U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,751,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
One thing i'm wondering is whether or not any/many towns in UT have like, town-wide holiday celebrations, like 4th of July celebrations/BBQ's in the park, or Christmas performances, etc? I'm just wondering, because I'm the kind of guy who loves to go to stuff like block parties, park BBQ's, etc.
Yes most cities have 4th of July celebrations. Another holiday in Utah is July 24th and many festivities that day also. Big parade in Salt Lake that day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM

4,355 posts, read 8,533,051 times
There are many such activities throughout the state. The 24th of July is a state holiday commemorating Brigham Young's arrival here. About the only thing I'm not real certain of is block parties in any given neighborhood. I know neighborhoods have them, but I think it's up to those residents to work out all the details.

Festivals/carnivals/parties and events similar happen all year round in various cities.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM

16 posts, read 45,875 times
Bruce, you mentioned in one post that you had a list of cities that you were considering. What are those cities, if you don't mind me asking? It might help give us a better idea as to what you might be looking for. As mentioned by others, many cities here have local activities like founders days, 4th of July festivities, 24th of July activities and other such things.

You mentioned that you would like a smaller city than Salt Lake City. As others have mentioned, the Provo area could be a good place. Lots of singles wards there. Actually, there are several stakes that have singles wards in them. Other cities that you could consider are Layton, Ogden, Brigham City, Logan or the other cities around those areas. Several years ago, I lived in a single bedroom apartment in Ogden (nice area) for $400/month, but I'm not sure if they've increased their price since then.

Also, for jobs, you could go to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and go to the Home and Family section and click on Employment. There a section called Employment Opportunities With the Church. You could look and see what openings they have in Utah.

Other things to consider are whether or not you're planning on going to school, what hobbies and other interests do you have? Those things could also help you decide what city would be best for you.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM

218 posts, read 489,464 times
^

Thanks for your reply! I don't mind you asking about the other cities... here is the list...

UTAH

- St. George
- Park City
- Provo
- Orem
- Sandy

OTHER STATES

- Dallas (suburb, non-metro)
- Houston (suburb, non-metro)
- Austin (suburb, non-metro)

- Las Vegas

- Phoenix (suburb, non-metro)

I was considering Texas, because there are many big cities where the chances of finding employment would be good, and it rains a lot more in TX than it ever will in CA. Plus, the state is very open, and has lots of stuff to enjoy. But TX is far from CA, and it would cost more money to move all my stuff there... more than I can afford.

Las Vegas would be a sure bet for finding employment, but it is WAY, WAY, too hot in Nevada, and I could not take that degree of heat. The same goes for AZ... it is WAY too hot, which is why it never made it to serious consideration, although AZ is a remarkably beautiful state.

That left Utah, because it's further north, has lots of outdoor recreation, cost of living is lower than CA, but IMO, standard of living is WAY higher, there is a massive LDS population, so I'd feel at home, it snows, and I've never in my life seen falling snow, I can find work easier than here in CA, and hopefully, I can have more comfortable of a social life in UT, as well. It's close enough where I can afford to transport all my stuff there, without using a trailer, so that saves me money.

Hobby-wise, one thing I LOVE doing, in my free time, is taking long road trips, so I could totally see driving on the weekends to one of Utah's beautiful canyons or parks, and just exploring the state. I like walking, so a neighborhood that is good for walking, maybe with a nice park nearby would be great. I like eating out, going to movies, and just kind of hanging out around the town. Are there any communites with parks with like small lakes or ponds or something?

I might consoder school again, and if I did, I would either go to BYU, or take an online course from BYU, so I'm glad the university is there. I know it gets hot in UT, but I'm sure it's likely not as bad as Arizona or Vegas. But I am prepared for that. ARE there any areas of UT that get more rain than others, if any?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM

71 posts, read 114,640 times
Rent for $400? Hmmmm best bet is Clearfield, UT. Layton can get pricey, so does SLC.

Ogden is a pretty nice college town and you'll probably get by with $400/month on rent.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM

71 posts, read 114,640 times
Oopps I just saw your list right now, sorry!

I've only been to St. George, Provo, and Park City but I believe they are all expensive places to live.

-----------------------
UTAH

- St. George
- Park City
- Provo
- Orem
- Sandy

Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Well, again, SLC is not on my list, because it's a "central" hub of activity, so i know it's both busy and pricey. I do not want to live in SLC, or the main part of the city. I want a suburb that is close to a few of the nice amenities one would expect... shopping, work, dining, parks/entertainment. Like I said, I don't need anything like high-speed internet, or cable TV, or anything like that... just something very basic.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 45,875 times
If you would prefer not to live in Arizona or Las Vegas because of the heat, then St. George might not be the best place. Beautiful area, but it's about the hottest place in the state.

Park City could be a good option. Nice area, lots of good mountain and skiing options nearby. However, It is a more expensive area to live and you might have some problems finding an apartment in the $400 price range.

Provo and Orem could be good options. I'm not real familiar with those areas, but you could probably find more affordable living arrangements. Also, if you do decide to go to BYU, then you're already right there.

Although it's not on your list, I would also suggest looking at the Ogden area. It has easy access to skii resorts, mountains, hiking, etc. It's a smaller city than SLC, so it's not as crowded. Their new downtown improvements have been turning out nice.

Out of the cities on your list in Utah, I would say Provo might be the best, followed by either Sandy or Orem.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Just curious, but are there any new construction apartment buildings in or near Provo?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,954 times
I have lived in and around the Provo/Orem for the past few years and I think you should be able to find what you are looking for there. There is TONS of rental housing due to the large student population. Some of the housing near BYU requires you to be a student to live in it, but there is lots of housing just for singles a little further out and in Orem. You could find an apartment for 200-300 a month if you were willing to have roommates. If you wanted a one-bedroom apartment for yourself I think the selection would be slimmer... but you might be able to find it. I would say you should have no problem trying to find a job as a cashier in the area, but as others have said it won't pay very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah