U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:27 AM

95 posts, read 289,315 times
Default Mexicans are not from Costa Rica, Guatamala....

Please check the world map. The countries you mentioned are from Central America. Mexico is located in the "Gulf" of Mexico. Although, we speak spanish we are different. Just to be safe you can say Hispanics or Latinos if your not sure or Central Americans for these countries. Those of us that are mexican but born in the United States, we are called Mexican American. We are all beautiful people in GODS eyes. Does it really matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
The "Mexicans" I've met here so far are from Costa Rica, Guatamala, Panama, Honduras, and El Salvador---although I think there may have been a couple of guys in the mix who were actually from Mexico!

Last edited by The Casselli's; 09-16-2007 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 09-16-2007, 08:11 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
Just to be safe you can say Hispanics or Latinos if your not sure.
One wonders why it is necessary to "be safe" when the original posters meaning was obvious although perhaps not geographically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
Those of us that are [M]exican but born in the United States are called Mexican American.
One also wonders why this is necessary. I am Irish and born in this country; yet, I am called an American.

When we insist on the above two examples, we create our own ethnic divisions instead of promoting assimilation.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 AM

242 posts, read 707,036 times
Someday When There Are Found To Be People On Other Planets We Will All Be Considered Earthlings.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:27 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,340,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
One wonders why it is necessary to "be safe" when the original posters meaning was obvious although perhaps not geographically correct.

One also wonders why this is necessary. I am Irish and born in this country; yet, I am called an American.

When we insist on the above two examples, we create our own ethnic divisions instead of promoting assimilation.
I could NOT agree more SergeantL.... I am Scots-Irish-English-French-German-Spanish-Itialian-Norwegian-American. Hyphenated names serve no purpose other then to further divide a nation. I AM AN AMERICAN. First Last and ALWAYS.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM

230 posts, read 377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I have been a Mormon all my life. I can with certainty say that's not a doctrine I have ever heard. Since the theological aspects are more appropriate for the religion forum, I would invite you to add your views under the following post if you would like to continue this discussion.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mons-race.html
I'm surprised you've been LDS all your life and never heard of it. Being AA and LDS I sure have. It's why so many AA LDS leave the church after being baptized. I heard it long before I joined though. McKonkie said (after 1978) to discount whatever he said in past years concerning that. I did. Still, I believe what the blogger said about people privately being racist. I don't like it, but I know it happens. I still believe the gospel is true and the people are not perfect that's why they go to church for 3 hours every Sunday and are even expected to attend church during the week for other activities and serve missions. They, we don't do it because we're perfect. It's done because we know we need to work on ourselves.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM

230 posts, read 377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I could NOT agree more SergeantL.... I am Scots-Irish-English-French-German-Spanish-Itialian-Norwegian-American. Hyphenated names serve no purpose other then to further divide a nation. I AM AN AMERICAN. First Last and ALWAYS.
I'm African-American and don't like to describe myself that way. So, I say I'm black to describe myself to someone who has never seen me and they ask me to describe myself. But then people want me to explain why I refer to myself as being black. Yes, I am American, but in describing who I am or what I look like I have to say something. I mean, isn't it easy for you to describe yourself because regardless of your bloodline, you look white, right? So, if you had never met me, and we were going out on a blind date or we were going to pick me up at the airport how would you expect me to describe myself? Brown? Black? or what? I mean if I said I'm tall or I'll be wearing a red shirt you'd probably confuse me with too many people. Isn't just easier for me to say African American?

Last edited by annibelle; 10-22-2007 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 PM

136 posts, read 243,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggit View Post
Let me start this out by saying what kind of a person I am. I poke fun at everything, including things that shouldn't be laughed at. I find humor in everything. So racist jokes are funny to me. All jokes are. I go for the shock value, and tend to say things that will produce the most extreme reaction in my friends and family. Of course, I do hold back when necessary. I'm not totally out of control or anything.

That said, I am astounded at the amount of racism and superiority the whites here feel toward hispanics. Of course it's taboo to be racist about blacks, but it seems like they don't even consider it racism when it's directed at Mexicans.

I haven't seen any kind of face-to-face racism, but there is an excessive amount of behind-the-back mocking. Mexicans are the prime target. It disgusts me. These people are no better or worse than white people, and yet because they are of a lower working class, and a lot of times don't have the amount of education the rest of the state does, they are thought of as something less than human.

I love SLC, and the diversity it holds. But the degree of racism toward hispanics is offensive even to ME. And it comes equally from Mormons and non-Mormons, in case you were wondering. It seems the trend here is to think less of hispanics and at the same time pretend to be concerned with equal rights.

Am I missing something??
Sorry, I'm new to this whole board and I'm just being a 'tourist', although I'm located in Southern California.

But I totally agree with the above post. Blacks seems to occupy a 'special protection' status in the minds of many white Americans who think it's Original Sin to be racist to them. And yet other minorities who don't enjoy institutionalized support are abused and ridiculed at will. Even if the racism isn't blatant and open there's an ugly and hypocritical undercurrent of prejudice all across the nation, and not just in Utah.

Hispanics, especially Mexicans seem to be open targets due to their immigrant and sometimes illegal status. Their lower education levels also seem to play a part. Asians are ridiculed because many of them tend to keep to themselves and aren't loud and aggressive (people see it as an open invitation to pick on them more like schoolyard bullies). An additional and interesting layer of racism is manifested by more than just a few white men - they especially seem to take perverse pride in ribbing Asian men. To question and ridicule a black man's dignity and manhood would be tantamount to a Capital Crime; but Asian men are the targets of mockery that has become pretty much institutionalized. What makes that even more perverse and disgusting is that a lot of white men are lost in their racist, sexualized fantasies about Asian women! They love to objectify and screw the women, and keep the men under their thumbs. It's basically a more user-friendly, institutionalized form of silent genocide, dare I say it.

So I agree with the above poster - many white Americans are in denial, and many seem to think that just throwing a symbolic bone to the black man will cut it. Not so - prejudice, ignorance, and bigotry in America is alive and well. Not just in Utah.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,340,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
I'm African-American and don't like to describe myself that way. So, I say I'm black to describe myself to someone who has never seen me and they ask me to describe myself. But then people want me to explain why I refer to myself as being black. Yes, I am American, but in describing who I am or what I look like I have to say something. I mean, isn't it easy for you to describe yourself because regardless of your bloodline, you look white, right? So, if you had never met me, and we were going out on a blind date or we were going to pick me up at the airport how would you expect me to describe myself? Brown? Black? or what? I mean if I said I'm tall or I'll be wearing a red shirt you'd probably confuse me with too many people. Isn't just easier for me to say African American?
I understand totally using the physical description altho my problem with the hyphenated names is more that it continues to widen the equality gap....[besides why should you get it so easy....I have to now describe myself as white-old-tall-bald-with glasses]

Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 4,959 times
i live in utah, am hispanic and i am married to an asian who happens to be mormon ... but i am not. i would say the people of utah are very tollerant of other cultures and religions.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,690 times
First, I've lived on the west coast, midwest, south, east coast and western US. I taught high school in SLC for 18 years.

Utah is less racist than any of those places. Yes if you walk up to a practicing mormon and lace your conversation with swear words and foul language along with smoker's breath they will back off. But they make great neighbors and watch out for you.

Most native Utah residents are polite, helpful and friendly. There are some jerks. If you are a friendly person you will find most people here will treat you right.

PS. My family includes native americans, hispanics, blacks, asians and a variety of european ethnic groups and we have a blast at family reunions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah