Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 16,381 times

Advertisements

Hi All
There is a good chance that my Husband & myself will be moving to the Orem area this summer. He might have to be there befor me. I am a small town girl up until 1989 I lived in a small town of abut 400, The closest other city was 60 miles away. I have always live in the interior of Alaska, I currently live in North Pole, Alaska. I just want to ask what kind of changes I will encounter? I am a shy keep to myself type of person. Infact crouds kind of make me uncomfortable. I am in my 50's and my children are all grown and on their own. I love to garden, read, and verious crafts. I have been reading many of the posts and they all seem so negitive(sorry if I affend anyone). I have my own religion and I accept everyones own choices. I love people (more one on one) Not good at larg social gatherings. I have one grandchild. I love children all shapes shizes colors and religion. I have had my family (6 brothers & sister) close. I am sure you understand that this is a big step for me. Anyway back to my original question, What is it like in that area, are the people friendly? What type of shops are there, I enjoy embroidery, quilting, watercolor painting & acrilic. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,794 times
I live near Orem, and I used to live in Orem, and I really like it. The traffic is really getting bad, though. Orem has quite a few nice neighborhoods, some of them off the beaten path, quiet and established. You could find something there you'd like, I think, as long as you look in the quieter areas. There are surrounding town that are smaller, too, such as Lindon, Pleasant Grove, and American Fork. You might consider them if you want a more laid-back, small-town feel.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
The area is bigger than Fairbanks, but probably the equivalent size of Anchorage if that gives you an idea. You can still find neighborhoods that have a small town-ish feel. Be ready for hot summers, but the winters will seem balmy.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Thankyou for the Information. I will let hubby that we need to look closer to American Fork. I have mixed feelings about this move. I am ready to experience something new, but hard to leave every thing I know.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM

10 posts, read 23,919 times
I grew up in orem and now live in american fork. with your interests you would probably like all the craft stores in the area. there are also quilting clubs and such that you might enjoy. I know a common fear is the mormons trying to convert you but most of them will leave you be on the subject if you are honest with them. you would probably enjoy participating in a lot of the relief societies activities and most people are courteous enough to respect your beliefs and still welcome you to thier activities. I say most because there are those few that are over-zealous. I hope you don't let those few spoil your views of the silent majority.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
as a fellow "crafter" let me tell you, you will be in craft heaven! the possibilities are endless!

Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 131,293 times
Default Orem's Nice

Orem's a really nice city, I grew up here, the traffic is frustrating, but that's how all of the Wasatch Front is, you're not going to escape it. The scenery is incredible, I'm LDS (mormon) and I'm very tolerant of other people's choices, most of my good friends are not LDS, you'll find people who aren't as tolerant as me for sure, but just brush them off, not everyone's like that here. Utah County is a very sheltered area from the world, but it's an incredibly beautiful area. If you're into scrapbooking and stuff like that, you'll be happy here.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Well, BlueIris94, I'm in the same boat! My husband has moved to Utah (has a job there), we have our house sold, have one purchased in Santaquin and I'm moving at the end of March. I'm totally a small town girl, lived in Iowa all my life. We have traveled quite a bit, but I'm not much for driving in the traffic, so I guess I'll have to learn. We won't know anyone in Utah. We don't have a lot of family here in Iowa, but it's hard to leave your neighbors and friends that you've known your whole life. We had to make a change because my husband's job was cut where he worked and my job is not the most ideal one, plus 3 employers in this town have closed in the last year so there are no opportunities here for a good job. The move will be good for us in some ways. I am almost 50, love crafts, quilting and scrapbooking, so I'll love all the stores there too. Hope your move turns out for the best, and mine too!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
Well, BlueIris94, I'm in the same boat! My husband has moved to Utah (has a job there), we have our house sold, have one purchased in Santaquin and I'm moving at the end of March. I'm totally a small town girl, lived in Iowa all my life. We have traveled quite a bit, but I'm not much for driving in the traffic, so I guess I'll have to learn. We won't know anyone in Utah. We don't have a lot of family here in Iowa, but it's hard to leave your neighbors and friends that you've known your whole life. We had to make a change because my husband's job was cut where he worked and my job is not the most ideal one, plus 3 employers in this town have closed in the last year so there are no opportunities here for a good job. The move will be good for us in some ways. I am almost 50, love crafts, quilting and scrapbooking, so I'll love all the stores there too. Hope your move turns out for the best, and mine too!
I lived in Iowa (Ames) until I was 19. Each place has its plusses and minuses. I miss the greenery and rafter-rattling thunderstorms, but I don't miss the winters (they are much more severe in Iowa), or the humidity. Good luck with the move. I saw a car on the freeway yesterday with Iowa plates. Maybe we should start an ex-Iowan club?

By the way, it is possible to drive to Iowa in one day from Utah. Not fun, but possible.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 AM

Thankyou all for the replys. I hope everyone is half as nice as you have been. . I was raised to not judge a person for what or who they are, but by who they are on the inside, and I hope that I have passed that on to my children. I also hope that people will judge me that way also. I am a christian plain and simple, no lables, no special box, just a christian. The Crafting options sound great. The driving part scares the life out of me .
Hay I have a 2 year old american eskimo dog that will be moving with me. Any advice on what I will need to do to keep her healthy and safe? She is my cure to an empty nest. Thank you all again, this is making the move not quite so scarry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah