U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM

121 posts, read 338,621 times
Default The Eagles Nest above Bridal Veils

I was looking at Google Earth for a road when I decided to click on a photo. The title being "standing on the roof of the eagle's nest" It shows a picture taken looking down to the Bridal Falls parking lot. A comment of the photo says "What a unique perspective to have taken this photo from, considering that the restaurant/dance hall you were standing on is no longer there! Great photo!"
Huh? There was a restaurant up there? It's a really high dizzying platform and I can't imagine how anybody got up there short of using a helicopter.
Has anyone heard of this place? And how did one get up there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM

24 posts, read 21,702 times
I've been going up Provo Canyon for some years now and typically stop just to take a look at the falls and the lower section of the Provo River. I didn't know there was a trail head until last year. We saw a dad with a couple of small children climbing a very narrow and steep switchback. So There is a trail head on the other side of the river. I looked at the picture you where talking about on Google Earth, what a picture and what a hike. Couldn't believe my eyes when we saw the kids on the trail looks like a extreme hike. The trail is hard to see and I probably would have missed it had there not been people walking it. The cables are for the trolleys to get there and back or you can hike. Per the guy that took the photo the place burnt down last year and the cables are gone. We haven't been up this year. Planning to go in late September. Now I have another reason to stop and take a look.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 PM

6,570 posts, read 4,968,894 times
I'm not sure exactly when the restaurant closed. Yes, there was a restaurant on the cliff-side high above canyon floor. There used to be large buildings at the bottom and a tramline to the restaurant up top. It was a tourist resort of sorts, but it was also once a popular place to take a date on the weekends, too. This would have been in the 80's and before. Somewhere along the line, the restaurant closed. IIRC, it was then used as a weekend 'dance club' for a time. Then that closed. A few years back there was a huge avalanche that wiped the buildings at the bottom out and the tram-house. Then there was a fire that took what was left.

But, yes, I remember it from my high school days in the late 70's early 80's. My family had moved from the bay area of California to Utah and I remember being fascinated with the restaurant on that high, precarious perch. Pretty scary actually!

I also remember my dad talking about a construction accident when they were building that restaurant. From what I remember being told, a bulldozer actually fell from the cliff up there. I guess it had been taken by helicopter up there to clear the pad for the restaurant and got too close to the edge. I can’t confirm this story though, it’s only something I had been told, and I’m too lazy to research it!

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: speeling misteak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: