U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,574 times

Advertisements

I never lived outside of Utah until after high school and it is a different world outside Utah being a Mormon. But I don't think it was any better or worse.. just different.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 PM

24,241 posts, read 24,776,318 times
I listened to a RadioWest program on KUER yesterday and was so happy to find it online today. It was called Mormons and Non-Mormons in Utah. I highly recommend it for any non-Mormon moving to Utah who is concerned about fitting in with his LDS neighbors. There were four panelists, some Mormon, some not. They provided an hour's worth of excellent listening.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Since this thread was once immensely popular, but hasn't seen any action since November, 2013, maybe it's time to bump it. Or maybe it's time to start a "Part 2" since there are so many people here now who weren't here then. Just as a reminder... this thread is not to be used by Mormons who want to proselytize their beliefs and it's not to be used by non-Mormons as a soapbox for telling the world why all Mormons are going to Hell. Its sole purpose is to discuss Mormon culture, particularly as it exists in Utah. If there's an LDS practice that's throwing you for a loop or want to ask a simple question (e.g. "What, specifically, are Mormons allowed and not allowed to eat and/or drink?"), and don't want the discussion to result in your opening your front door to a couple of Mormon missionaries tomorrow morning, this is a good place to go for that information.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,234 times
Hello, I just found this fourm and thread today. I'm moving to Logan Utah in a few weeks, and this thread has already been very informative. I'm a non-morman and have never really even been to Utah before. I've read through about page 10 so far, but this thread has clearly been a long discussion! I'll keep reading, but i still have many questions and may want to post some here. Maybe it is time for a part 2.

Looking forward to learning more about what i'm getting into!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,234 times
Ok, sorry for the double post, but i have some questions now.

First off, how do mormans in Utah view so-called extra-spiritual fraternal organizations such as Freemasons, Elks lodge, etc?
I consider myself a christian, and I am also a freemason and I wear a masonic ring. I know some other religions like Catholicism, Jehova's Witness's, etc, have a pretty negative view of fraternal organizations even though they're not religious in and of themselves, but rather require a separate personal faith. Would mormans react negatively if they noticed my masonic ring / affiliation? Are there mormans who are also freemasons?

Also a general question, what's the deal with the morman religion versus the morman culture? It seems like the church is a much bigger influence on culture and in people's lives than most other casual church-goes of other faiths. I just hope that all the fun activities in town, if there are such events, aren't just LDS-only church events. And I hope I can talk to my future neighbors and make friends with some LDS folks even if i never plan on joining the LDS church. Thanks for any reply's, i look forward to learning more.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1129 View Post
No problem. That's the point of the thread. I may start a new thread, though. Who wants to read over 700 posts to see if his question is embedded in there somewhere?

Quote:
First off, how do mormans in Utah view so-called extra-spiritual fraternal organizations such as Freemasons, Elks lodge, etc?
I consider myself a christian, and I am also a freemason and I wear a masonic ring. I know some other religions like Catholicism, Jehova's Witness's, etc, have a pretty negative view of fraternal organizations even though they're not religious in and of themselves, but rather require a separate personal faith. Would mormans react negatively if they noticed my masonic ring / affiliation? Are there mormans who are also freemasons?
Actually, Mormonism's founder, Joseph Smith, was himself a Freemason. There is a Masonic temple here in Salt Lake City, as well as a Shriner's Children's Hospital. I don't personally know any Mormons who are also Masons, but I do know that it is permitted, that there are Mormon Masons, and that there is no animosity for Masons among Mormons.

Quote:
Also a general question, what's the deal with the morman religion versus the morman culture? It seems like the church is a much bigger influence on culture and in people's lives than most other casual church-goes of other faiths. I just hope that all the fun activities in town, if there are such events, aren't just LDS-only church events. And I hope I can talk to my future neighbors and make friends with some LDS folks even if i never plan on joining the LDS church. Thanks for any reply's, i look forward to learning more.
No, all of the fun activities in town are definitely not LDS Church-only events. We have farmers' markets, arts fairs, concerts, sports and outdoor recreation of all kinds that have absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,992,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And1129 View Post

I'm going to simply say no biggie to Mormons with your first question. Not sure for other prominent religions.

Your second question is broken down in a way that is much easier to answer. I agree with Katz, local LDS fun events, sports, dinners and more welcome all. It's just not a good idea to show up for a dinner with a bottle of wine for the host

How people enter UT has a lot to do with their experiences. Those with an agenda will focus on their agenda to prove it. Those who want fabulous powder skiing will probably find it.

You will determine where and how you make friends. Some work settings have more LDS than others. Getting involved with community activities allows you to focus on either serving others or activities that you enjoy. You'll likely make friends at community events, especially if you are volunteering because you'll meet others who have the same desire to serve whatever groups you do. Serving those less fortune is a great way to meet people who care about common causes. Friendships are easier when you have something in common with other people

MSR

Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 AM

1,787 posts, read 2,102,302 times
Hey, are you moving to Logan to attend USU? If so, awesome choice. I'm a recent alumni of there. I really liked Logan, it's a quaint city with everything you need, but it really IS as cold as everyone tells you. Also, student or not, make sure you make your way to a couple basketball games at The Spectrum.

Mormons have an interesting relationship with the Free Masons. I won't go into detail, in an attempt to respect beliefs, but I will say that the similarities between the Mormon endowment ritual and the Master Mason ritual are... well... striking. This has a lot to do with Joseph Smith frequenting Mason lodges before creating his Endowment ritual. His successor changed it up a bit and it has been changed again since then (in the 90s) but the skeleton is most clearly a Masonic ritual. You can research this more on Google, if you're curious. We have a beautiful Mason lodge on South Temple Street, in SLC, that you should check out. I've actually toured it and was impressed. The guy who gave me a tour alluded to being Mormon, but I guess it's a rule that you can't talk about your own personal religion at the lodge or something (at least this is what he implied). I have no idea if Logan has a lodge. Google can probably answer that too.

I agree, the Mormon influence on culture is very strong. Mormons really like to hang out with other Mormons, there is no denying this. I used to be one and the inclusive attitude is always there; however, you are strongly encouraged to invite your Non-Mormon friends to Mormon hosted activities. Just don't expect any beer or bare shoulders, and honestly were I you, I'd avoid those types of situations. The expectation is always eventual conversion. That being said, where you live plays a strong factor into how many secular activities there are. In Northern Salt Lake County and Summit County, there are a lot of Non-LDS people, in fact the majority are non-LDS or former-LDS. (PS. LDS is a synonym for Mormon), much of the rest of the state lacks this. Luckily for you, the Logan area has a pretty strong counter-culture that I think you'll fit in nicely with. They're easy to pick out - just go like.. rock climb on Sundays or hang out at the Owl. I will say this about Logan, if you're single - dating can be a bit of a nightmare up there for a Non-Mormon or Post-Mormon.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:20 PM

20,873 posts, read 26,318,030 times
I am not moving to Utah, but SLC is a place that we would like to visit at some time. I do have some LDS friends who live in the SLC area who are involved with adoption. We met in NY and in Chicago. However, I have never been to Utah.

1. May non Mormons visit the temple? I have heard of something called a Temple Recomend. I am guessing that this is only for LDS people. Are tourists permitted inside?

2. I know that alcohol and caffeine drinks are prohibited. Does this extend to cocoa or hot chocolate? Are there any other foods or drinks that LDS members eschew?

3. I really like Marie Osmond. We are the same age and as a teen I enjoyed "The Donny and Marie" show. I also know that she is divorced. Is divorce OK in some instances in the LDS church? For example - adultery. Or are there other reasons why Marie is still an LDS member? I am glad that she is.

4. Do LDS people think that other Christians are following false religions? Or does this vary from Mormon to Mormon?

Thanking you before hand.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not moving to Utah, but SLC is a place that we would like to visit at some time. I do have some LDS friends who live in the SLC area who are involved with adoption. We met in NY and in Chicago. However, I have never been to Utah.
I hope you do get the chance to come, Sheena. I think you'd really enjoy the trip.

Quote:
1. May non Mormons visit the temple? I have heard of something called a Temple Recomend. I am guessing that this is only for LDS people. Are tourists permitted inside?
No, tourists are not permitted inside. There is, however, a relatively large replica of the temple on display in the South Visitors' Center. It has two sides cut out, enabling people to see what the interior looks like. It's all done in great detail, so I would recommend it to any visitors to Temple Square.

Quote:
2. I know that alcohol and caffeine drinks are prohibited. Does this extend to cocoa or hot chocolate? Are there any other foods or drinks that LDS members eschew?
Alcohol, coffee and tea are forbidden. Caffeinated soft drinks (e.g. Coke) are not. Members are encouraged to eat a lot of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and to limit the eating of meat. The "dos" seem to be taken less seriously, I'm afraid, than the "donts."

Quote:
3. I really like Marie Osmond. We are the same age and as a teen I enjoyed "The Donny and Marie" show. I also know that she is divorced. Is divorce OK in some instances in the LDS church? For example - adultery. Or are there other reasons why Marie is still an LDS member? I am glad that she is.
Divorce is permitted but not encouraged. Members are encouraged to try to work things out in a bad marriage whenever possible. Divorce is definitely not an excommunicable offense, though, and I know many divorced Mormons. Marie has actually been divorced twice. She actually re-married her first husband in 2011, and they appear to be doing much better this time around.

Quote:
4. Do LDS people think that other Christians are following false religions? Or does this vary from Mormon to Mormon?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints claims to be the re-established Church Jesus Christ founded as part of His earthly ministry. As such, it claims to be the only church to have the "fullness of the gospel." That said, the Church stresses that there is much good and much truth in all religions.

Quote:
Thanking you before hand.
You're welcome! Have a good day, Sheena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah