Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,953 times

Advertisements

I currently live in michigan and am looking into moving to a different state with mild (shorter) winters and longer summers but not too hot (over 90 degrees is too hot). It seems that the St. George area keeps coming up in my research. I have a few questions though: What is the weather like in the area? What is a nice city to live in around the area that has very little crime and a good family atmosphere? What does the average home sell for? I am going to be graduating with an engineering degree from University of Michigan, would there be opportunity in that area for a job? Any other information, would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has other areas they could recommend. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
St. George would be off your list for the too hot summers. It routinely reaches over 100+ degrees over the summer. With an engineering degree, you would be better off in the Greater Salt Lake area, although it too has hot summers, albeit not as hot as St. George.

I don't know that *I* would call Utah winters mild, but I am not a winter lover myself. I used to live in the UP of MI and those winters were very harsh. So, compared to MI winters, you might be able to consider UT winters mild.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM

396 posts, read 1,275,990 times
I wouldn't say that Utah necessarily has a shorter winter than Michigan. Although it doesn't get as cold. As far as snow goes, what you're used to depends on what part of Michigan you came from since there's a huge variation of snowfall across Michigan. If you come from any area that gets hit by the lake bands, then the snowfall shouldn't be a problem, although if you come from say Detroit, I'm pretty sure that Salt Lake City gets more snow than they do.

It rarely snows in St. George but summers routinely get above 100 degrees, sometimes even 110. Salt Lake City is usually in the 90s in summer, sometimes above 100. However, it's not nearly as humid as it is back east.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM

273 posts, read 1,247,123 times
I agree with Bob about the Salt Lake City summers. The dry 90+ temps are quite bearable, not like the heat back east. The winters probably aren't on the scale of MI winters but I think they are still long and cold.

The best areas in the country for mild temps (not too hot or cold) are probably on the west coast where the cool Pacific seems to hold the temps between 40 - 90 most times. I think any other area you are going to be subject to extremes at some time or other.

Now the bad news. Had you posted this a year ago I would have definitely recommended the Salt Lake area for your engineering degree. There is a lot of manufacturing and high tech here and the area was booming. But Utah is no longer immune to the recession and jobs are getting scarce here as they are everywhere.

Just my opinion, but I don't think now is the time you can afford to be choosy about geography in picking a job. If you get an offer anywhere, you should probably consider it. And count yourself as lucky.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Thank you all for your help. From what I've heard 100 degrees there is easier to deal with than say 90 degrees here. Is there a certain city anyone would recommend for family atmosphere. Small city but at least 30 miles distance to a large city. Also, how is the crime rate?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM

21 posts, read 65,866 times
Julie you are correct. I lived on the east coast most of my life. When I came out west for first time I was afraid of the 100+ temp. Then I got outside to wait for the cab and laughed! 100? This feels like 75 in Florida! 100 is nothing for someone used to the humid east!

As for city consider some of the small towns near SLC too. Are you LDS? If you are, you will enjoy most towns near SLC, but if you are non-LDS there are some that may be a better match than others. It all depends on how conservative you are and the type of town/lifestyle you are looking for (do you want an active nightlife, etc etc).

But what is worth, SLC feels like a small city in regards to how nice everyone is, how clean it is, and how safe it feels for a metro area.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 PM

I agree..the lack of humidity here makes the hottest of temps more bearable. Make no mistake...100 is hot, but it isn't a bearing down on you, can't breathe, suffocating heat like back east. I don't miss my NJ temps at all. NOT.ONE.BIT.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Ok this may be a stupid question, but is LDS latter day saint? If so , no i'm not. I'm not extremely conservative and like the nightlife occasionally, but also have a family to keep in mind and would like them safe and in good schools. Is it a big deal if i'm not LDS living in Utah? SLC was an obtion, but i'd really like the south west area of utah also. Is there any nice cities out there?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 PM

There is no stupid question. Yes, LDS is Latter Day Saints. It isn't a big deal if you are not and live in Utah. Many of us are not and do...

St. George is a nice city. Cedar City is pretty nice. St. George is closer to a night life, although you won't find much nightlife there itself I don't believe. Vegas is just a short drive away, however.

I love the red rock of SW Utah also. Just keep in mind that the temps do get very hot in the summer.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question Have You Thought About Cedar City?

Cedar City is becoming more popular. Unlike St. George, just one hour away, Cedar is much cooler as it is in the mountains. A ski resort is not far away.

You may want to check out Cedar City in a general search and get in touch with their chamber of Commerce or their organization to recruit and attract businesses. I don't know what new businesses and/or jobs are available in Cedar.

Good luck.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah