U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM

424 posts, read 1,041,851 times

Advertisements

Considering there a Ten worst things about living in Honolulu how about one on Utah?

Been here a little over 3 years and here's my list a list that's bad enough to wait for home prices to go back up and get the heck out of Dodge.

OK, I was careful to not make any personal attacks so thatís ones out.
Spell check criticism is a weak attack
And telling me don't let the door hit you in the A** is not cleaver or original. So here we go..........

1)Dumb drivers, worse in the winter
There not to smart here with the need for an open book DMV test even

2)No speed bumps to help keep these idiots in there lane, they just wonder over with no regard. (yea I know the snow plows would scrap them off but please

3) No hands off cell phone law state wide, talk about stupidity when you think your car is your living room or putting on make-up and texting on top of it.

4) What a police state with unreal unmarked cop cars for the chicken tickets.
Should see the speed traps they set up for the soccer moms

5) Public TV looks to be designed for the stepford wife with "The Lawrence Welk Show" "Little House on the Prairie"
"Dragnet" War Veterans of Orem and the wars they fought. (not every night please)

6)Way too many fat food places and the people show it big time with there excessive obesity and the capital for prosaic users.
Hang out at the candy section at Target and see the mad rush for a sugar high, talk about traffic jam

7) No festivals or big events on Sunday, only thing good about it is Costco's empty.

8) Wages are appalling here, if someone tell you Utah's cost of livings low get ready for depressing low wages too and they are.
Great for the employers not the workers, people leave in groves because they can't afford to live here anymore.

9)Water, gas, electricity, some of the highest in the country.
Gasoline is the highest in the continental US in Utah , caused by greed and poor regulations

10) And finally, dreadful weather, having yes 4 seasons, cold, even colder, hot, still hot There should be a law here for people to put in a desert landscape over lawns because of the massive water bills here.

So long Utah, hurry up Fed and boost the mortgage companyís so I can get out of here, Ill take Hawaii any day over this.

-------

I hope some of you concur to my findings

Old 09-09-2008, 12:01 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,895,571 times
1. Insane drivers. They think they own the road and think it's ok to use cell phones, text, get dressed and even read a book while they drive.

2. Everything closes at 9 or 10.

3. Miserable weather. We have two seasons here: Ice cold and searing hot. And to top it off, the humidity is extremely low all the time and it is the driest, most depressing weather I have ever experienced before.

4. The housing market is ridiculous here. Most of the houses are severely overpriced here and are not worth what the owners are charging.

5. This place is a Liberal's worst nightmare.

6. There is not much variety when it comes to restaurants (unless all you like is chain restaurants).

7. People are way too nice here. It's kind of creepy. Like in the Stepford Wives movies.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
1. Insane drivers. They think they own the road and think it's ok to use cell phones, text, get dressed and even read a book while they drive.

3. Miserable weather. We have two seasons here: Ice cold and searing hot. And to top it off, the humidity is extremely low all the time and it is the driest, most depressing weather I have ever experienced before.

4. The housing market is ridiculous here. Most of the houses are severely overpriced here and are not worth what the owners are charging.

6. There is not much variety when it comes to restaurants (unless all you like is chain restaurants).

7. People are way too nice here. It's kind of creepy. Like in the Stepford Wives movies.

great!

I understand the level of negative and positive here in UT
The altitude gets my sinuses and I almost panic getting congestion in my noise.
I think sea level a more conformable place and 3 years hasn't been paradise.

Last edited by Goldwing; 09-09-2008 at 01:40 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,604,438 times
Quote:

Except for number 3...you have just described Long Island...LOL.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
The altitude gets my sinuses and I almost panic getting congestion in my noise. I think sea level a more conformable place.
Absolutely. I didn't realize how much better it was at sea level until I went out to California. It was much better.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
3) No hands off cell phone law state wide, talk about stupidity when you think your car is your living room or putting on make-up and texting on top of it.

I'm amazed if you look at them for there recklessness they go into...."I'm Entitled To It" and your annoying me, just because my reaction time is that of a 70yr old lady wanting to do damage"

...... what da?
What if there already 70yr on the phone... 140yrs old?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 AM

515 posts, read 1,470,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
You're kidding, right? the weather is 100x better here than LI. I can't believe people complain about the weather. It's sunny and comfortable, without all the rain & humidity the Northeast gets, and the winters are just as cold there, but with bone chilling dampness. I left the Northeast mostly because the weather is so much better here.

Quote:

These lists crack me up. Complaining that people are too nice? Personally, I find that a refreshing change as well. If you prefer rude & obnoxious people, consider moving to the NYC area - you'll be in heaven! lol People will find stuff to complain about just for the sake of complaining.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 AM

cinnabon
These lists crack me up. Complaining that people are too nice? Personally, I find that a refreshing change as well. If you prefer rude & obnoxious people, consider moving to the NYC area - you'll be in heaven! lol People will find stuff to complain about just for the sake of complaining.

That's what I meant by
"I understand the level of negative and positive here in UT"

I'm spoiled by sea level I guess
My noise is in a panic even after 3 years here in UT
Altitude 4800 ft

Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 AM

2,178 posts, read 5,111,493 times
Most of the 10 worst things about Utah sound just like most of the 10 worst things about all the other states.
No, I don't live in Utah. I have visited there and it has its pros and cons just like any other state.
Guess it just depends on what you like and what you want to tolerate. No matter where you are, you may find something you don't like.
As far as crazy drivers and chicken soup cops, their everywhere.
My wifes twin sister lives in Eureka. I love the mountains and the fact that you can be in the high desert in an hour and explore to your hearts content.
I always look forward to visiting there.
Have to be honest and admit I don't know how I would feel if I lived there year round but my experiences in Utah have been pleasant ones. I think it is a beautifull state and the people are friendly.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 AM

34 posts, read 95,181 times
I thought I'd confound everyone, and list some of the best reasons for living in Utah...yeah, shocking, I know!

1. Terrific Infrastructure - I-15 (I only know the SLC to Utah County portion) is great. 4-5 lanes with a commuter lane for a metropolitan population of about 1 million. Bridges/overpasses/underpasses are relatively new for the most part and in good shape. If you don't think so, check back East sometime and compare.

2. Traffic is a breeze despite residents' complaints...they've never seen real traffic (I've suffered through D.C., N.Y.C., Dallas, S.F. and L.A. traffic). Commute to SLC and Provo is easy with rare traffic stoppages.

3. Natural beauty - And I haven't had time to visit down south yet. The vistas from the mountains are amazing. We are still shocked everytime we drive to the canyons that they are so close to where we live.

4. Outdoor activities - Not just the winter stuff, which is world-class, but summer stuff too like hiking the canyons, mountain biking, boating, etc. And it is all close to where most people live.

5. I do like Sundays here as a non-LDS guy...it's like the SNL sketch "Christmastime for the Jews". I love that Costco belongs to me on Sundays.

6. Movie theaters - I haven't been to any theaters anywhere else (I'm not claiming they don't exist...I'm just not aware of their existence) that have reserved seating...what a great idea! That is what I would miss most about Utah!

7. No matter what reason you attribute it to, it is alot safer here than most other places.

8. At least you don't have to worry as much about drunken drivers here.

9. DMV here is not as painful as in most other states I've experienced.

10. I will put the weather on my list. The heat here is not that bad, especially since there is no humidity. Try going through the dog days in D.C. or Texas with 100 deg heat and 90% humidity. I'll take this anyday. And depressing? I don't know about that. The winter was definitely hard...we're stuck up on the "Point of the Mountain" and had snow drifts 8 feet high. But there were some days with sun in the winter. My days in New England were really bleak...days were short and there was precious little sun from November to April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah