Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 PM

852 posts, read 788,730 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading these forums for some time now and figured I would ask a question from a little different angle.

My wife and I are currently living in South Carolina. Our son and grandkids live in Denver. I am originally from Oregon, but grew up in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. My wife is German.

We are looking for a place to retire where we can raise most of our own food, enjoy a small town pace and quality of life, enjoy the great outdoors and be mostly self sufficient. While also being close enough to the grandkids to visit and give them someplace to come and see what else is out there besides the city.

I am retired military, so conservative by nature, very much into the country/cowboy way of life, a mans word is his bond sort of thing. Neighborly to me is helping out without being asked because that is just what you do. Don't judge people based on there looks, color or beliefs, but based on their words and actions. We are also non LDS.

We spent some time last summer traveling Utah and loved it. Spent some days in Cedar City, Richfield and Moab. I thought the people were friendly, everything was clean, and I never once felt out of place or unsafe.

Having said all of that, I would love to hear from you on whether or not we would fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,713,508 times
Based on what you have said, I don’t think you would have a problem. Maybe I’m wrong, but I picture you as the kind of person to mind his own business and expects others to do the same, while helping neighbors as necessary.

I think the problems that arise are with children feeling excluded or with those people who expect their neighborhood buddies to come over for beer and football every Sunday, though trust me you can find a peer group of common interests in the larger towns if you make the effort.

Feeling excluded may happen more often in UT, but I really think it is less intentional than some on this board think it is – more of an insensitivity of people being busy with church activities and making friends there than a purposeful exclusion.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,130,482 times
It sounds like you would fit in perfectly and would absolutely love the variety of outdoors activities Utah has to offer.

As quite a few people on this forum have said before. It is what you make of it. If you think you won't fit in you won't. If you think you will you will. If you're friendly, people will be friendly in return. If you do decide to move here you might wanna check out Heber Valley. Sounds like it might be up your alley.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:55 PM

421 posts, read 1,735,205 times
I think you sound like a great fit for Utah. There are lots of small, friendly towns where you could have a garden and enjoy a quiet life. And the cowboy culture is not dead, especially in smaller towns. I think you'd do great here!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:30 AM

852 posts, read 788,730 times
Thanks for the replies. Now to just find that perfect spot, lots of sun, some snow, not to cold and not to hot.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
Default opps

sorry I will , I guess i just did'nt think!
John

Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 PM

378 posts, read 1,900,826 times
Space is directly above you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah