U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM

421 posts, read 1,155,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
What kind of Scandinavian are you anyway lol?
Not one at all? Well, I do have an errant Dutch line somewhere. Maybe that's why they let me stay here.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:02 AM

29 posts, read 118,662 times
Thanks everyone! I am gonna book my tickets and go check it out!!! Salt lake here I come!
heidinbend

Old 03-22-2007, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,528 times
Default Don't Move to Utah if you are not a Mormon

Utah is run by the Mormons. Period. Somehow, some way, the Mormons have been allowed to completely entangle church and state matters. If you can't live with that, then don't come.

I like most Mormons as individuals, but I loathe them as a group. Many will not even allow their children to play with non-mormons--GASP!!! They are just plain weird. Incidentally, Utah mormons are very different from Mormons in other states. They behave this way because there is "safety in numbers" in Utah. I have not experienced the strange behavior with non-Utah mormons.
Utah Mormons behave this way because they can. Mormons living outside of their blessed "Zion" do not behave this way.

Please learn all you can about Mormonism before moving to Utah. It is a very odd religion with cultish customs and mores. They pride themselves on being "different" and "better" than everyone else.

I happen to like living in Utah. I get along fine with the Mormons because I am smarter than most of them. I can see through the brainwashing and the lemming behavior. I actually feel sorry for many of them. They can't help the way they are---they are literally brainwashed from a very early age.

Just be their friend, assure them that they will go to heaven whether they tithe or not, and just smile when your child is not "good enough" to play with theirs. It will all work out in the end.

Cheers!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM

421 posts, read 1,155,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why me View Post
Utah is run by the Mormons. Period. Somehow, some way, the Mormons have been allowed to completely entangle church and state matters. If you can't live with that, then don't come.

I like most Mormons as individuals, but I loathe them as a group. Many will not even allow their children to play with non-mormons--GASP!!! They are just plain weird. Incidentally, Utah mormons are very different from Mormons in other states. They behave this way because there is "safety in numbers" in Utah. I have not experienced the strange behavior with non-Utah mormons.
Utah Mormons behave this way because they can. Mormons living outside of their blessed "Zion" do not behave this way.

Please learn all you can about Mormonism before moving to Utah. It is a very odd religion with cultish customs and mores. They pride themselves on being "different" and "better" than everyone else.

I happen to like living in Utah. I get along fine with the Mormons because I am smarter than most of them. I can see through the brainwashing and the lemming behavior. I actually feel sorry for many of them. They can't help the way they are---they are literally brainwashed from a very early age.

Just be their friend, assure them that they will go to heaven whether they tithe or not, and just smile when your child is not "good enough" to play with theirs. It will all work out in the end.

Cheers!

Whatev. Life's too short, ya know?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,401,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why me View Post
I get along fine with the Mormons because I am smarter than most of them. I can see through the brainwashing and the lemming behavior. I actually feel sorry for many of them. They can't help the way they are---they are literally brainwashed from a very early age.
My goodness! You are obviously an intellectual giant. I have just a couple of questions, big fellow, and then I will let you go back to resting that incredibly large cranium of yours. With your theory of early age “brainwashing” of Mormons in mind, how do you explain those who convert to the Church as adults? How do you explain the incredible number of MDs, PhDs, JDs, and thousands of other graduate and post graduates that populate the Church? I prefer the Socratic Method of truth finding, so if you could keep that in mind while answering, I would be ever so grateful.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:57 PM

26,647 posts, read 21,816,830 times
I live in Georgia and most of the Mormons I have met in Georgia will go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. As a non-Mormon living in Georgia I should know.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 57,897 times
Default Looking at moving to Utah as well

I have appreciated the comments on the board, as I am considering a move to Utah as well; specifically, my wife and I are considering going to Orem, Utah for a job. We currently live in St. Cloud, MN.

I was taking a look at apartments on-line, and it seemed the majority of apartments were geared towards BYU students. As a recent college grad, I have no problems with college-aged people, but was wondering if people had recommendations for other apartments. I have looked at the newspaper in Provo and found some, but there were no pictures, and I sort of like to see what the apartment looks like

Also, what is the average price for a two bedroom apartment or two bedroom house (renting wise)?

Thanks so much !

Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 46,330 times
lol we have probally the lowest racism i have ever seen and i harderly hear about hate crime...utah is friendy lol your mom is funny...lol guess what i heared about utah ect

Old 05-10-2007, 07:03 PM

129 posts, read 345,224 times
Why? Maybe because there's a troll on board?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 PM

15 posts, read 93,920 times
You are very aware of the different kinds of racism since you felt the need to specify that you are not very dark and have a white last name. You know that in a racist environment dark skin and names/attributes which are black are less accepted. I think you are hoping Utah is not too racist for who you are. Utah has a black population of 1%. It is a racist state but the very few black people who live in Utah deal with the racism as trade off for low cost of living, low crime, and nature. Salt Lake City being gay-friendly does not cancel out the city/state's racism against blacks and other brown minorities. A lot of the white gays in Salt Lake are racist. Sure, you'll find it tolerable, maybe, enjoyable living here, especially since, as you say, you are not that dark and have a white last name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah