Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 89,758 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know, Utah is a very red state, but it's time to put that aside.

President-elect Obama wants your help. He's set up a web site, Change.gov where you can give him a piece of your mind, and share your vision for our great country.

Sure, you can sit around and gripe about things, or you can voice your opinion to a team that promises to listen. More things get done from the grass roots up than from trickle down.

It's time to take ownership for our plight, and push our government to listen to the rural folks, no matter our political persuasions.

I've been to his site a couple times to let him know how I feel about things like the bailouts, the energy issues, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Let's make this a litttle more interactive...

When I laid out my concerns, it dealt with how I felt about the big bailouts. I feel that any "bailout" should go to those of us who, even though we used credit responsibly have been raped by high CC interest, changing terms, hidden fees, etc. I also feel those of us who purchased "gas guzzling" trucks and SUV's (because we need them) should get a bit of help by at least helping us pay down loans to get the value of the vehicle and loan amount equal.

When it came to vision, I laid out an idea for wind energy spearheaded by our local electric co-op.

Now, it's your turn... what have you told him?

Maybe if we could all get on the same page, he'd get the message about how much rural folks really are hurting, yet looking for ways to make the situation more bearable.

Post what you told him here... I dare ya!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
I think this is a great idea, but I have to take issue with your idea about SUVs, which by the way has zero chance of happening. The very large majority of people who have them didn't "need" them - just check out the south where it never snows and you'll see just as many. And how would you determine who actually needs one? No one is going to reward people for buying gas guzzling cars. If anything, people who go hybrid or electric are much more likely to get some kind of help or incentive. And this is coming from someone who is looking to buy an SUV - although I'll try to get one that doesn't use an obscene amount of gas.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi cinnabon,

Disagreeing is what makes this world go 'round. I would hope that we could all find a way to flesh things out in regards to how to help folks who are "upside down" in PRIMARY vehicles (not those who bought an SUV for a toy), as well as help out the auto industry.

Sure, they've made mistakes, but some of what's happening wasn't their doing. It's been reported that overall sales (including imports) is down from an average of 16 M vehicles to just over 10 M for 2008. Makes it hard to survive when you lose over one-third of your sales.

As for things having zero chance of happening, I believe if enough people let the team know their needs, things will change.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i think many things are already in the making. europe is jubilant. there is hope.
however we are seeing an element in our country that is angry all the time. the anger seems without color. that is the obstacle, to include them. anger is caused by lots and lots of failure, could be caused by our own failure or the failure at our attempts at family. when they stop seeing their lives as an endless failure we will be united in purpose.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:14 PM

Ah, but the real question from me is how do you channel that anger?

Have you been out to change.gov and put your two cents in? Sometimes change is initiated faster when anger become passion.

The only failure that will never change is when you fail to change what you're doing.

You the definition of insanity... doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:41 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,378 times
I'm sure things will get better sooner than later. But I think we have to get past not only the anger but the fear instilled, purposely I think, over the past seven years. I'm in southern rural Utah and it is extremely difficult to have any type of conversation about the direction of the country with alot of the folks. Because all they worry about is their guns being taken away. Or how the environmentalists will outlaw hunting and the hippie's from California will take over. I've gave up a long time ago because we have to live among them.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Aeroick,

I clearly understand your feelings. I live about 5 miles west of you, and our neighbors around here are kind of in "shell shock". We don't discuss politics at all with them.

However, we've all found common ground in the area of "helping each other survive" regardless of our political leanings. I can pretty much guarantee you that if anyone wanted any of our guns, they'd be prying them from our cold, dead fingers. Same thing goes for our water!

The reality for many of the things being offered this time is the opportunity to bring down the veils of secrecy in "deal making" that has plagued our government for most of it's history.

Just today, I got a notice from the transition team that all of us, rural and urban, right and left, rich and poor, have a "seat at the table" for every meeting that takes place. This is being accomplished by posting all the minutes and documentation offered at each meeting by the various groups who are meeting with the transition team. Obviously, personnel issues (hiring), and national security is excepted as classified information.

We're being encouraged to comment on proposed policies and recommendations just as if we had attended the meetings. That's never been done before and I applaud the new team for their efforts.

I'll stand up and cheer when folks who are totally angry (for the sake of being angry) get off their duffs and go comment, too. Tell them your angry. Tell them you don't trust them, and why... Tell them what they need to do to earn your trust. They really do want to hear from you.

In case y'all have forgotten the link, it's Change.gov. It's time to make a difference, and being part of the process is better than being part of the "dis-enfranchised".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah