Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times

Advertisements

I dont think its that they think were bad by any means, they just want us to join them in there beliefs. I wish they would live and let live. Realize that alot of people dont believe what they believe and dont have an interest in changing what they believe.

check out denver though, when I worked for dish network our dispatch office was in denver so we would chat and they all liked the area and never had anything bad to say. I think they get worse snow storms there though because they would shut down the dispatch office every now and then where we NEVER had our office closed due to snow

Old 08-28-2009, 01:00 PM

401 posts, read 855,267 times
I agree. Live and let live (at least the religion).

I am checking out things about the Denver area on City Data.
Fortunately, I have been able to convince my wife about moving to CO.
Just hope this recession and housing market start showing signs of a rebound soon.

How have ya'll been since the move back home?
I hope all is going well for ya'll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I dont think its that they think were bad by any means, they just want us to join them in there beliefs. I wish they would live and let live. Realize that alot of people dont believe what they believe and dont have an interest in changing what they believe.

check out denver though, when I worked for dish network our dispatch office was in denver so we would chat and they all liked the area and never had anything bad to say. I think they get worse snow storms there though because they would shut down the dispatch office every now and then where we NEVER had our office closed due to snow

Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post

Just hope this recession and housing market start showing signs of a rebound soon.

good luck wherever you end up, french. and wherever you do end up, look into the outdoor sports of the area. colorado has some awesome stuff to do too and shares much of the same geographical makeup as utah. lotsa fun skiing, camping, hiking, climbing, etc–and you don't even have to be an outdoorsperson to enjoy them.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
Quote:

we have been alright. Starting to think that moving back as possibly one of the biggest mistakes we have made. SLC isnt perfect but 99% of the reasons we moved back are no longer valid. Our friends have apparently moved on, the job I had lined up has been giving me the run around for 2 months now, my wife cant find a job since she is pregnant and so neither of us have health insurance or jobs. basically we left good paying jobs with good benefits in good companys to come here and sit in our room all day every day

Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
It is sad that this still happens today. I tried my hardest to convince my wife, but she is not willing to change her mind. As much as it pains me, I must start researching the Denver area.
I'm sorry to hear that. I know that a lot of people like Denver. I've never lived there, but I was definitely not impressed when I visited there. I personally don't think it could even begin to compare with Salt Lake City.

Quote:
I just hope that someday (soon) the LDS people realize that non-LDS are not all bad people and that the LDS children shoould be taught to respect others religion, etc.... as others respect the LDS religion.
I think the vast majority of us already realize that. I was just thinking a few days ago about some of the kids I grew up with. Most were LDS, but a few weren't. I can honestly say that it didn't make a single solitary bit of difference to any of us kids, and none of us ever once heard our parents tell us we shouldn't play with the non-LDS kids. That was over 50 years ago. I would think it's gotten even better over time, not worse.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM

95 posts, read 184,426 times
Quote:
I would like to move to Utah but I am having a hard time convencing my wife. She has heard so many stories about how LDS people treat non-LDS people. My brother lives in Layton and has moved his son into a Catholic school because some LDS children gave him a hard time.
My two sons are 3 1/2 and 6 years old and do not want to subject them to this type of situation. We are good-hearted people just trying to find the perfect place in Utah without being looked at differently.
I have noticed that while living here near Tampa, FL that the people are not as friendly as I thought. I just want to live somewhere where there are good people who do not care what religion you belong to.
Also, can anyone suggest a good place for a Catholic family to live in peace free from being looked at as an outsider.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!!
Think about it really hard. I would consider SLC, since there are many catholics there. I just happened upon this forum and was comenting in the new england section as my wife and I just returned from there. Noticing the Utah section I recalled my odd experince in Utah when I was 19. Really nice time there accept for my flipping incident of coarse. I think Its time for another visit.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think the vast majority of us already realize that. I was just thinking a few days ago about some of the kids I grew up with. Most were LDS, but a few weren't. I can honestly say that it didn't make a single solitary bit of difference to any of us kids, and none of us ever once heard our parents tell us we shouldn't play with the non-LDS kids. That was over 50 years ago. I would think it's gotten even better over time, not worse.
i agree with this and add that it mirrors my experience growing up.

i was an 80's baby raised in downtown slc (just a block north of west high school). i would bet that upwards of 40% of my friends when i was in grade school through high school were not mormon. further, somewhere in that percentile were not white either; there were quite a few 'minorities' living in slc even then.

none of my nonmormon friends ever acted strange around us mormons, and none of my mormon friends ever acted strange around my nonmormon friends.

granted, this comes from the perspective of a child and later a teen that was naive to those kind of differences and was not looking for them–but that is partially my point. if the problem was as churchwide as some people believe, it would be everywhere; i would have been affected and so would all of my friends.

no one that i knew growing up had ever been told by their parents that they could not hang out with nonmormons (if any did have parents like that, they were doing an awesome job of completely ignoring that mandate).

so, i hung out with nonmormon friends, went to nonmormon church services, dated nonmormon girls, etc. it was never even an issue.

aaron out.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 PM

I tried very hard guys/gals to convince my wife that UT was a good place to raise out kids, but she is one tough cookie. I was able to convince her about moving to Denver, so I am very happy about that. At least I will be closer to UT where we can possibly vacation and enjoy the natural beauty of the area. Now, I just pray that we can line up jobs, sell the house in FL (without losing our butts), and move out west.
Wish me luck!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM

I hope everything perks up for ya'll.
Stay positive and good luck!!

LaFrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
we have been alright. Starting to think that moving back as possibly one of the biggest mistakes we have made. SLC isnt perfect but 99% of the reasons we moved back are no longer valid. Our friends have apparently moved on, the job I had lined up has been giving me the run around for 2 months now, my wife cant find a job since she is pregnant and so neither of us have health insurance or jobs. basically we left good paying jobs with good benefits in good companys to come here and sit in our room all day every day

Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Stycotl, can't rep you again, but great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah