Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
All you need to do to hear swearing is to attend the Utah-BYU game next month.
Now that I will agree upon....for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
All you need to do to hear swearing is to attend the Utah-BYU game next month.
No Doubt!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msfoom View Post
Hello all - I have a few questions about the LDS lifestyle. I don't know anything about it really but since we are considering moving there, I guess I should start! First, I have to say thanks to all the folks answering questions about people moving there. I read some posts that say I will be shunned and/or ignored and others that say it's never been an issue. I hope that my experience is the latter. Anyway .... what are the things Mormon can't do that others might? i.e. I know they don't drink alcohol or caffine. Can they curse? That sounds so dumb of me to ask but my fear is that we'll move in and I'll stub my toe and a string of words that have never been uttered in a 20 mile radius, will come out of my mouth! I mean, wether you're catholic, baptist, jewish or whatever - we all have our weaknesses, right? Just the things I hear make Mormons sound perfect - almost stepford wife-ish. Please educate me people! Thanks!
Hi. You asked what Mormons can't do that others can.... not a thing. A Christian lifestyle is just that, Christian. And just because a Christian backslides doesn't make them any less of a Christian, right?

We do drink alcohol and caffine, that's the thing. Supposed to - maybe not. But I am a Mt. Dew drinker and don't consider myself any less a 'Mormon' as you put it. And alcohol isn't good for anyone.
Curse? Goodness, no Christian should curse so I hope that answer is "no".

Hope this helps and it looks like you've gotten many responses already. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 AM

222 posts, read 877,524 times
I shouldn't curse but I sometimes do. I don't drink caffeine, but that is because I prefer rootbeer (my husband loves Mt. Dew). I don't have tattoo's (or breast implants) but that is a personal preferrance. I don't smoke or drink alcohol but I am sure that some LDS do.

Each individual makes their own choices and hopefully no one should judge another person for theirs. We just moved out of Syracuse (UT) and one of my best friends was a neighbor that probably swore more than anyone else I have known and smoked. I miss her. We just connected and she is someone that I will always stay in touch with, not because I want to convert her to my religion, but because she is a good person.

If you move here, I think people will let you know what their boundries are. We didn't really let our kids play on Sunday because we go to church and wanted them to treat it differently than just another play day. Someone else might not care. Hope this helps a little.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
the church does council against unnecessary plastic surgery, tattoos, and stuff like that. but if you decide you're going to get it done anyway, they're not going to punish you for it. you might have to deal with gossipy neighbors or something, but other than that, it's between you and God. my brother has tattoos, and so do a number of the people in my ward, and they are all hard-working, responsible people that are actively involved in the group. as far as breast augments, i dunno; i haven't made a point of asking or probing around....

honestly, it almost always come down to the decision being between you and the Lord. very few of them actually have an effect that the church deems sufficient that they need to step in, sometimes for the safety of those around you. again though, that doesn't mean that there won't be the occasional stupid, judgmental neighbors. but people like that don't really matter in the long run anyway.

aaron out.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
I'm a Mormon, 21 years old. I do not swear, drink coffee/tea, I believe in chastity, I do not smoke, I DO tolerate other with non-Mormon lifestyles, Mormons are NOT hateful or going to call you name because you aren't one of them, We're all about sharing our message though, and I can almost promise that if you read The Book of Mormon, then you'll understand why all your neighbors are Mormon. Do not worry about becoming Stepford-ish, it's about becoming like God, living as Jesus' disciples. If you slip up, acknowledge your mistakes, repent, and do better in the future. We all may be humans, but we all have the choice to swear, or the choice to bite our tongue and say "Uggghhh, that hurt so bad!!!" It still gets the point across without having to use gutter vocabulary.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
as far as breast augments, i dunno; i haven't made a point of asking or probing around....
Probing ... ? Whoaaaa .... !@#$%^ Oops ..... Now there is a guy with humour !

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Sincce a newer and more complete thread now exists, the "Low Down" on Mormons, this one is closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: