Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,018 times

Advertisements

I'm not white, I'm not LDS, and I'm not Hispanic. Even though I stick out of the crowd in my junior high school, being very tan and from the Philippines, because there are not a lot of Asians there and those who are, have very white skin. They treat me nicely and I've made a lot of friends there. Most of them, especially my best friend, are LDS. I don't think it would be much of a difference if most of my friends were Catholics, like me, because it doesn't really matter what religion you are, as long as you don't hate each other. So I don't think there really are racists in Utah, just maybe stereotypists.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 42,956 times
FiliPinoy92,

I'm glad to hear you haven't had problems. I have a sister-in-law who is Black/American Indian American (very light-skinned) and was married to a Filipino/Mexican/Yaki Indian American (dark-skinned) and they had HUGE problems... or at least, they perceived problems. They actually attended an Islander ward in Provo to feel more comfortable. I think a lot of it may have been her "fears" or "insecurities", tho, not necessarily the way they were treated. They moved up from California and there, they blended in... here they stood out. They are divorced now and she is remarried and seems exceptionally happy... he and some of the kids seem to be struggling. Again, tho, I think it's their perceptions and not any obvious prejudice... altho, I do see a little in my neighborhood. So sad. We are all brothers and sisters.

"Why can't we all just get along?"

Kathy in truly "pleasant" Pleasant Grove

Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,606 times
Default Racism in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy@Tacoma
Salt Lake City is home to the largest hispanic population in the state... approximately 20%. As for small towns, I cant say... I guess theyd be like most small towns. Friendly to outsiders.... as long as you stay an outsider... meaning they dont want you moving in... but like I said... I cant really say much about Utah's small towns...
Well, I guess we now see who the racist is!

How dare you speak for the people in small towns and stereotype them. I live in a small town (Morgan), and do not appreciate you speaking for me. I personally do not care what race or nationality anybody is that moved into my town.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 PM

17 posts, read 29,622 times
Frlane, if he doesn't say it, I will. I have lived in Utah and I have lived in small towns. Towns as small as 40-50 people and as big as 250,000. He's right. That's the attitude a number of small towns have.

They say "small towns are like that" and that's a lie. It's each individual town. All small towns are different, but they have their simularities. When they use the excuse of "small towns are like that", I laugh, because my hometown was only 120 when I lived there. Not 1,200. Not 1,200,000. One hundred and twenty. And there people respected other people's privacy. Mormons as a whole have a huge problem with that. And yes, privacy and racism do indeed go hand in hand.

The problem is because they are insecure. Someone new comes to town. Who is he? What does he do? We know nothing about him. They become insecure because they just don't know. So they poke and prod and try to learn more. They do not realize that if he (of she) is to give up his (or her) privacy, they should as well.

People in small towns are nosy, they are racist, and quite frankly they are worse than people in the cities because you're around them more. In the city, you are faced with different conditions, housing and interpersonal. In small towns, it's a tighter community.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM

378 posts, read 1,905,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frlane
Well, I guess we now see who the racist is!

How dare you speak for the people in small towns and stereotype them. I live in a small town (Morgan), and do not appreciate you speaking for me. I personally do not care what race or nationality anybody is that moved into my town.
Haha frlane I never thought Morgan was a small town. There are plenty of new homes going up in your area so it's getting bigger and more diverse. When I think small town I think Blanding and Monticello.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 29,622 times
When I think small town, I think of Hinckley, Bluff, or Mexican Hat.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,597 times
NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it. Unless of course you like being the only dark skinned person in a fifty mile radius. Unless of course you like being stared at EVERYWHERE you go. Unless you like being treated like you're inferior somehow. Unless you like asswipes every five seconds asking you where you're from and what race you are so they can immediately place you in a stereotyped preconceived category. Unless you like morons trying to talk to you in Spanish and insulting you by not even speaking it right. Unless of course you like scary white people watching your every move. Unless you like going to wal-mart and knowing all the cameras are trained on you. Unless you like going to a gas station to buy a soda and being stared at moronically because the people have never seen a dark person before. Unless you like racial stereotypes. Unless you like racism. Unless you like the highest percentage of neo nazi skinheads from Idaho who moved to utah for your discriminatory pleasure. And finally. . .unless you're an idiot. Then by all means, move to Utah!

Don't worry, I've moved here from California and that was the biggest mistake of my life.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysgomez
NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it. Unless of course you like being the only dark skinned person in a fifty mile radius. Unless of course you like being stared at EVERYWHERE you go. Unless you like being treated like you're inferior somehow. Unless you like asswipes every five seconds asking you where you're from and what race you are so they can immediately place you in a stereotyped preconceived category. Unless you like morons trying to talk to you in Spanish and insulting you by not even speaking it right. Unless of course you like scary white people watching your every move. Unless you like going to wal-mart and knowing all the cameras are trained on you. Unless you like going to a gas station to buy a soda and being stared at moronically because the people have never seen a dark person before. Unless you like racial stereotypes. Unless you like racism. Unless you like the highest percentage of neo nazi skinheads from Idaho who moved to utah for your discriminatory pleasure. And finally. . .unless you're an idiot. Then by all means, move to Utah!

Don't worry, I've moved here from California and that was the biggest mistake of my life.
whoa!!

You're really serious? You actually feel that's what was/is happening? And I had no idea that neo-n azis were that prevalent in Utah.

Whew! Well, we learn something everyday.

--'rocco

Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 AM

11 posts, read 48,874 times
This is a older post, but I'll comment anyway, I was born and raised for the most part in utah, fifteen, twenty years ago even the whites that were not mormon were out cast. Lots has changed, I live in the richfield area and we have many hispanics here, as well as blacks, The people here are great, you dont feel like they are looking their nose down at you for the most part. Just some of the OLD people can do that once in a while. Never thought it would change, hated going to school here, but its so much better now.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:58 AM

9 posts, read 64,645 times
I'm Mormon and my sister-inlaw is Hispanic and my brother-inlaw who is also a Mormon has adopted 2 beautiful bi-racial children. I suspect you may run into some racist people, but not any more than any other state. I haven't seen any KKK or skin-heads around. When I lived in New Mexico however, we had some skin-heads move next door to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah