Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM

23 posts, read 98,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsngr View Post
Are you LDS? if not, think about this move seriously, especially with children.
I wish we would not have moved to Cedar City, Utah. We are Catholic and our kids are shunned by the neighborhood kids....because we are not Temple Mormons/LDS. I do have one friend who is Temple Mormon and she tells me that happens all the time. She says that she doesn't agree with it...but she knows that many LDS are that way. Another gal who is LDS, but she married a non-LDS and she says that her little boy is shunned in her neighborhood, too.

I was told this would happen to my kids by sooooo many people; I did not believe it would. Two years of living here and I wish I would have listened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 AM

27 posts, read 105,959 times
We live a little south of Layton in Centerville. We've taken lessons at Dance Impressions (jazz and ballet) and my daughter asked to never take there again. Her words, not mine, were "snooty" and the "teachers weren't very nice". Maybe just an unusal bad experience, but I thought I'd throw it out there. She's now at a studio in Centerville where I believe the technique is just as good and it's a friendlier more nurturing environment. That would still be quite a drive from Layton though. Davis county freeway traffice is horrible!
As for tumbling--drive to Kaysville (very close to Layton) to Clay's Tumbling. They only do tumbling, no bars/beams, etc and you can just do classes or there are competition teams too. We were there for several years until my daughter chose dance exclusively. Several neighbors still take their children there.
As for schools, we chose Davis county because it's really hard to find a bad school. I think you can feel confident in just about any elementary school in the area. They can be pretty crowded but parental involvement is unusually high so there are lots of volunteers and lots of extra programs (we have chess club, an annual musical, art programs, spanish club, early morning choir, etc.)
good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 PM

222 posts, read 877,524 times
We just moved to Syracuse (west of Layton) in July and have really liked it. There are a ton of bigger stores in Layton. We have a small town feel but also a lot of conveniences close without feeling like they are so close (library/fire station/community center/charter school/elementary/middle school/Dr. Office and Walmart less than 1 mile away) . We have not gotten in to dance but both of my neighbors have done dance and gymnastics (I will have to ask them where). It has snowed a lot this year and everytime our neighbors were out helping each other. My daughter is in third grade and participates in a morning choir and reading breakfast club. Before we moved we looked at the schools and they all seemed really good. My sister lives in Layton and her kids go to Sand Springs and they have been really impressed. A couple of people in my neighborhood have kids that go to Layton Christian Academy (private school). Good luck with your move. I know how big of a decision and how nerve racking it can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: