U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 18,383 times
Default Drive From Dallas to Salt Lake City

Hi I got transferred to Salt Lake City,

and I have to make the move. But unfortunately the company is not offering relocation package for the move, due to the economy.

Well, Since I am not paid for the relocation, I am planning to drive from Dallas, TX to Salt Lake City, UT.

I would like to know how the drive will be, Is it safe enough to drive?
Is it bad weather during this time of the year ? Will I have any obstacles while driving? Where should I stop for the night?

I understand that I have to drive
via
Dallas,TX -> Oklahoma City,OK -> Wichita,KS -> Denver, CO -> drive through Wyoming State -> Salt Lake City, UT.

I also understand that more than half of my journey is in the rocky monutains.

Please let me know if it is good choice to drive to Salt Lake City from dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 PM

893 posts, read 947,097 times
I had to drive to Nebraska, and let me tell you...it SUCKED. It's long and borig to say the least. I feel for you, but good luck and drive safe.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM

4,169 posts, read 7,789,771 times
I've heard that I-80 in Wyoming can be snowy and windy during the winter and early spring. I bet you're safe now though. The wind might be an issue but not the snow. I've driven from Denver to SLC in October before. The roads were dry but the wind was sure strong.

Where in the SL valley are you going to live? Do you have a place lined up?

Calling 511 on your cell phone can get you road conditions.

It's really dry here so be prepared with lip balm, lotion and hair conditioner.

Good luck and I hope you like it here. I've only been to the DFW airport, but never really been anywhere in Texas.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 PM

602 posts, read 1,160,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlnick View Post
Hi I got transferred to Salt Lake City,

and I have to make the move. But unfortunately the company is not offering relocation package for the move, due to the economy.

Well, Since I am not paid for the relocation, I am planning to drive from Dallas, TX to Salt Lake City, UT.

I would like to know how the drive will be, Is it safe enough to drive?
Is it bad weather during this time of the year ? Will I have any obstacles while driving? Where should I stop for the night?

I understand that I have to drive
via
Dallas,TX -> Oklahoma City,OK -> Wichita,KS -> Denver, CO -> drive through Wyoming State -> Salt Lake City, UT.

I also understand that more than half of my journey is in the rocky monutains.

Please let me know if it is good choice to drive to Salt Lake City from dallas.
For what it's worth, I've heard that staying on I-70 into Utah, is a much more scenic route to take, though it takes slightly longer. You'll have to let me know. I live in OKC and I'm being transferred to the Air Force Base there. I haven't decided if I'm going to take the Wyoming route or not. I feel for you though the Kansas leg of the journey. I hope you have someone to talk to on your way b/c there isn't much to look at..........lol

Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,130,549 times
I-70 would be a much more scenic route. Honestly, by the time you drive north from Denver to Cheyenne, I think you'd lose most of the advantage you gain in speed by driving I-80 through Wyoming.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,268,458 times
OSUgirl is right....take I-70. It is a fantastic route. Either route could give you crappy weather...so its 50 50 there.

I-35 to I-70 in KS is obvious. Then I-70 through CO into Utah. From there you have 2 choices...Rt 6 up to the Provo area then north on I-15.

Or...you can stay on I-70....hit Rt 89 and take that north to I-15 into SLC. Both are about the same distance. Rt 89 is probably a little slower but will put you in a bit more civilization. Rt 6 can be tricky with trucks but its a bit more scenic.

There is not a heck of a lot between Denver and the Utah border (or eastern Utah in general) on I-70...so I'd think about spending the night in Grand Junction or something like that.

Good luck...we lived in Layton UT north of SLC for 3 years and loved it!

Load your Ipod for sure...until you hit the mountains it's dreadfully boring.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM

4,169 posts, read 7,789,771 times
I'll chime in an add that I too agree about the I-70 route through Colorado. I drove that in October as well and the scenery was beautiful.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,211,005 times
I didnt actually come through that way, I drove from tampa, fl and went up through nebraska and wyoming down into salt lake city. This time of year I very highly doubt you will come into snow. its warm and from the weather reports I have seen, no rain in the future. From what im told hte summer is the dry time here so I would expect your trip to be fine and not take more then 2 days. We would have made it in 3 if the stupid trailer axel didnt break and cost us an entire day.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,263,230 times
I wouldn't recommend taking I-15 up to Salt Lake from I-70 ... it adds unnecessary length and time through rather plain terrain. You should probably take US 6 up to Provo and I-15 to Salt Lake, US 6 being a more scenic route. Also, I don't recommend I-80 through Wyoming. Incredibly boring and tiring.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 PM

34 posts, read 71,278 times
Yes, I think it's a great idea to drive from Dallas to SLC.

As many have already advised, your proposed route through Wyoming isn't the best way to go. I've driven coast-to-coast over 30 times , and I-80 through Wyoming stands out as one of the most hypnotically boring stretches of road imaginable. The weather should be OK this time of year, although there are frequently crosswinds - often strong - on much of that stretch.

I've also made a longer version of your particular trip (starting in suburban Houston, then through Dallas and Salt Lake to Boise, ID) three times in the last two years, because we're probably going to relocate to either Colorado or Idaho in the future, and we're trying to experience both places in all seasons. I'm about to do it again in July. Trust me...I-35/I-135 through Oklahoma and Kansas, and I-70 through Kansas and eastern Colorado, is almost as incredibly monotonous as I-80 through Wyoming.

I've got a route that I think you'll enjoy much more, if you are interested in a variety of scenery. It's actually (very) slightly fewer miles as well, though in total it takes a few hours longer because it's not all interstate highway. About the only reason to take the interstate route is if you require nearly 100% cell phone coverage and have a large national carrier. I have Verizon Wireless (VZW), and in case you do too, on my route below I've noted the coverage for VZW to the best of my recollection. It's about 95% of the trip. Sorry, can't speak for other wireless carriers, but you should be able to research that.

Of the various routes we've taken, we like this one the best:

Texas:
1. Wherever you are in DFW, navigate to TX 114 West (Carpenter Frwy.) out by DFW airport. Stay on 114 after it becomes Northwest Pkwy., all the way out past 35W to jct. US 287.
2. North on US 287 to I-40 West (Amarillo).
3. In Amarillo area, North on Loop 335 to North on US 87/US 287.
4. In Dumas, North on US 87 to the state line.
[VZW coverage is near 100% through TX]

New Mexico:
1. Just stay on US 87 (aka US 64) to North on I-25. You'll be passing the Capulin Volcano, which is very interesting.
[VZW coverage is almost 100% through this route in NM, except near the CO state line).

Colorado:
1. North on I-25 to Denver area.
2. Bypass most of metro Denver - and most of the traffic - by taking CO 470 West (this is south of Denver) to I-70 West. But if you want to go through Denver, stay on I-25 to I-70 West. You'll be able to see the Front Range of the Rockies on much of I-25, and a good deal of I-70 has great scenery.
[VZW has nearly 100% coverage though this route in CO).

Utah:
1. I-70 West. I suggest the shortcut in step 2 below, although you could stay on I-70 to I-15 North (I feel this is a waste of time, as Lmejh stated).
2. At exit 157, North on US 6 to the Spanish Lake/Provo area, then North on I-15 to Salt Lake.
[small parts of US 6 have no coverage on VZW].

Have a safe trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy the many areas of spectacular scenery Utah has to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah