U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,483 times

Advertisements

yeah, she would probably know more then me as well but just from what I have seen with other kids raised. the young age is the most important to teach them rules, discipline and respect. Its like laying the foundation. You cant build a house without a strong foundation. The people want to let there kids to whatever they want and expect them to be decent when they hit there teenage years, there crazy.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 10,062 times
I think the original poster's observations are correct. People in Utah are overly occupied with appearance, especially for belonging to a culture that preaches to be humble and selfless. During the past 8 years I have lived in many places outside of Utah (Seattle, Phoenix), and when I moved here I saw a distinct difference in the appearance of Women, especially. No, there is nothing wrong with being clean. There is something wrong when you can't go to the park without peep-toe wedge heels on. These "modest" women dress and wear make-up like they are going to night clubs, but with sleeves of course.

I believe there are correlating factors here. Please consider the following Statistics of the Utah population:

Youngest marrying age
Youngest child bearing age
Most children born
AND...
Very significant rates of depression among women
Highest plastic surgery rates (again, humble and selfless?)
Highest prescription drug abuse
One of the highest rates of bankruptcy (The "Keeping up with the Jones'" is a whole different post)

Its like a puzzle that all fits together.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM

187 posts, read 687,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlover7 View Post
I agree with Tim... no matter what town you go to you will find folks that think they are "better than". It is my experience that the people that are the most stuck up, actually have the most to "hide". It's almost like the snobby attitude is a wall to keep you from getting to know how they really are. It is also my opinion that many that appear to be stuck up, do so to give the "perception" they are "better than", in reality they are the most insecure.

I thought about what you said. I think you are probably correct. Thanks for the psych lesson.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM

590 posts, read 1,034,082 times
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall.
Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the
spoil with the proud.

~Proverbs 16: 18-19 (KJV)

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM

77 posts, read 170,482 times
why do people concern themselves about people who appear "stuck up"

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM

25 posts, read 48,786 times
I wish this board had some real meaningful topics to discuss. Talking about people is the lowest form of communication. We need to cultivate & share ideas to encourage each other.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM

2,612 posts, read 3,473,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlover7 View Post
I wish this board had some real meaningful topics to discuss. Talking about people is the lowest form of communication. We need to cultivate & share ideas to encourage each other.
seconded. way to bring us back to reality.

maybe we could all go to the great debates forum and create a thread that would actually be worthy of the great debates forum, since most of them there fir into the politcs&controversies forum, or the yet to be seen gossip forum. come to think of it, most of the threads here in the utah forum should go to that last one too.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 7,099 times
Default Stuck up women

I don't really think there are stuck up women per say, I mean have you ever tried to approach them? One cannot judge a woman based on her appearance or her attitude and a chance meeting. Having kids is tough and can be stressful, to really understand a woman you have to spend time with her

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM

602 posts, read 1,231,900 times
Women who have children shouldn't work outside the home. They are the primary caregivers to their children.

[/quote]

In your opinion, right?? Unfortunately, some of us don't have a choice, although I have to honestly say I would choose to work in addition to being a mother even if I had the option to stay home.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 PM

25 posts, read 48,786 times
well, yes, my opinion, that's why I wrote it. If you are going to have kids, you should make them your MAIN job...I feel really bad for kids' whose mothers would rather work (by choice) than be the child's primary caregiver... why have kids at all? they are only young once and if you choose to work, if you don't have to is just plain selfish. Sorry, but that's my opinion! No one can do the job of caring for a child better than their own mother. For those that need to "get away" you weren't cut out for motherhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah