Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:38 PM

401 posts, read 855,267 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Metairie, LA. People back home are very friendly and it is very easy to strike up a conversation with almost anyone.
I am in Riverview, FL now and hoping that the real-estate market gets better soon because I really want to move out west. I am tired of the heat, humidity, and hurricanes. I am an outdoorsy-type and love to be outside with my two sons (6 and 3.5).
I may also need help convincing the wife that not everybody in Utah will shun us for being new to the area and of a different religion. Any ideas???

Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times
I am not LDS and I doubt I will ever convert. I think u need to find a very diverse neighborhood. I would stay in Salt Lake County. Sandy is nice and Daybreak in South Jordan is nice (or so I heard). I know a new ward/temple is being built in Daybreak so I'm not sure if more LDS will move there because of that or not. I moved from the East Coast as well and I can relate to the humidity and the constant rain storms. Here is it hot but very dry. U will hear people complain about humidity here and I laugh at them. If u like snow than u will like it here. I haven't been here yet to experience the winters but just by asking around they dont' have snow days in schools. My son is 6 as well and he made friends with the neighbor child and they are LDS. The only issue is I have different beliefs for my son than they do for their kids. Here u will find people very young with alot of kids and the driving.....ugh its awful Im not going to lie to u. Anymore questions???? Personally I would rather be in Las Vegas than here but I was transplanted by my husband here. This is a state I never had any intention of visiting much less living in.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
For the record there are snow days, except they are very rare; the only time we get em is when the power goes out

LAFrench, tell your wife to read the posts here about how there are lots of non-Mormons here and they haven't been shunned, and if you haven't already, tell her how there are about 50 percent or less Mormons in the SL Valley.

Last edited by Lmejh; 08-21-2008 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: screwed up OP name

Old 08-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Well the school my son goes to said the first late opening they had was last year and that was the first in like 13 years. Im going by that. Like I said I haven't been here with the winter yet and if its bad my son won't be going to school. I don't trust Utah drivers now much less when the liquid stuff comes from the sky

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM

I will do my best to convince her, but we will have to definitely wait until the real estate market picks back up.
Newtoutah, what cities are in Salt Lake County? Are there any Catholic schools in Salt Lake County (just in case I have to send the boys there if they have trouble with LDS children)?
I have a brother who lives in Layton (Davis County). He says the schools up there are the better schools in Utah.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM

Ok Im going to try to do this....South Jordan, West Jordan, Sandy I know for a fact are Salt Lake County. Im not sure if Draper is or not. I get confused enough with the stupid streets and the way they are named around here. Im sorry but I dont think I will ever get used to numbers instead of names especially when they start over in certain places. Its very frustrating. I know Challenger Schools are supposed to be good. They are a non religious school system. The only thing I am noticing with the school system is they are way behind in times. My son is learning stuff he learned last year and since they are stupid and started him on a track already in session, the friends he could have made already are cliqued together which breaks my hearts. The first time I find out my son is excluded because he isn't LDS than thats when I take action. Kids are kids and regardless of religion or race they should be able to play together. David county I think have more LDS than Salt Lake, but again I could be wrong.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
I will do my best to convince her, but we will have to definitely wait until the real estate market picks back up.
Newtoutah, what cities are in Salt Lake County? Are there any Catholic schools in Salt Lake County (just in case I have to send the boys there if they have trouble with LDS children)?
I have a brother who lives in Layton (Davis County). He says the schools up there are the better schools in Utah.
There are so many cities in Salt Lake County that it is hard to name them all.

There is a huge catholic school in Draper. St. John the Baptist elementary and then it continues up to Juan Diego High School. I have heard that it is an amazing school.

Draper is indeed in Salt Lake County.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 AM

I wasn't sure thats why I didn't say anything

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM

What about the Catholic schools near SLC itself?
Also, do you know of any Catholic schools in Davis county?

As always, thanks ya'll!!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Well Draper is in SL valley so that would be one but for a full list check out:
Utah Catholic Schools (http://www.utahcatholicschools.org/schools.html - broken link)

The only Catholic one I've heard of in Davis Coutny is in Bountiful. St. Olaf is pre K-8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah