Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 55,401 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting Utah in mid February to ski and volunteer at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. I have been looking through the forums, and like most social chat areas it is full of different opinions, that's for sure!

Some background on us as we are seriously considering a MAJOR change in our life and moving to Utah or Colorado and with the risks involved are seeking information and opinions:

We are married, in our mid 40's. I have been a police officer for 21yrs in the southeast. My wife spent many years as a paramedic and a parole officer for the state. As you might imagine we have seen the worse society has to offer in an area of the country that is full of violence, beauty, and lots of black vs white issues. We are not Mormon. We are spiritual and good people who believe in doing the right thing.

My wife and I have fostered many, many dogs over the years for the local humane society. We both love dogs and I have experience with horses as well. My wife has run her own dog training business now part time for several years and is about to test for a hard to get national dog trainer certification. She has taken a major cut in pay to work for the humane society and has never been happier in a job. I having been in the same place for over 20yrs, make a decent wage and it is slowly killing me with stress, bad hours, bad shifts, and nasty people for the most part.

We are visiting to try the area out and volunteer at Best Friends to see the area first hand. We are also going skiing of course, how could you not? We are average income and would have to sell our house to afford to move and set up life on the other side of the country. To say we are nervous is an understatement.

We love to travel but doing so takes more money than we usually have. My son is grown and in college so kids are not an issue. In general we tend to like people who are animal lovers and free spirits. We could not care less what religion you are, or if you are married, single, gay or straight, just don't be a*##hole if you know what I mean. Having put up with the worst society has to offer, neither one of us have much tolerance for nasty people.

Utah. (and Colorado, where I have spent several times visiting and skiing), seem to have professional fair minded people. We are risking so much to get out of the frying pan, and surely don't want to jump into anything worse.

ANY feedback will be so greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Ertman

Last edited by Ertman; 02-01-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:03 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Hi, Ertman! I responded to your other thread, so all I'm going to add at this point is that I really hope you find what you're looking for here in Utah. You definitely don't need to be LDS to enjoy yourselves here. You'll love Best Friends. There are no nasty folks there, primarily because most of them are furry. And we all know how awesome furry folks are.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks Katzpur, we really appreciate the response. As one might imagine we are eager for information!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 AM

Trying to bump this up, I was sure hoping for some input by now. . .

Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 AM

239 posts, read 952,458 times
I hope things work out for you! You seem to have a pretty good point of view. This forum does not have a lot of Southern Utah posters. All I can say is I was in a similar position 12 years ago and moved to here and have not regretted it for a minute! OK, maybe I miss a good pizza and beer place once in a while!
You seem to have a good attitude that would serve you well in any area.
Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Wish it did have more southern Utah posters then it would have it's own area.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Wish it did have more southern Utah posters then it would have it's own area.
It is like this on craigslist, a few other Southern Utah forums, I don't know why?!
There are a bunch of nuts who post on thespectrum.com
Maybe we are all too busy being outside in this beautiful area!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Not sure. But if you look at other forums...for instance California, there are tons of cities with their own forums. I asked once and the moderator said there needs to be more interest in southern Utah to have it's own forum.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Chickrae, I remember that thread. I should have been clearer. There are not a lot of posters on CL or other forums I visit.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks so much everyone. We are both excited about the trip, a great chance to get in some great skiing, and maybe lead down a different road in life. Sure we have friends here, both of us have been here about 25yrs AND we are not happy. I have never felt at home here. I grew up in a small town in the midwest, and although this area is beautiful, like I said it is very dark and ugly at the same time.

The pizza and beer thing. I take it that alcohol is greatly regulated? I mean we don't have Sunday beer/wine unless you are a restaurant, but we certainly do like our alcohol. Is this really that big an issue or just a little harder to get and more expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah