U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 50,308 times
Default Should we move to Park City???

My family amd I are planning a move to the mountains this summer. We were thinking of Boulder, Colorado but have pretty much decided against it because of the reputation of the extreme liberalism, etc etc. We are not at all against liberalism, just middle of the road. We visited Park City last fall and loved it but we were only there for a few days, not really long enough to get the feel of it. I am wondering about the general friendliness of people, also are there lots of mormons (we don't mind if there are as long as they are accepting of people into the community who are not mormons), the schools (private or public) and whether it is a good place for families with small children? Also, what is the climate like, I know it is cold and snowy in the winter, but just looking for a general idea as far as the dryness, etc. Any answers to these questions as well as any other advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone knows both Boulder and Park City well, comparisons would be great~Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM

421 posts, read 1,117,542 times
There are lots of Mormons, but there are also lots of non-Mormons. It's one of the more liberal areas of the state. It's also quite an expensive area. It has good schools and is good for families, although it doesn't have quite as much of a family vibe as other areas in northern UT. The climate is colder than SLC, so in winter that means you get lots more snow and colder temps, but in summer it also means you have nicer temps when SLC is broiling. It's very dry, like the rest of the state, so you might find yourself needing lots of lotion and chapstick, and maybe a humidifier or two. I've never been to Boulder, so I'm not much help there. But Park City is nice!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 28,603 times
You did not say where you are currently living, maybe I can be of more help if you'd like to share that information.

We live in Park City and I know Boulder well. Two very different towns
with the commonality of western lifestyle. Both cities are expensive.
Home prices are steep, taxes in CO are high but low in UT. If you live in PC, you live in a ski resort. The town is set up for the tourists during season and if you don't like crowds and even more crowds during Sundance it may not be the place for you. Hopefully you ski/snowboard/skateski/
snowshoe!

The PC schools are okay, nothing to get excited about~BUT better than
SLC schools which are ranked low. Private schools are an option, and
there are several to choose from.

Utah has the greatest snow on earth~not Colorado. PC averages 300 inches a season. Summers are mild, you can live without A/C. Boulder
can be humid. Boulder's elevation is 5400 ft, PC is minimun 6600 ft.
Some people have difficulty with elevation.

PC offers a myriad of outdoor activities for you and your family. There
are too many to list. It is a paradise in every season except spring.

What time of the year did you come to PC and how long did you stay?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,097,651 times
I'm considering the same two towns so am reviving this thread.

You say the spring is not great--can you elaborate? Are the spring and fall cold compared to Boulder?

I have not been to Park City at all, although we'll be checking it out soon. I'm not sure that will help w/the decision though as I'm sure it's gorgeous in summer. My concern is whether it's pretty chilly year-round (I like snow and a few months of winter, but I love heat and would probably not do well where a sweater is needed all year).

Does Park City have a tight-knit community for year-round residents? Are there lots of families with kids or is it too expensive for most families?

Would appreciate any further info. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 12,096 times
This thread is two years old? It doesn't matter...I'm glad its here because it just so happens that I am starting a new job in Park City and would like to move there, but can't find a 2 bdrm apt that rents for less than $1500/mo.
I would live in SLC but it seems kind of far to me...any suggestions?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 PM

8,858 posts, read 5,284,996 times
I have never been to Park City, but let me guess if I have a few things right. First, most of the residents come from the coasts and cashed in on the real estate or dot.com bubbles. Second, home prices are 2 standard deviations above the state average and such that few locals, and fewer poor people live there. Third, schools are quite good, but incoming people opt for private schools anyway. Fourth, it has the highest proportion of yoga mats and Range Rovers in the state. Fifth, lots of white kids with dreads from Maryland or California driving around in 4Runners bought by parents. Sixth, realtors are the most common professionals in town.

Just curious, how many of these did I get right? Honestly, I would very much like to be wrong.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM

6,564 posts, read 4,966,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I have never been to Park City, but let me guess if I have a few things right. First, most of the residents come from the coasts and cashed in on the real estate or dot.com bubbles. Second, home prices are 2 standard deviations above the state average and such that few locals, and fewer poor people live there. Third, schools are quite good, but incoming people opt for private schools anyway. Fourth, it has the highest proportion of yoga mats and Range Rovers in the state. Fifth, lots of white kids with dreads from Maryland or California driving around in 4Runners bought by parents. Sixth, realtors are the most common professionals in town.

Just curious, how many of these did I get right? Honestly, I would very much like to be wrong.
All of the above. You seem psychic.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM

590 posts, read 954,306 times
From what I have experienced of Park City so far I would have to second Chris C's take on your assessment Fiddlehead. You can tell just by the disenfranchised, disaffected, blase' attitude of many of the youth and a good handful of adults as well. There are real people but you have to work harder to seek them out.

The good news is the blase' crowd cannot go near or in a Library (Park City luckily has four I think) so if you find yourself surrounded like a scene from "Night Of The Living Dead" safety should be reasonably close at hand....

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 10-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Baad Spelliinng

Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM

6,519 posts, read 4,002,308 times
I wonder what the reaction would be if someone gave a post about the sterotypical person in Los Angeles, or Atlanta?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM

8,858 posts, read 5,284,996 times
I don't have a single bad thing to say about Park City. I hope to visit some day. I was just wondering if it was different than the other amenity-rich towns of the American West. I am not the least bit psychic, but I have seen the pattern I described in Aspen, Boulder, Bozeman, Durango, Jackson Hole, Santa Fe, Tahoe, Bend, Winthrop, Telluride, Sedona, Flagstaff, Coeur d' Alene, Mount Shasta, Eureka, Bellingham, Port Townsend, and of course, my home town of Ashland, Oregon. It seems like they are all small and so sought after by coastal types with big $$$ that the locals have been usurped by a rather predictable exurban culture. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't really want to deal with it. Way too much $$$ for a rather boring social millieu, IMO. I would rather find a place with longer term roots to its region, some historical character, and a degree of affordability than another outdoor mecca trolling for rich immigrants and trustafarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah