Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,157 times

Advertisements

I have found Utah to be not particularly friendly and I am LDS. We have LDS neighbors who don't let their children play with most of the children in the neighborhood, whether they are LDS or not.
I personally wouldn't think of living in Utah county. Much too Mormon. They all seem to dress the same, decorate their houses the same, and drive the same cars. I prefer SLC where at least there is some diversity. I have no problem with blacks or Mexicans. I just can't stand anybody who is lazy, no matter what their skin color (inc. white)!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,993 times
I am from South Sacramento and I have lived in many different states along the western half of the US. I have found that many people who have never left this state talk it down a lot. However once they move to a different state they want to come back here. Besides where else can you buy a two bed two bath house for $13,000.00 out the door and on a 1/3rd acre too. American Fork has grown a lot in the last few years so there is a good mix of people in A.F. I think you will like it very much and I do know Portland it will be a little different because it's not quite as green as Portland but I still think you will like being there. Just to let you know where I live in Utah people come here to vacation and end up buying a house because they like the area so much. As one of the local newspapers said "The last reason to live in Utah is to be from Utah". Most Utah born are moving out while all other states are moving in. Utah is on a 200 percent yearly growth.

Last edited by amwestwood_col; 05-22-2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM

55 posts, read 136,724 times
I have been living in slc and am non-Mormon. There is a lot of discrimination, but what can you expect when the vast majority of people believe they belong to the only one true religion. That belief gives them a sense of superiority. That being said, salt lake city is improving. I would not live in American Fork unless I was a very conservative individual. I am moving to Winter Springs Fl, in less then a year!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I was watching a show on WE the other day about the lives of women in the Mormon factions that still practive plural marriage...

They made the statement that in SLC about 50% of the population is Mormon but in the outlying areas the % is not so high...

Just make sure your husband doesn't get any wild ideas...

Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 AM

7 posts, read 42,545 times
I love Utah and the people. see I'm from NYC and have had it with big city living. I want peace and quiet. Now I'm not LDS nor do I have any plans to convert to ANY religion. Once they know this they will leave my ass alone. Finally peace and quiet. My job brings me to the top 22 cities in the country every year so I don' t want to talk to anyone when I get home especially kids who thank god will stay clear of me and my girlfriend, by the way we'll be living in sin. I love the Mormos cuz they hate me!!!!Yippie peace and quiet. They will avoid me like the plague
hahahahahaha yes I'm movin in 08. Castle Valley,Moab area.
agnostic
Joe
Buddah rules!!!

Last edited by jmchzn; 05-23-2007 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 42,545 times
Also its the most beautiful state in the union. Hands down. I hope the Mormons scare everyone else away I would hate the pop to explode to point of SoCal for example. On the East Coast New Hampshire is the place to be but everyone goes to Vermont or Maine. Suckers NH is the place. NH residents love it too. The state is empty affordable,no sales tax and it's the Utah of the East Coast. sssssssssshh don't tell anyone!!! Hey Religion aside the Morms take care of their own. Get educations. Stay off drugs and booze. Ask for nothing,pay taxes ,live with conviction,seem to love life and as far as I can tell mind thier own business. What's wrong with that? I'll take that over the mess in CA,NY,AZ and FL. I'm hoping for a Morm Prez too. Probably will have more integrity than any prez in my lifetime!!!

VOTE MORMON!!!
OK I'm done
joe

Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Reading some of these posts, I almost shudder at the thoughts of being a Catholic in the Salt Lake area.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:23 PM

45 posts, read 238,230 times
Ms.New Hampshire,you must think people are ignorant when geography,topography etc. etc.are subjects of discussion.Be honest about New England and New Hampshire,please-it is so very annoying and cruel.
I will go on official record and save people in the beautiful Southwestern areas,where they are accustomed to azure blue skies,very low humidity and brilliant sunshine the trouble of flying to New England.New Hampshire,Vermont and almost all of the area is depressingly dirty,very little sunshine,jobless,homosexuals,lesbians everywhere,especially Boston and it's environs,foreigners galore,crips and bloods,thugs.Tons and Tons of heavy snow that lasts for 8 months a year-no sunshine to burn it off.Humidity is always high and so is the cost of living.
A great many wonderful people read these messages and you are purposely trying to mislead and hurt them.Tell them that unemployment is sky high and crime is unspeakably horrid.
You guys out there in Nevada,Utah etc.stay put.You do not want to have your children and parents,the elderly,having to deal with gangs.
God Bless the desert.

Last edited by cloud dweller; 05-25-2007 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Run on sentence

Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 AM

56 posts, read 213,149 times
Default Going hiking

It'll be a big change from oregon, but it sounds like you have already been here so you know that. I spent at least 2-3 days a week in AF during the summer and if I could afford to buy a house in Alpine (which is near AF) I would in a heartbeat its ssoo beautiful. Its defenetly one of those areas like many others in this state that is getting WAY OVER developed and thats very depressing. Urban sprawl all over the place.
I am affraid that you will find it rare around here that people care about their environment which is so sad because Utah is so amazing. We are also going into a drought, we had a very LOW snow pack this past year. We won't have any clean water to drink and the lawns will be green. I hang out with a ton of climbers and skiiers and you don't realize how bad it is unless you really open your eyes to the everyday public. This forum for example ......I posted some facts about global warming and ways to help and I got a backlashing. I don't know what the deal is around here, but people in utah do not want to be inconvenienced. (I personally do the recycling for my bank, I asked them to recycle and they said "we shred our paper!" .....yeah exactly... Thats not recycling , so now they give it to me hahahaha.)
You'll have a ton to do in that area though. TONS of climbing in that canyon, Lone peak is a great hike and the climbing is excellent, you could ski Timp ect.... Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
They made the statement that in SLC about 50% of the population is Mormon but in the outlying areas the % is not so high...QUOTE]
I believe it's actually the opposite in that the outlying areas have a higher % than SLC, which is, I believe around 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah