U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 AM

9,594 posts, read 5,176,198 times
What about race relations/social aspect in Utah? Is it a lot like Northern Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM

73 posts, read 103,189 times
Thank you everyone for your input! We absolutely loved the natural beauty in Utah and the proximity to skiing, national parks, lakes, and Las Vegas. We also thought St. George was a pretty little city; and SLC was quite a bit larger than I had previously imagined. Taking a dip in the Salt Lake was a very surreal experience.

Our biggest hurdles now are determining how welcome my wife would be being Chinese/Thai... we didn't seem to see much diversity in SLC; which is one of our issues with Colorado Springs as well. And, of course, finding jobs. Housing must also be somewhat reasonable in whatever area we end up in.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM

3,401 posts, read 4,735,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMZ View Post
Our biggest hurdles now are determining how welcome my wife would be being Chinese/Thai... we didn't seem to see much diversity in SLC; which is one of our issues with Colorado Springs as well.
Our neighbour is Asian. From where exactly, I really do not know, nor do I care.
She is the veggies and herbs provider for the whole neighbourhood here ..
Missus Green Thumb she truly is !!!
What I do know is that she has umpteen Asian friends who are always over their house !!!
Somewhere in the SLC area, they must be hanging out, no ????

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 PM

6,521 posts, read 4,254,880 times
Hi Mitch,

I saw a Chinese Market called Super China Market, it was next to the state wine store in Sandy. The parking lot was full of Asians, now I don't know if that was the whole Asian community of SLC or what but I saw a lot. :-)

I also found this list of Chinese Restaurants, of course this is no indication that they are Chinese run but it is a start.

I have only been to the SLC area 3 times (moving there next week) but every time I have seen people of races other than white, I noticed that everyone seemed friendly to everyone.

It seems like a great place, Iíll find out for sure soon.

Good luck. Check out www.daybreakutah.com this is where we are moving.
Hilgi

Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 AM

76 posts, read 150,472 times
Quote:
Our biggest hurdles now are determining how welcome my wife would be being Chinese/Thai... we didn't seem to see much diversity in SLC...
I can't speak to the number of Chinese/Thai people in the Salt Lake Valley, but they do seem to be here in decent numbers and have associations, activities, and a few temples and congregations. There is a yearly Asian Festival that brings all the different ethnic groups together, and there are some Asian grocery stores. Here's a link to the information page for the last Asian Festival held in June of this year: About Us

Here's a great link from the Utah Office of Ethnic Affairs listing all the asian organizations in Utah: ethnicoffice.utah.gov/documents/asian.cbo.list0805.pdf

Old 08-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Thank you very much again, Salt Lake City seems more charming every time we think about living there! It will be between Denver, Colorado Springs, and SLC so we will see what the job market is like in each of those areas before we are ready to move!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM

6,521 posts, read 4,254,880 times
Quote:
Thank you very much again, Salt Lake City seems more charming every time we think about living there! It will be between Denver, Colorado Springs, and SLC so we will see what the job market is like in each of those areas before we are ready to move!
Hi Mitch,

Here are a couple factors I used to decide on Utah as opposed to CO.

Take a look at the age demographics. Denver has a younger peak age but a big drop off in kids. Kids are what cause people to spend money, spending money helps the economy. Co Springs has a little older peak age but their drop off in kids is not as high.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Colorado.html

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Colorado.html

SLC has a very young peak age and some of the burbs have more kids then adults. This will help the economy now and help Real Estate in a few years.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...City-Utah.html

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...rdan-Utah.html

The SLC are has been gaining a lot of migration from other states over the last three years, this trend should help also.

Hilgi

Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM

48 posts, read 124,831 times
I think Salt Lake City could be a good fit for the two of you. As other responders have suggested the Salt Lake Valley area rather than Provo is probably a better choice for you. I don't believe there is any religious discrimination in job hiring. Some people have complained about feeling isolated in terms of making friends and getting along with the neighbors but that has not been my experience personally. Even though my husband and I are not members of the LDS church we get along well with all our neighbors and are regularly invited to BBQ's and other functions with our LDS neighbors. I think the the main thing is to be open, friendly and respectful of their beliefs even if you don't share them.

As for the outdoor activities we love it here. I'm originally from a sub-tropical part of Australia (beaches, palm trees, warm winters) so SLC is very "different" but it has so much to offer. I never get tired of just looking at the mountains (and you can pretty much get a mountain view no matter where you live here). My husband is a very keen mountain biker and there are some great trails here and in nearby Park City. We both love hiking and there are countless trails in the mountains that offer wonderful views, great wildflowers, alpine lakes, deer, moose and other wildlife. (There's even a lake between Mill Creek Canyon and Big Cottonwood Canyon called Dog Lake that is not part of the Salt Lake water catchment and so allows dog owners a place to hike with their dogs and let them swim.) In the winter those same mountains offer skiing/boarding and snowshoeing, so we never run out of things to do. Skiing is an expensive sport but we have found that there are some pretty good deals if you can come up with some money pre-season. Brighton offer a book of 10 coupons for $390 that you can use any day of the week any time during the ski season, fully transferable so you can use them 2 at a time if you ski together. Solitude offer a custom season pass where you pick one day a week e.g. Friday and you can ski that day every week all season long at a much cheaper price than a full season pass. The Canyons in Park City offer coupon books and locals "Cherry Picker" passes where you can ski on 5 days of your choosing for the season for $200 (that's a $40 lift ticket instead of the usual $76), they also offer an Adult mid-week full season pass (ski everyday except Saturday) for $649. You'll also find that most of the ski rental shops (and some supermarkets) in SLC offer a small discount off the regular lift ticket price at all the local resorts if you purchase them there before you head up to the resort (typically $5 off, but up to $20 off the resorts in Park City). Still not a cheap sport, but there are ways to make it more affordable.

As for housing, you'll find it tough to get a house under $200K but certainly should find plenty of options with townhomes. The biggest obstacle in my mind for you would be moving somewhere before you have found a job and are certain of an income. Of course it is a bit easier job hunting (and you may be more likely to get an interview) if you are living locally rather than with an out-of-state address.

I hope you enjoy your visit this Summer. If you have time for a big hike I would definitely recommend Dog Lake (from the end of Mill Creek Canyon) and/or Brighton Lakes at the end of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 PM

My wife actually sent me an email this week from Thailand and said she saw an advertisement for skiing in Utah in the Tokyo Airport. I thought that was pretty cool. And, it speaks volumes about the quality of the snow in Utah!

Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM

95 posts, read 57,729 times
I went to Utah, grant it I was only 19 and I could have handled things better. But I ended up having to flip a Mormon onto his back-this is supposedly a sacriligious act. He was the one who picked a fight with me, but as a 30 yr old I now realize I didnt have to react the way I did. But I swear he looked just Like a turtle lying there. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah