Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 AM

184 posts, read 902,103 times

Advertisements

"Guns don't kill people. Rappers do... I saw it on a documentary on BBC 2"
- Goldie Lookin Chain

Utah has no rappers... you'll be safe there!

I lived in the U.K. too, the cops are useless redtape-bogged weaklings over there. I've never been so worried about crime around me as I was when I was living in England (and I grew up in Los Angeles).

Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,054 times
You will love Utah! We're LDS but we had friends in our neighborhood who were Catholic. They were included in all of our neighborhood activities. Many of us who are LDS even attended their infant son's baptism (we don't believe infants need to be baptized) but I explained to my children that this was an important occasion to our friends and we wanted to support them. Our practices may be different but Christian love and friendship are the same! It gave us a wonderful opportunity to learn about and appreciate another faith. Our Catholic friends recently moved to California and they were so sad to leave our awesome neighborhood (which was 80% LDS).

We are selling our home in Layton-beautiful neighborhood, big house, incredible neighbors, by the way- and we are sad to leave. We're moving to build a big house cheaply. We were worried about the high LDS population here. While we are LDS ourselves, we'd heard rumors about "Utah Mormons"- none of which proved to be true. We're Californians and we were used to the way it was there. People here were so kind and accepting. You'll love it! Keep an open mind, keep a smile on your face and don't be afraid that everyone is trying to convert you- they aren't! People here can be overly friendly (in CA you don't get to know your neighbors and it's better that way), so it can be intimidating at times. Go to their activities and they'll come to yours! If you decide to live near Layton, I have GREAT advice about schools, museums, activities, etc. that I'd love to send you. The Layton/Kaysville area has so much to offer!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
We moved hear in december are not morman and we live in utah county.

So far everyone has been very friendly. However if you are not use to the dry climate get a good humidafier it does wonders and look for a place that has refirgerated air in the summers swamp coolers dont do the job (born and rsised in New Mexico its fairly dry)If you or your daughter have breathing problems then stay out of salt lake because of the inversion. As for a church you should be abel to find one with no real problems, infact utah just got a new catholic bishop, good luck and of course God bless

Old 03-13-2007, 02:08 PM

91 posts, read 484,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for some advise as I am considering moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Utah later on in the year. I am 26 and have a daughter who is 5. I am moving over with my partner who has stayed in Scotland for a year but feels its time to go home. I have agreed to come with him, but its a very big move, especially as I have a young child. I am a catholic and wonder if my daughter and I will be accepted. Any thoughts and advise you have on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
There is a very healthy catholic community in utah (although largely hispanic) and people here in utah with very few exceptions respect catholics and all religions. Oddly and sadly enough the mormon church is the most disrespected and maligned church in all of utah.

Last edited by thompson84606; 03-13-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 33,574 times
I think you'll like it in Salt Lake City. I live in Taylorsville and have no qualms about my neighborhood. My opinion, just drive through the areas you're interested in. If the people are taking care of thier lawns and homes, you know it won't be a bad neighborhood. Bad neighborhoods to me are where people no longer care what it looks like or what goes on and that usually shows up in the homes first. All areas have crime, West Valley, Rose Park, and downtown more than most. No matter where you move in the US there will be some type of crime.

Unfortunately in America, and not just Utah with "religious nuts", for some reason preying on children is on the rise. Just pay attention to your daughter and make sure you are there. My daughter will be 7 April 3rd and I still do not let her ride her bike around by herself, she knows that unless my mother or myself is in the front yard she is not allowed out front by herself--she has to stay in the backyard and play. I have white weaving on my chainlink fence so it isn't as easy to see if there is a child playing by themselves in back. However, my neighborhood is nice and the other children run all over by themselves--just not mine!

As the mother, you can decide how safe your child will be and how involved in their lives. School, play, safety, sports, etc...

Everyone in my neighborhood watches out for each other. We watch our neighbors and feed their cats when they go on trips and our other neighbors make sure our lawn is taken care of when we leave. Just make friends with the people you live next to and no matter where you move, it won't be an issue because everyone looks out for each other. And if you don't want to hear trains and airplanes, then don't live by them!

Just my opinion.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:47 AM

14 posts, read 48,500 times
Depends on where you plan to live...Northern UT or Southern UT? My husband is from Cache Valley, and although I think its just about one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen, its too cold for me in the winter. We have made our home in St.George. We have a 7yr old, and the schools are great, the people are from ALL OVER (lots of retirees), and its pretty family oriented. I'm Catholic, too, and my husband is LDS. St. George has a nice Catholic church, but it pales in comparison to the cathedral in Salt Lake City.
I have lived in alot of different cities (Boston, San Francisco, Savannah), but I think St. George is the cleanest and safest place yet.
Good luck with your move!!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM

91 posts, read 484,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizelle View Post
Depends on where you plan to live...Northern UT or Southern UT? My husband is from Cache Valley, and although I think its just about one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen, its too cold for me in the winter. We have made our home in St.George. We have a 7yr old, and the schools are great, the people are from ALL OVER (lots of retirees), and its pretty family oriented. I'm Catholic, too, and my husband is LDS. St. George has a nice Catholic church, but it pales in comparison to the cathedral in Salt Lake City.
I have lived in alot of different cities (Boston, San Francisco, Savannah), but I think St. George is the cleanest and safest place yet.
Good luck with your move!!
Unfortunately you named there three cities and St. George is a town. St. George is safe, although rather unsafe by utah standards. I remember in 2001 they had their first murder in 10 or 14 years or so and now they have two or three every year. the assault and rape rates are rather elevated due to a lot of drugs and transients...a big problem for the fastest growing town in the nation. there is no culture, no attractions unless you live in the national parks, the schools are subpar by many standards, obviously better than inner-city schools, but utah as a whole lags in education. All you have to do is talk to someone who was born here(st. george/washington/enterprise/hurricane...or should I say hurricun) and you'll know what I mean.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,797 times
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for some advise as I am considering moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Utah later on in the year. I am 26 and have a daughter who is 5. I am moving over with my partner who has stayed in Scotland for a year but feels its time to go home. I have agreed to come with him, but its a very big move, especially as I have a young child. I am a catholic and wonder if my daughter and I will be accepted. Any thoughts and advise you have on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Is your partner from Utah? Than he would know. But if he isn't this is Big Mormon home. My daughter went to a wonderful private school here in Salt Lake City. Which really helped. There are many religions and atmosphere has improved but can be a little tough in public elementary school for non-Mormon kids. As the Mormons are the majority. They have small church buildings as part of the schools and have services daily.
On the brighter side-this area is very family oriented. And we have some wonderful Mormon friends. And you being from Scotland would be neat.
We enjoy living in the town itself(easier to get around) but there are lots of new areas being built in the valley.

Last edited by Nancy J; 04-13-2007 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: few clearities

Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,687 times
Default Need Information on Glasgow for my father....please

Hello! My father is planning a move to Glasgow Scotland this fall. He has never been there but has decided that he would like to move for 6 months minimal. Can you please let me know where to start such as flats to rent or even names of realtors that I can contact? Also, do you have a local newspaper in Glasgow that I could order for more information? I would greatly appreciate any help you might be able to give. He is going into this blindly. For he knows NO ONE there but is determined to give it a try. We presently live in Missouri. I thank you kindly in advance! Luci

Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
I think you will find it a hard slog to get information on Glasgow in the Utah forum, though undoubtedly a few people have Scottish ancestry. I myself have been to Scotland, though to Edinburgh, not Glasgow. It’s a lovely place. I’d try craigslist.com. They probably have a Glasgow page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah