U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 AM

70 posts, read 133,751 times
kaytidid,
You stated "Uh yeah, that might have a little bearing on it...just like when my daughters wear their cross earrings to school....not quite as obvious as a 4 ft statue, however....Not to criticize or come across as you not having the right to do so, but do you think that maybe the statue and the cross might be just a little "in your face" for Utah County..? Of course, it is your home and you have the right to display what you want, but I am just thinking that maybe that is where some of the problem might lie..? Just thinking aloud here..please don't get jumpy...."

I think that for you to come to that conclusion you must realize that there is some religious discrimination going on here. Just because I have visible signs of my religious beliefs does not mean that I should be treated this way. Anyways, I just wanted to share that with you (about the statue) because I thought that might help clear up some of the ambiguity on this post about there being no way all my neighbors could know that I am not-lds and maybe it will help you understand a little better when I say that on Sunday afternoons when everyone is driving home from church, nobody (and I mean nobody) waves back at me or my husband or our kids, the women look the other way and the men stare straight ahead as if we don't exist...they know for a fact that we are Catholic, but that should be ok shouldn't it?

No I'm not getting jumpy I just wish I would have thought to mention that a couple of days ago so that you all had a little better understanding of my position, it really didn't even occur to me until my 15yr old read some of these posts and pointed out to me that "of course everyone around here knows were Catholic, we have a sign in our front yard", he was just playing around, but then it hit me that he was right. I am so used to it being there, it has been in many yards through the years, that I don't think of it as being out of place or unusual, it just is a part of our lives. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Cycle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,484,079 times
Yes, it should be okay. I can't speak for others..I don't know WHY they wouldn't wave. Maybe the statue makes them uncomfortable? I am thinking along the lines of say..public displays of affection. It is certainly within ones rights to demonstrate PDA's...however, I don't like seeing it. I am not talking holding hands, or a little kiss...I am talking get a room PDA's...so, should I come across it happening, I am inclined to look away. Embarrassment? Being uncomfortable? Whatever the reason, I do. Maybe it is along the same lines. Even though PDA's are "okay", they aren't to me. Maybe it has nothing to do with you being Catholic, or them being LDS, maybe seeing a church icon in the front yard makes them uncomfortable. I don't know enough about the LDS religion to know if that would be an issue. I have been in several ward buildings over the years and I don't recall seeing much, if any, religious type items there. At least not like we Catholics have. I do admit, it has been a while since I have been in one and my memory is a little foggy on the details. Maybe displaying religious items, such as things like your statue, is just something that isn't done in the LDS culture. I am sure someone would be happy to enlighten us, however.

I am not saying there is or isn't any religious discrimination. I don't live, or have ever lived in Utah County. All I am saying is that there are some places in Utah that are more diverse and more accepting of diversity than others. In another area, your statue might never even be given a second thought.

It is good to be proud of who you are, but sometimes slight assimilation to one's environment can't hurt either...KWIM?

Last edited by kaytidid; 02-08-2009 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,383,750 times
I have pretty much read this whole thread through but haven't said but I suppose I'll add my HO for what it's worth.
I think kaytidid has a good point there. I think the statue might make people uncomfortable....I myself don't like things like that. On the other hand I wouldn't go so far as to ignore someone because of it or not wave or be friendly to them (just like someone having many tattoos or smoking or working in their yard with no shirt on {lol sorry aaron just had to throw that one in})
Cycle, I'm sorry you have had that experience. I am lds but not Utah lds and I have noticed that SOME lds here can be very cliquish and even rude to outsiders so I don't doubt your situation, especially if it is a smaller town. I have also noticed that SOME lds here can be quite closed off to others which can be taken as being rude but is really just "into their own lives" if that makes sense. I think on this thread in cases emotions have run a bit high and maybe some wrong assumptions have been made on both sides. Having had much of my correspondence with my husband (then fiancee) online I definately know how read words can be totally taken the wrong way. I think if we all met eachother and sat down for a nice soda or beer (whichever the case ) we could possibly be friends.

Last edited by dreameyes; 02-08-2009 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: finally thought of something remotely humorous to say

Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I think if we all met eachother and sat down for a nice soda or beer (whichever the case ) we could possibly be friends.
I think so too!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 AM

dreameyes,
You are probably right, I also feel the same way about my neighbors, I wish they would give me and my family a chance. Thanks for your comments.
Cycle

Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,383,750 times
Thanks Cycle. I hope when your lease is up you can find a place where you're happier. Even with its faults Utah really is a great place to live!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,329 times
I am currently living in Prescott, AZ but am looking to relocate.
I am new to this website, but have been reading it voraciously for the past several days. My short list included Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Oregon. After reading this thread, and many others I am crossing Utah off my list. It is not due to the original poster directly , but has more to do with the responses of those that define themselves as LDS.
It seems clear to me that there is an "intolerance" for people that are non-LDS that is fairly common in many parts of Utah (and even those that don't participate in it, seem compelled to defend it, at least to some degree). I am sure Utah is full of great people, I am just as sure the whole LDS thing is a potential ugly problem I just don't want to deal with and there are beautiful states where it is not an issue. Thanks for people being themselves on this and other threads. I has helped me to understand and prioritize something important that I honestly had not thought about. I want to move someplace where my religion (or lack of same) is not a factor in whether I am liked or accepted.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 PM

And that is ok! Utah is not for everyone, and everyone cannot be happy in one particular place. Better for you to decide that now rather than later.

Good luck wherever you decide to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrescottAZ View Post
I am currently living in Prescott, AZ but am looking to relocate.
I am new to this website, but have been reading it voraciously for the past several days. My short list included Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Oregon. After reading this thread, and many others I am crossing Utah off my list. It is not due to the original poster directly , but has more to do with the responses of those that define themselves as LDS.
It seems clear to me that there is an "intolerance" for people that are non-LDS that is fairly common in many parts of Utah (and even those that don't participate in it, seem compelled to defend it, at least to some degree). I am sure Utah is full of great people, I am just as sure the whole LDS thing is a potential ugly problem I just don't want to deal with and there are beautiful states where it is not an issue. Thanks for people being themselves on this and other threads. I has helped me to understand and prioritize something important that I honestly had not thought about. I want to move someplace where my religion (or lack of same) is not a factor in whether I am liked or accepted.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 PM

PrescottAZ
I do wish you would reconsider, this thread is not what most of Utah is about, I have met some really wonderful people here, just not in my neighborhood. I am not miserable, I do not dislike Utah or Mormons in general and if you get into a neighborhood that has some diversity, it is just like heaven on earth. The mountains are amazing, we have been ghost town hunting, rock collecting, up into the beautiful waterfalls, sledding, snowboarding, fly fishing, there is so much to see and do here it is just amazing. I only wish that when we were home we felt welcomed just because we are neighbors...I know of many people who have not had the same experiences my family has had, but this is where the caution comes in, there are some issues about religion. If only the general population of Utah would come to accept that this type of behavior exists and that it is going on, maybe we could address it, bring it out into the open, feel free to discuss it and then slowly change a culture and make it to where everyone feels welcome.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Good luck wherever you plant your feet.
Cycle

Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Cycle
Ideally that would be wonderful! If we could just fix a problem by just bringing out in the open, the world would be a much better place. However, if you live in an area that has some snotty people (I really detest snots...), that is, unfortunately, their personalities. Nothing you say or do is probably going to change the way they are. It is too bad that it is like that, because both sides could be missing out on some great friendships.
Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah