty small, but they are among my favs. Arches and Canyonlands RULE!!!

mountainmaster2003's photos and albums on webshots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: