Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 AM

34 posts, read 33,137 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I drove through your beautiful state. I always wanted to see Temple Square, and did. The Tabernacle was being repaired as the foundation was being re-reinforced, so I couldn't get in, and they would not let me see inside the temple, as there was something about me they didn't like I suppose. Not much of a welcome. Strange things these people believe. I fear I would have to take religion lightly after that experience, like Thomas Jefferson and many of our forefathers did. I've been in cathedrals over the world, including St Peters in Roma, but no LDS Temple.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,818,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktorch View Post
I've been in cathedrals over the world, including St Peters in Roma, but no LDS Temple.
Let's look at it this way ..
Since you did not see anything *yet* inside an LDS Temple, you haven't missed anything *yet*.
So go on in life, stop crying over spilt milk.

But ... , if you really are interested what is inside an LDS Temple, it is really simple to do so.
Become a member (like in any other association or groupe).
Prove yourself worthy (like in any other religion)
Then go in and look.

You speak of cathedrals ? Most of them are owned by the Catholic Church ...
Have you ever tried to get into their really *sacred* places, like the Vatican ?

Their Cathedrals are like regular meeting houses of the LDS church.
You can go in, on any Sunday and look around to your hearts content.

An LDS Temple is a really sacred place, and NOT accessible to any Tom, Dick, Harry or Mary,
even if they are LDS church members.

Want to know more (?), do not ask *here*, but contact the Church itself or find some LDS Missionaries (hard to NOT recognise them !!)

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,958,817 times
Non LDS members can not see the inside of the Temples. It is nothing personal against you. The only time you can is during an open house of a new, not yet dedicated Temple.

I am Catholic and have yet to visit the Vatican, although I would LOVE to do so!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM

40 posts, read 157,962 times
Even many LDS can't go inside some temples, correct? Don't you have to have a 'temple recommend' to be allowed inside a temple? What does that entail?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 14,199,361 times
Quote:
Even many LDS can't go inside some temples, correct? Don't you have to have a 'temple recommend' to be allowed inside a temple? What does that entail?[
Katzpur may answer this in more complete detail. The gist of it is that when you want a "temple recommend" or want to have your "temple recommend" renewed, you go before your bishop for an interview. You will be asked a series of questions like:

1. Do you keep the 10 Commandments?
2. Do you believe in Christ?
3. Do you believe that Joseph Smith was the Prophet of God?
4. Do you believe that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God?
5. Do you pay a full tithing?

If you answer satisfactorily than you will either get a "temple recommend" or have your old one renewed.

You are correct that many LDS people cannot go inside temples. The statistics from our ward that I saw a couple of years ago said that just over half of the members held "temple recommends".

I'll add one more comment to this: The church encourages young people to participate in a Temple Ordinance known as "Baptism for the Dead". As such, its fairly easy for young people to get a limited purpose "temple recommend" that allows them access to the temple to participate in this ordinance.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM

27,991 posts, read 29,817,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktorch View Post
A few years ago I drove through your beautiful state. I always wanted to see Temple Square, and did. The Tabernacle was being repaired as the foundation was being re-reinforced, so I couldn't get in, and they would not let me see inside the temple, as there was something about me they didn't like I suppose. Not much of a welcome. Strange things these people believe. I fear I would have to take religion lightly after that experience, like Thomas Jefferson and many of our forefathers did. I've been in cathedrals over the world, including St Peters in Roma, but no LDS Temple.
What an odd criticism. Yeah, from time to time, renovations must be done on buildings that are 150 or so years old. I'm really sorry that they didn't time this particular one to suit your schedule better. I'm also sorry you weren't able to go inside the temple. Most people who come here have done their homework, know in advance that this will be the case, and choose not to let it ruin the Temple Square experience. After all, Temple Square comprises 35 acres and has about a dozen beuatiful and interesting buildings you could have gone in.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
have yet to visit the Vatican, although I would LOVE to do so!
If you use Google earth, and then use Street view, you probably do not see any more, being there, or via your computer.

Note the absence of people in the courtyard ...
Same thing with LDS Temples !

Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 AM

404 posts, read 1,191,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What an odd criticism. Yeah, from time to time, renovations must be done on buildings that are 150 or so years old. I'm really sorry that they didn't time this particular one to suit your schedule better. I'm also sorry you weren't able to go inside the temple. Most people who come here have done their homework, know in advance that this will be the case, and choose not to let it ruin the Temple Square experience. After all, Temple Square comprises 35 acres and has about a dozen beuatiful and interesting buildings you could have gone in.
Actually, it is not odd if you are not Mormon. When I first visited there 6 years ago, I knew nothing about the religion as I lived on the east coast. I was truly taken aback that I could not get in. What the original,poster may not have known is that even some members of the religion can not get in either! So please, before you judge him on his lack of knowledge about your religion, know that many folks not from the western states know very little about you.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM

27,991 posts, read 29,817,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
Actually, it is not odd if you are not Mormon. When I first visited there 6 years ago, I knew nothing about the religion as I lived on the east coast. I was truly taken aback that I could not get in. What the original,poster may not have known is that even some members of the religion can not get in either! So please, before you judge him on his lack of knowledge about your religion, know that many folks not from the western states know very little about you.
I didn't judge him on his lack of knowledge, jfitt. I judged him on his attitude -- which sucked big time.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
his lack of knowledge about your religion,.
If he DID want to enter, he was stopped and given an explanation of why, so please do not excuse ignorance ...

Those of us who give their time at Temple Square are instructed to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah