Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM

58 posts, read 241,095 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on what is is like to live in Heber? We are from Vegas and my husband has job offer in New Hampshire and Heber City. It really will depend on quality of life, schools, life for teenagers, ect. We are researching both places. Thank u!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,234 times
I have 2 friends that live there-and have for at least 2 years. Both are trying to escape and have been trying to get out for a while. Neither can get the houses sold. They do not like the "vibe" and tell me that it is way to conservative and they have both enrolled the kids in Park City schools. The only way that that gets to happen is that they either teach in PC or their spouses do!
Both friends are not what I would call flaming liberals-moved here from Minn and Mich. The biggest complaint that I hear from them is that they feel like outsiders as they are not LDS.
Not much shopping in Heber either-I think that the Walmart is on hold, there are 2 grocery stores, a few fun clothes stores, a nice yoga studio. Salt Lake City/Provo are where you will find the malls, costco/sams etc. Both about 45 minutes away.
I do know that there are lots of homes for sale in Heber!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
I’ve been through there many, many times in all seasons (I live in Utah Valley) over the years. Pretty place. It’s a nice little mountain valley town if you want the ‘quiet life.’ It’s certainly out of the worsening mess in the lower valleys, but it has been growing a lot over the past 20 years and will probably catch up sooner or later. Property values are inflated. It’s fairly close to Park City (over the hill), so a bit of the astronomical prices from there spills over. It’s always had a reputation as a bit ‘uppity’ and exclusive by many Provo/Utah Valley residents.

As for the climate: it is cooler year-round on average compared to Utah Valley/Salt Lake Valley due to the higher elevation. It’s a bit more ‘alpine’ climatically. The winters are significantly colder and there is significantly more snow much of the time. In fact, winter nights can be downright frigid (often single digits).

Personally, I would far prefer to live in Heber or the surrounding area than in lower valleys (Provo, Salt Lake, Tooele, Ogden, etc). As I said it’s a bit more rural in Heber. That would be a draw for me along with the cooler temps. But, I’m actually planning a move out of state, and I could never afford Heber anyway.

As for the religion/LDS thing: I haven't noticed it any more than anywhere else around here... but, then, I'm biased. As a musician, I perform in the local Heber tavern/club at least one weekend a month, so I wouldn't expect to see a lot of mormons in there! Lol

Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 AM

25 posts, read 100,935 times
Default Heber City

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhadley View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what is is like to live in Heber? We are from Vegas and my husband has job offer in New Hampshire and Heber City. It really will depend on quality of life, schools, life for teenagers, ect. We are researching both places. Thank u!
I live in Midway, a town about five miles NW of Heber City. I like it here it is small rural with any kind of recreational pursuit summer or winter. It is about ten miles south of the resort town of Park City. It is located in a large alpine valley (elev. 5600 ft /msl) both north and south of the town exists lakes for boating and fishing. There are excellent home purchase opportunities here due to the real estate downturn with many new houses and condos that have never been occupied.

A new high school opened this year and recreation for teens should be excellent.

I have never been to New Hampshire but have visitede many places in the east and never felt I left something I needed to return for.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,601 times
My stepmom lived in Heber, but it was many years ago. She loved it there, and loved the friendliness of the people. I would personally like how close Heber is to Park City, because it is my family's absolute favorite place in Utah. It's a bit more of a rural area, so it all depends on what you're looking for. If you husband is working in Heber, it wouldn't be a stretch to live in Park City and there is definitely plenty to keep you busy there, but you will pay significantly more for housing than you would in other parts of Utah.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 15,449 times
Default Restaurant

I am looking to start a restaurant. Either a small, quiet Italian Restaurant or an upscale Steakhouse. I wanted to get anyones opinion. The menu would feature local produce and meats from the surrounding area to support the farmers and growers. I noticed that Heber doesn't have a real upscale restaurant that is moderatley priced and serves fresh, local food. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,234 times
Snake Creek Grill-I think it is technically in Heber-is pretty upscale and uses lots of local products. If you get a chance, check them out and see what they offer. There are some nice places in Midway-which is right next to Heber, I would check those out also to see what you will be up against. Park City has about 4 good places for steak and they will also be competition unless you can lower the prices.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 PM

97 posts, read 220,208 times
Unfortunately, local produce is not what it could be. I know, cause I grow.
But with a 120 day growing season, what would you do for the rest of the year.

Heber folks, for the most part, don't care 'bout upscale, unless it's in their paychex.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 28,702 times
How are the people in Heber and Midway? If you haven't grown up there are they the welcoming sort? How are the teenagers? Are they on the friendly or snobby side? We want to relocate, and think it is a great place. We have vacationed there several summers and love to snow ski. I just can't take our kids to a place that won't include them. It is hard to relocate at a teenager. Does anyone have experience with relocating teenager to Heber?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Snake Creek Grill-I think it is technically in Heber-is pretty upscale and uses lots of local products. If you get a chance, check them out and see what they offer. There are some nice places in Midway-which is right next to Heber, I would check those out also to see what you will be up against. Park City has about 4 good places for steak and they will also be competition unless you can lower the prices.
I have checked out Snake Creek Grill. Not impressed. Although the location is great. Not a lot of flavor in the food and too many things going on on the plate. What I am looking to do is a simple but upscale restaurant that focuses on fresh food, great service that the locals can call their own. The menu would be very seasonal.....changing every month, along with the wine list. The total bill for Snake Creek for 3 courses was $42 per person. I would want to offer 3 courses for $28-30 per person. Thanks for the imput.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah