U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM

106 posts, read 250,455 times
Default Best Utah Ski Resort for Intermediate?

What is everyone's favorite Utah ski resort? And what would you recommend for me (see relevant experience below)? I may come out to try Utah snow soon.

A little background on my experience, for reference: I've been skiing for the last seven years, about 15-20 times per year. Been to about 10 different Colorado ski resorts and one in New Mexico (my favorites are Crested Butte, Vail and Breckenridge). I'm an "intermediate" skier (like most people, I guess) ... no problems on blues and some blacks; nothing extreme, like cliffs, double-blacks, etc. I enjoy groomers, but I also like bowls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM

So I guess no one on here skis. It was worth a try.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM

494 posts, read 1,165,957 times
I would suggest Alta or Brighton, but you'll be fine at any major ski resort.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,969,618 times
Snowbasin has great blue cruisers, if that is your thing. Solitude is also a great resort.

Both of these I would highly recommend if you prefer a more intermediate mountain. There is TONS at both of these resorts to explore.

Alta is always a great place, but they you do have to traverse alot to get around. Alta would certainly be worth a visit, but I think Solitude is more fun.

I personally don't really like any of the Park City are resorts, but that is mostly a personal preference.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 PM

515 posts, read 1,413,019 times
I'll add another vote for Solitude - lots of great blue/blue-black cruisers & small enough that it's easy to figure out the lay of the land. I would also recommend the Canyons in Park City - you can't beat it for variety - it's the largest resort. I'd probably avoid Alta / Snowbird based on what you are looking for - they are a little more hard core & a little less user friendly if you don't know your way around.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks a ton for the great advice everyone!

Based on the posts here, I'm leaning toward Solitude (which I hadn't even considered) one day and Snowbasin the next (I wanted to do one resort east of SLC and one east of Ogden, so this fits perfectly). Regardless of where I end up going, I'll let you know how it went after I get back next week.

Again, I really appreciate the input. Very helpful.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM

I think you will like Solitude - they have some great blue cruisers off the Eagle Express lift. If you are feeling adventurous, there is a great blue/black called Woodlawn that is through the gates off the top of the Summit lift that is quite fun, and not terrible hard or intimidating in terms of skiing past the gates.

I skied Snowbasin this weekend with some family members visiting, and everyone had a great time. They even have a number of non-intimidating blacks off the mail slope (sweet revenge) under the mid bowl chair lift that are not intimidating at all.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:52 PM

595 posts, read 1,872,348 times
I hope their is enough snow for you when you're out there, Lupulin! I've been watching the weather for a while now cuz I'll be out there pretty soon and it's all the way in the 40's! I hope there is a good base, since it hasn't snowed in a while, either.

Take a look at the Ski Utah site if you haven't already: www.skiutah.com

Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM

^^ The base is fine and solid at all the resorts. I was up at Snowbasin on Monday, and while the snow was a bit hard in the morning, the warmer air softened the snow up nicely by the afternoon.

We are getting around a foot or so predicted for the mountains over the weeknd so that should help out a lot.

I would not be concerned - the snow may not be the best, but there is still plenty of coverage.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM

10 posts, read 28,977 times
Default Favorite Ski resort?

One nice thing about Snowbasin is it's location. Very close to SLC and / or Ogden. If staying in Ogden I would recommend a day at Snowbasin then a day at Powder Mountain.. also in Ogden Valley. Both have excellent skiing and Powder Mountain has a bit fewer people, kind of a hidden gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah