U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2009, 03:53 AM

419 posts, read 755,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Shinedown,

My personal feeling is that if you come to Utah State University without any chip on your shoulder, you'll do just fine. USU attracts a fairly diverse studentbody although students from Northern Utah/Southern Idaho are heavily represented. Its true a high percentage of the studentbody is LDS, but there will be plenty who are not. And, I think you'll find many of the LDS students will be particularly tolerant.

I wouldn't say coffee drinking is a sin to good Mormons, although there is something many of us try to follow called the "Word of Wisdom" its contained in our Doctrine and Covenants and tells us to avoid hot drinks or "tea and coffee". I'd say coffee drinking is not a sin, but simply advice to help maintain good health. Its personally too hard on my stomach for me to drink it, but it doesn't bother most others.

Now, the surrounding community for USU is the city of Logan. This is a city of perhaps 40,000 people with a metro area of about 100,000. The city and surrounding county are socially conservative areas and a certain dichotomy or division exists with the University (which is seen as more "liberal")

Bottomline: I think you could get a great education at USU, enjoy yourself, and find a group to be accepted within. If you are looking for a place to make your permanent home after school is completed, you'll probably find Logan/Cache County too small, conservative, and a bit stifling.
48,500 and 125,000 to be more accurate.

I'm a USU grad and currently still live in Logan. Though it's predominately LDS, there's a fair amount of diversity, especially stemming from the University and the different people it brings in. There's many different nationalities and political beliefs among the body there. I'm sure you'd find people you fit in with. For instance, there's multiple cafe's located on campus alone where people love to get coffee. One place is Cafe Ibis, which is an extension of its downtown location.

The conservative nature of Logan more stems from the fact of it still being a smaller area, and having rural / agriculture roots. That changes more each year as the population continues to increase (the Logan Metro was the 9th fastest growing metro in America for the last Census estimate) Though the city of Logan itself is quite developed and urban, the surrounding valley has lots of farmland.

Anyway, it's a really beautiful area with lots of recreation and located right next to the mountains, with Logan Canyon being the popular destination.

If you have other questions about the area feel free to ask.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM

36 posts, read 69,146 times
Listen, I work with 75% mormons and I have my coffee every morning...I even drink it in front of them. They don't care what you do. It's their thing and let it be their thing. They are loving, accepting folk. But I have noticed that they can stretch the truth a lot or even out right lie. It's a weird thing! Come to Utah, have an amazing experience at college and keep on drinking your cappucino's.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah