Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:03 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times

Advertisements

Ok I pondered whether I should do this..so I am

1. THE DRIVERS SUK!!!!!!!!!

2. SOME VERY JUDGEMENTAL PEOPLE HERE

3. TO MANY KIDS HAVING KIDS HERE..AND YES I AM A MOTHER BUT I GUESS ALOT OF PEOPLE HERE THINK I AM THE GRANDMOTHER

4. SINUSES ARE ALL MESSED UP CONSTANTLY

5. SCHOOL SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE STUCK IN THE 50'S

6. THE WAGES FOR ACCOUNTING JOBS SUK....WHO PAYS 10 BUCKS AN HOUR ANYMORE???

7. INSURANCE COSTS WAY TO MUCH

8. MAKING RENTERS PAY HOA FEES AND RENTERS DON'T EVEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO TO THE MEETINGS AND HAVE THEIR SAY

9. MOST PLACES CLOSING AT 9..ARGHHHHHHH

10. GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS

ONE PLUS FOR THIS STATE..SUNDAYS ROCK FOR SHOPPING!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,230,972 times
Default an indivual perspective......

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststeel View Post
I thought I'd confound everyone, and list some of the best reasons for living in Utah...yeah, shocking, I know!

1. Terrific Infrastructure - I-15 (I only know the SLC to Utah County portion) is great. 4-5 lanes with a commuter lane for a metropolitan population of about 1 million. Bridges/overpasses/underpasses are relatively new for the most part and in good shape. If you don't think so, check back East sometime and compare.

2. Traffic is a breeze despite residents' complaints...they've never seen real traffic (I've suffered through D.C., N.Y.C., Dallas, S.F. and L.A. traffic). Commute to SLC and Provo is easy with rare traffic stoppages.

3. Natural beauty - And I haven't had time to visit down south yet. The vistas from the mountains are amazing. We are still shocked everytime we drive to the canyons that they are so close to where we live.

4. Outdoor activities - Not just the winter stuff, which is world-class, but summer stuff too like hiking the canyons, mountain biking, boating, etc. And it is all close to where most people live.

5. I do like Sundays here as a non-LDS guy...it's like the SNL sketch "Christmastime for the Jews". I love that Costco belongs to me on Sundays.

6. Movie theaters - I haven't been to any theaters anywhere else (I'm not claiming they don't exist...I'm just not aware of their existence) that have reserved seating...what a great idea! That is what I would miss most about Utah!

7. No matter what reason you attribute it to, it is alot safer here than most other places.

8. At least you don't have to worry as much about drunken drivers here.

9. DMV here is not as painful as in most other states I've experienced.

10. I will put the weather on my list. The heat here is not that bad, especially since there is no humidity. Try going through the dog days in D.C. or Texas with 100 deg heat and 90% humidity. I'll take this anyday. And depressing? I don't know about that. The winter was definitely hard...we're stuck up on the "Point of the Mountain" and had snow drifts 8 feet high. But there were some days with sun in the winter. My days in New England were really bleak...days were short and there was precious little sun from November to April.
1.) Hello.....potholes, uneven paving, speed set way too low......

2.) riding brakes is a big thing.....mechanics love this state.......

3.) sorry.....other states have mountains too, and vistas not cluttered with houses and church steeples........think Montana......wins hands down.

4.) no where to go that isn't overcrowed with all 5 generations of every family
in attendance........

5.) 'yeah, we could go there, and do that....oh, wait.....they're CLOSED today'

6.) no stadium seating with the easy chairs here, heater up way too high, and the only quiet ones are the two teens that sneeked inside, but are being kicked out, because someone thought it their obligation to 'tell'.......

7.) yes, it is safer than some other areas.........just don't forget to water your lawn......

8.) no....they're staying home where it's safe from all the people driving around under the influence of prescription drugs.

9.) provided that you know in advance which ones handles only registrations, and which one handles only licenses....

10.) winters are great, the snow is awesome, it covers everything up and actually makes this state look nice for awhile.....now if I could just keep the neighbors kids from making snow angels in my front yard.......

it's all just personal opinion........

Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
1. Sinus...I see I am not alone

2. Chain restaurants

3. Davis Co. labels animals over 5yrs as "unadoptable" and "euthanizes" them

4. Inversion

5. Us/vs/Them

hmm... guess that's it. Love this place.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
7.) yes, it is safer than some other areas.........just don't forget to water your lawn......

Sorry...this one just made me laugh!!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM

6. My book club is a bit too "conservative" (apparently my definition of "swearing" differs greatly from their's!, among other things)

Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Ok I pondered whether I should do this..so I am

1. THE DRIVERS SUK!!!!!!!!!

2. SOME VERY JUDGEMENTAL PEOPLE HERE

3. TO MANY KIDS HAVING KIDS HERE..AND YES I AM A MOTHER BUT I GUESS ALOT OF PEOPLE HERE THINK I AM THE GRANDMOTHER

4. SINUSES ARE ALL MESSED UP CONSTANTLY

5. SCHOOL SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE STUCK IN THE 50'S

6. THE WAGES FOR ACCOUNTING JOBS SUK....WHO PAYS 10 BUCKS AN HOUR ANYMORE???

7. INSURANCE COSTS WAY TO MUCH

8. MAKING RENTERS PAY HOA FEES AND RENTERS DON'T EVEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO TO THE MEETINGS AND HAVE THEIR SAY

9. MOST PLACES CLOSING AT 9..ARGHHHHHHH

10. GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS

ONE PLUS FOR THIS STATE..SUNDAYS ROCK FOR SHOPPING!!!!!!!

Yea I forgot that the smog levels are higher here that LA CA
And yes in spring time the pot holes make the tire company's a bundle doing alignments

And kids having kids is so true, I hate being around mothers here with children and there looks of protection similar to a Mare and her filly.

I blame this on the news media and the excessive amount of warped sexual habits here.

The prisons top attendants are sex criminals and drug addicts.

You can't even smile at a child without feeling ambushed by the parents now so I stay the hell away in how it sadly annoys me.

And no matter what color you are there is a great deal of judgmental attitudes here "and don't have to much fun" at that Mexican restaurant before the blue eyes blondes cast there judgmental eyes on you.
Talk about your blood boiling

And what's up the the greed on property tax increases in a soft market what a bunch of out right criminals to beat down the little guy.

I live in Cottonwood Heights and they now have there own police department that will soon sneak in more taxes

You should see these guys hiding on side street in there speed traps

I'm going to make a bumper stick just for Cottonwood Heights

Welcome to Gestopo Heights the home of higher taxes and speed traps

I miss the California and Hawaii Sunday afternoons with the festive atmosphere and how as a group not feeling guilty we weren't in church.
Get me out of here, maybe sell my house at a lose just so i can breath again

Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I'm going to make a bumper stick just for Cottonwood Heights

Welcome to Gestopo Heights the home of higher taxes and speed traps
I had to laugh at this...for years my dad did this...not ACTUAL bumperstickers, just electrical tape on the bumper... "mario cuomo sucks" or "LILCO stole all my money"

Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM

119 posts, read 585,459 times
The only one I can think of is the liquor laws and only having 3.2 beer, but that is more my husband's complaint, not mine.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2penguins View Post
The only one I can think of is the liquor laws and only having 3.2 beer, but that is more my husband's complaint, not mine. :lol:
Don't you just hate the liquor stores here and the long lines and cops waiting outside to to a sobriety test on you

And why are all the liquor stores so much more busy when theirs a convention at the temple

Old 09-09-2008, 12:46 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,230,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post

I miss the California and Hawaii Sunday afternoons with the festive atmosphere and how as a group not feeling guilty we weren't in church.
Get me out of here, maybe sell my house at a lose just so i can breath again

I miss california so much too......spending a sunday afternoon down in Old Town San Diego.....the sights...the people......THE ACTIVITIES!!!!!
Life here is so boring......

We're putting our house on the market soon.....thinking of asking less than we paid for it, so we can get out faster.........lol, how sad......

Last edited by VC dreamer; 09-09-2008 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: keyboard is being difficult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah