Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times

Advertisements

I know...it is almost a da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don't situation, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisjoy View Post
Living in utah can be a very wonderful place to live or extremely challenging. ABsolutely beautiful mountains and tons of things to do recreationally. It is getting better all the time with the addition of new people coming here from other parts of the country. I am 35 amd have lived here my entire life. It is great for children as far as the availablility of edited movies, childrens activities, family oriented advertising, and an emphasis on modesty etc. Alcohol consumption is considered completely taboo and is only done by those with the worst moral character. Women have a very high rate of depression here due to the demands of being a stepford housewife. Being Catholic in a Mormon State, I feel I have always been an internal "outsider". If you not LDS, your neighbors will haunt you with casseroles, cookies and invites to Mormon functions in order to open that magical convert door. People here are under the impression they have to "save" anyone that isn't Mormon. If you are not Mormon it is assumed by most, that it is so because you don't want to follow the strict moral code of the Mormon church. People have a hard time believing that anyone could be happy, spiritual, moral and faithful in a religion different than thier own. I also have 2 children from mixed ethnic backgrounds and my extended family is very diverse. Hispanic and Native American. I am very concerned about the level of racial and cultural ignorance here. Non Mormon, Non-Whites have the most difficult time. I am learning this more and more. At first it may not be noticeable because people here will always smile at you. It isn't until you get racial e-mail forwards and your sweet neighbors are in private discussion that you find out the terrible nature of thier sweet spirits. Please move here. If you do not fit into the "white and delightsome" Mormon community.....the rest of us need you here.
Are you in Provo or St. George or something? I can't even believe we are talking about the same state. Just live in Salt Lake & it is not a big deal if are LDS or not LDS. I've just been here a couple months and I know a good dozen+ LDS people. Not one has seemed even remotely interested in converting me.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
It's a no-win situation. If I don't talk to my non-Mormon neighbor, it's because I'm a bigot and I'm excluding them because of their religion. If I do talk to my non-Mormon neighbor (or, heaven forbid, take them a casserole when they're sick or invite them to an activity) it's because I'm a fake, and just want to convert them.

*shrug* I give up.
For sure. Just because an LDS person is being nice, is not because they want to convert you and force you into something you don't want to do...geesh! When I lived there I invited tons, of people to activities the LDS church had to make them and their kids feel welcome. I didn't have any other motive other than just trying the be neighborly. I am sure there is some isolated cases, but even when I wasn't mormon I didn't see it. I could say the same thing where I live now. I live in the bible belt. I have been invited to many baptist events from people that I know here, from work etc. If I want to go, I do, if I don't I don't. I don't think they are trying to convert me to be a baptist. They are just being NICE!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Everyone knows I like living here - I love the weather, the dry air, the recreation, scenery, most everything. But I'll be honest - I'm TIRED of being visited by mormon missionaries. Week after week they come and try to convert me. They never get the hint!! I'm becoming angry over it. I am very nice and polite to them, and yet the next week I'm visited again. One day I'm going to lose my temper over it - it's getting old real quick. Don't get me wrong, a few of my best friends are mormons, who never try to convert me - but it seems that most times when I move, and the word gets out I'm not mormon - I'm magically visited by missionaries.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Everyone knows I like living here - I love the weather, the dry air, the recreation, scenery, most everything. But I'll be honest - I'm TIRED of being visited by mormon missionaries. Week after week they come and try to convert me. They never get the hint!! I'm becoming angry over it. I am very nice and polite to them, and yet the next week I'm visited again. One day I'm going to lose my temper over it - it's getting old real quick. Don't get me wrong, a few of my best friends are mormons, who never try to convert me - but it seems that most times when I move, and the word gets out I'm not mormon - I'm magically visited by missionaries.

Must be where you live. Huh...I have lived here 14 years and only had missionaries twice. In that 14 years, I have lived in three towns and no one seems to care to convert us at all.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
Why don't you contact the ...person in charge of missionaries (they have an actual title, can't seem to remember it) in "your" ward, and tell them "thanks, but enough is enough".

We have had alot of missionaries, sometimes once a month, sometimes twice a year. There was one that ticked my H off (or maybe he had just had enough and they came on the wrong day), and my H called the guy in the ward who acts as the liasion and said to tell them not to come here. They only just recently did, and it has been a good year or more.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:44 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Why don't you contact the ...person in charge of missionaries (they have an actual title, can't seem to remember it) in "your" ward, and tell them "thanks, but enough is enough".

We have had alot of missionaries, sometimes once a month, sometimes twice a year. There was one that ticked my H off (or maybe he had just had enough and they came on the wrong day), and my H called the guy in the ward who acts as the liasion and said to tell them not to come here. They only just recently did, and it has been a good year or more.
If I knew who was in charge of them I would. I've kindly told them to stay away, to no avail. Note that it's not always the same people who come. This is in Herriman. But, I've had it happen when I moved to Layton, Bountiful, and Sandy. I've just never had them be so tenacious as they've been here. Like I said, I've got nothing against mormons and mean this not as a rant against them, I just don't like trying to be converted each time I move. Maybe I'll just quit answering the door when they come by.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,467 times
Quote:
That is annoying and somewhat disrespectful to you. I would find out who is the Bishop of the area you live him and give him a call and maybe he could contact the mission President. If you're not at all interested they need to respect that.
or next time they come to your door ask them for the name and number of their mission President and call him yourself

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
If I knew who was in charge of them I would. I've kindly told them to stay away, to no avail. Note that it's not always the same people who come. This is in Herriman. But, I've had it happen when I moved to Layton, Bountiful, and Sandy. I've just never had them be so tenacious as they've been here. Like I said, I've got nothing against mormons and mean this not as a rant against them, I just don't like trying to be converted each time I move. Maybe I'll just quit answering the door when they come by.
Definitely don't answer the door! And if you do because you don't know it's them, just say "not interested" and close the door. Maybe you are being too nice so they think there is still a chance. I've yet to have any stop by (and I live 2 doors down from an LDS church!). I'm sort of surprised they bother - is this really an effective way to recruit new members in this area?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Offer 'em a beer. That's what my dad used to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah