Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,511 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving over in 5 days, I noticed that this week is getting warmer. so, do you feel that the tempurature is hot. and is it still very dry as the winter time? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
where are you moving from?

it is hot and dry here, but even now it is only in the upper 80's (or at least early this afternoon here in provo).

it gets hotter, and the sun can be very powerful here with dry, high altitude air. but it is still nicer than humid heat in my opinion.

here, if you stand in the shade, you will actually feel a difference. even in southern utah in the red rock deserts, dry heat is more comfortable than humid heat (again, in my opinion).

Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
where are you moving from?

it is hot and dry here, but even now it is only in the upper 80's (or at least early this afternoon here in provo).

it gets hotter, and the sun can be very powerful here with dry, high altitude air. but it is still nicer than humid heat in my opinion.

here, if you stand in the shade, you will actually feel a difference. even in southern utah in the red rock deserts, dry heat is more comfortable than humid heat (again, in my opinion).
I'm moving from Hawaii. the dry weather is what my husband worries about. In your opinion, why is dry better than humid? my husband's skin and lip cracked when we went there for visiting in May.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
somehow i hadn't caught in your other post (eggs and milk) that you were from hawaii. i'm a little unobservant sometimes.

dry weather certainly takes a while to get used to. some people acclimatize in just a few weeks, though i have heard of rare individuals that it takes months. cracked lips, bloody noses, cracked skin, breathing trouble--all of those can be issues, and i bet that there are more that i am not even aware of. combine that with high altitude, and some lowlanders suffer miserably when they come here.

*but* there is hope around the corner. as i mentioned earlier, you can be more comfortable in dry heat. a humid 100-degrees can feel like 120, and it doesn't matter where you go. sun or shade, it is still a humid, sticky, pipingly stagnant 100 degrees.

but in an arid climate, 100 degrees is certainly hot, and the sun can feel disproportionately strong. but then you step into the shade, and it's 85 degrees, and the breeze that was roasting you alive is now somewhat cool on your skin. go down to the canyons of southern utah and it will get even better. it can be 110 degrees in the sun, but in the slot canyons and narrows of some of the national parks, it will be a cool 70-something. some of those canyons are deep and narrow enough that it is almost like spelunking--it can get downright chilly in them even with a 110-degree inferno outside in the sun.

now, get into mold problems, central air vs. swamp coolers, and various other issues, and i really prefer dry climates. no closet mold, not so much in the way of problems with rotting floorboards and building framework. even with my rifles, in a humid climate they rust, and i end up scrubbing rust off of steel barrels every time i want to use them. in the desert, they stay dry.

i am sure that others have other reasons that i haven't even realized, about why thy like the dry climate.

good luck. aaron out.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I'll be moving over in 5 days, I noticed that this week is getting warmer. so, do you feel that the tempurature is hot. and is it still very dry as the winter time? thanks.
It is extremely hot and miserable here right now!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
It is extremely hot and miserable here right now!
Eh, miserableness is in the eye of the beholder. I LOVE this weather!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:10 PM

150 posts, read 474,668 times
Quote:
I'm moving from Hawaii. the dry weather is what my husband worries about. In your opinion, why is dry better than humid? my husband's skin and lip cracked when we went there for visiting in May.

You're in for a very extreme surprise. Utah's climate has bipolar disorder; Summer temperatures in Utah can reach the triple digits, and winter temperatures dip below freezing. You get five months of searing heat and sometimes up to six or seven months of cold weather. Some days begin cold and then warm up, or vice versa. Droughts are also very common in the state, and I'm not sure how things are in 2008.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:01 AM

273 posts, read 1,246,939 times
Quote:
It's like the bowels of HELL!! Um, well maybe not that bad. It is very interesting how the spring went from 60's and rainy to 90's and sunny in a matter of a couple of days.

Don't worry about your skin drying out. The sweat will keep it moist.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,794 times
Spring? What spring? We seem to have skipped it entirely this year.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,264 times
From my past years of living in northern Utah it seems spring and fall is often skipped. It's very hot in the summer and then barely cools down before it stops snowing. Then it snows and all of a sudden it's hot. That was the only thing that bothered me the 27 years I lived there as my favorite seasons are fall and spring. After that long winter and tons of snow I think the hot weather has been a welcome. I am not there but just going by what my children have said that still live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: