Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM

181 posts, read 687,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, it's really that way. Only temple recommend holding members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are allowed in our temples once they have been dedicated. Unfortunately, that includes attending weddings that are performed there. If the couple had chosen to have a civil ceremony (i.e. any kind of a ceremony other than one performed in the temple), and then had their marriage "sealed" at a later date in the temple, her father would have been able to attend. Some couples handle things that way to keep from hurting anyone's feelings.
OK, then it's true, WOW. I guess the wife should have known that.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Thanks, what is hard about being non LDS in Utah is finding a church that is accepting of all the paths to God.I am done with the we are right the rest are not so right attitudes(I have seen this in the few churches I have attended, maybe I am being to sensative, however why would I want my children attending a place of worship that does not take other belife systems seriously(I am talking about someof the non LDS churches) Maybe I just have had bad lluck. Anyways thanks for the info michelleligh

Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 AM

121 posts, read 347,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
...I am done with the we are right the rest are not so right attitudes...
I think that about sums up the typical Mormon attitude. I think it's not as much "We are right and those other guys are wrong" as "Those other guys have a lot of truth, but we have more." We realize that we have a lot more in common than we have differences. Doesn't help much, though, does it?

To be fair, that attitude is pretty mild compared to a lot I've seen, and not just from religious folks. The Atheists and Agnostics on the Religion forum are sometimes worse. I think it might be more important to go one level deeper. Mormons generally don't have the attitude "You're an idiot because you're wrong." More often it's "I can see how you might feel that way. Just because you don't agree with my religious views doesn't mean you're an idiot or a bad person. We can still be friends."

Have you looked into Universal Unitarian congregations? They seem to be more of a "whatever you want to believe is fine" kind of group.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Please forgive me I did not mean LDS, I ment what was supposed to be non denominational churches have had this type of attitude. I do not like it,I mean if I do not want someone who is LDS to not judge me then why would I go to a church that judges LDS. I never understood this view point from organized religon, God is God he loves us all even when we do not love each other as we should. Sorry again I did not mean LDS at all. I thought of the church you have mentioned but would love something closer to home. I would love to attend a LDS service with my children even though I do not see myself converting(as it would cause to many hurt feelings in my family)

Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

52 posts, read 166,696 times
michelleleigh... it sounds like you are looking for the Unitarian Universalist Church indeed. If you do want to go to an LDS service though I'd go without your kids once first. I did last week and I think I even managed to pass myself as a Mormon... at least to begin with. I get the impression that you can "investigate" either surreptitiously or formally but you can't just keeping going and going without joining though (especially with kids you'd be more conspicuous).

OK some more questions if any of you good folks in the know feel like taking up any of these...

How do you convert (what's involved/how long does it take)—the cliff notes please?

If you join after your early 20s do you still have to go on a mission to get the Temple recommend?

Are the main things you need a Temple recommend for getting married and getting into BYU?

Do converts have lower status than born-LDS?

If you're already a member from a young age, what if you can't afford to go on a mission... I heard you need ~$10,000?

Are there any auditors to check that the tithing money isn't being misappropriated or used fraudulently?

Once your name is "on the books" how big brothery is it... like if you miss church for a few weeks do TPTB start knocking on your door?

What happens if your Bishop finds out that you drank coffee or something like that?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM

I'll take a stab at a couple of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasirGirl View Post
Sometimes they might feel a little left out if they don't know the primary songs the born-LDS learned when they were little. But other than that there's not much of an issue. Doctrinally, read the parable of the laborers in Matthew 20:1-16. The born-LDS are those that are hired in the early morning. The converts can be hired any time up to the 11th hour, and they still get the same reward.
Quote:
Are there any auditors to check that the tithing money isn't being misappropriated or used fraudulently?
Definitely. At every level. Every ward is audited every year, and they pretty much have to account for every penny. There are pretty strict rules to follow, like making sure there are always at least two people there whenever anything is done with tithing funds. From the opening of the donation envelopes until they're deposited in the lock boxes at the bank. There are audits at the stake level as well, and higher levels even up to the entire church. At the higher levels the audits are done by independent auditors, and reported in General Conference. I understand the penalties for misuse are pretty severe and immediate. They don't give second chances. Although I don't have any first or second hand experience with that.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:
michelleleigh... it sounds like you are looking for the Unitarian Universalist Church indeed. If you do want to go to an LDS service though I'd go without your kids once first. I did last week and I think I even managed to pass myself as a Mormon... at least to begin with. I get the impression that you can "investigate" either surreptitiously or formally but you can't just keeping going and going without joining though (especially with kids you'd be more conspicuous).

OK some more questions if any of you good folks in the know feel like taking up any of these...

How do you convert (what's involved/how long does it take)—the cliff notes please?

If you join after your early 20s do you still have to go on a mission to get the Temple recommend?

Are the main things you need a Temple recommend for getting married and getting into BYU?

If you're already a member from a young age, what if you can't afford to go on a mission... I heard you need ~$10,000?

Once your name is "on the books" how big brothery is it... like if you miss church for a few weeks do TPTB start knocking on your door?

What happens if your Bishop finds out that you drank coffee or something like that?
Although I am not LDS, I am pretty sure that you do not NEED to go on a mission. It is really a personal choice. You also do not need to go on a mission for your recommend. You only need a recommend to get married IF you are going to get married in the temple. Plenty of LDS get married in a civil ceremony.

I do believe that you also do not need a recommend to get into BYU..as you don't HAVE to be LDS to attend that school.

How did I do, Katz???

Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Although I am not LDS, I am pretty sure that you do not NEED to go on a mission. It is really a personal choice. You also do not need to go on a mission for your recommend. You only need a recommend to get married IF you are going to get married in the temple. Plenty of LDS get married in a civil ceremony.
hehe. Yeah. It's the other way around. You need a temple recommend to go on a mission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I do believe that you also do not need a recommend to get into BYU..as you don't HAVE to be LDS to attend that school.
While technically correct, there is a catch. Even non-LDS need an ecclesiastical endorsement in order to attend BYU, or BYU Idaho or Hawaii. Which means they have to have an interview with their minister and basically sign the same honor code. And they have to re-sign it every year they are a student.

When I was college age, they used to be more lenient of honor code violations. But then they started getting so many applications that they had to turn away, they started getting more hard nosed. The attitude was, "If you're not going to be a good student and follow the rules, we have 5 people just waiting to take your place that WILL."

Of course the main thing you need a temple recommend for is to get into the temple. Which means attending temple weddings or sealings or other ordinances (including your own). Also temple dedications or solemn assemblies. But if you are going to be called to represent the church in some way (like being a bishop or missionary), they like to make sure you pass the basic worthiness test. It's really not all that hard to be temple worthy. They ask if you really believe in God and Jesus, and if you support your church leaders. If you're honest and pay your tithing and don't have sexual relationships outside of marriage, and don't smoke or drink or do drugs, and if you don't beat your wife and kids... that sort of thing. Oh yeah, you have to be a baptized member and attend some meetings.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
You wrote:

My reply is:

It can be done quite quickly. I've heard about people who were taught some discussions by missionaries, desired to be baptized, and were baptized within a couple of days. I think the better question is do you want to convert that fast? I am LDS, but I think those who join should understand what they are doing and what their responsibilities as members are. Quick conversions can often lead to people leaving abruptly as well.

You wrote:

My reply is:

You don't need to go on a mission to get a temple recommend. The bishop in your ward has a series of questions he asks people as a prerequisite. Most deal with personal and sexual morality. You will be asked if you are paying your tithing. If the bishop is satisfied with all your answers than he will sign a temple recommend for you.

You wrote:

My reply is:

You don't need a temple recommend to get into BYU. Non-members are admitted. However, I'm sure it helps to be a member-in-standing who has either a temple recommend, been on a mission, or both. Admission to BYU is very competitive. The institution has its pick of students with high GPAs and ACTs.

You wrote:

My reply is:

Not officially by any stretch of the imagination. However, socially there are probably some heavily LDS areas where a few snobs might make a judgment like that. In my ward, it doesn't happen. We happen to have many converts.

You wrote:

My reply is:

A young person going on a mission needs to pay to go. There is a monthly charge that has been standardized for all missionaries (it used to vary depending on where you were sent). I'm not sure. Its possible that two years expense adds up to $10,000.00. Its probably in the ballpark.

You wrote:

My reply is:

I'm sure there are. However, make no mistake about it, the church doesn't make its finances public. You can't go somewhere and read the results of any "audit" conducted. I personally wish there was less secrecy on the part of the church on its finances. I don't think it really serves anyone well.

You wrote:

My reply is:

Wards try to keep members active. Even active members will usually be visited by home teachers and visiting teachers. Inactive members will usually receive by these individuals and sometimes others. If you don't want these visits you can tell them to go away.

You wrote:

My reply is:

He may ask you to join him down at the Roasting Company next time. Although, he'll probably drink hot chocolate or steamed milk. Seriously, though while coffee is frowned on by the Word of Wisdom, most bishops and members realize there are far more serious problems in the world.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry if you don't think you got a straight answer from me. I did my best. [/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]I will be in touch via direct message before the end of the day tomorrow.
I didn't mean you didn't provide a straight answer. I just have never heard one that I understood I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah