Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 15,212 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question. With my promotion my family was relocated out to SLC from Texas. My wife is a very qualified and highly accredited middle school teacher coming from one of the best school districts in Texas. Yet she has been unable to receive any interviews with the SLC schools. She has interviewed twice down in Alpine, but no luck here even getting an interview. She is becoming very bitter towards Utah, and has even talked about moving back to Texas until my time here is over. Have others had problems moving from out of state? We have also been told by a few current Utah teachers that because she is from out of state and non-LDS that her chance of getting a teaching job would be slim? Surely that can not be right, I would think school disctricts would be all over getting a young talented female teacher. Thoughts from anyone??

Last edited by osumaffia; 07-15-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
I am not sure why she isn't unless it is due to the budget cuts in education lately. I know that they do hire from out of state because I worked with several teachers the past couple of years that were from the mid-west and moved out here just to teach.

I am sorry it is affecting her outlook towards Utah in its entirety. Wish I had a more concrete answer for you. Hopefully things will begin to look up for her!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
I suspect religion is just a "whipping boy" in this case. The reality is that school districts have been hit very hard here by the budget crunch since the recession started. I'm not sure how much hiring is going on anywhere. Some districts may even have a hiring freeze in place. Hopefully, this economy will start getting better soon. This recession has been very deep.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
schools in utah have been cutting expenses across the board. i only know about that much about educator-specific economic situations. in general, times are tough. i was laid off a few weeks ago and have yet to find new employment. before that, all of my friends and associates were getting the axe one by one. i actually lasted three or four months longer than i had expected to...

it is certainly possible that religion has something to do with it. but sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,438 times
The school districts are hurting from cuts... They aren't on a hiring spree this year. In addition, less teachers are leaving the profession due to the economy.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM

287 posts, read 768,695 times
Yup I'd say simply more competition for fewer jobs. I'm sure your wife is highly qualified and would be a great teacher. I doubt religion has anything to do with it. I think I had more non-lds teachers in high school than LDS. What IS it about these stupid unfounded rumors that you can't get a job in Utah if you aren't LDS? That is pure hogwash!!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM

47 posts, read 157,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osumaffia View Post
My wife is a very qualified and highly accredited middle school teacher coming from one of the best school districts in Texas.
I don't mean to be difficult, but what specifically do you mean by very qualified and highly accredited? Masters degree? What specialty? How many years of experience? Has she subbed at all in Utah?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
she must not be mormon

Old 07-18-2009, 02:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
she must not be mormon
well, the op did mention that at the top. but i would imagine that this isn't what is determining the op's situation.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:19 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
My sister taught Jr. High School science in the Park City School District for close to 25 years. She also worked in an administrative postion for several years. This year, the district offered a special early retirement package that included a $30,000 bonus. One of the stipulations was that the retiree could not go back to work full time in the district but could find full time work in one of the other school districts in the state. Thinking that she'd have no problem finding something else (she didn't want to go back to the classroom, but was pretty open to pretty much everything else), she accepted the retirement package. Well, guess what?

I can assure you that your wife is not alone in her frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: