Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 13,567 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I don't hate Utah and I never said I did. We are talking about Logan.

What I do dislike about Utah are the overabundance of condescending and self righteous people living here. It's always the same response with them, "If you don't like it then leave!" or some variation of that. Moderator cut: orphaned and rude
To the OP, I'm only trying to help you from making a decision you'll regret. People keep telling you how wonderful Logan is and how great everything is going to be for you here; I'm just giving you the other side of the story.

You can see from the responses in this thread how Utahns react when you have a different opinion than them. They want you to leave. They want one big happy state of people that all think the exact same way. It's almost a little creepy.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-22-2009 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Moderator cut: orphaned part of poast
BTW, I have lived here 3 months and love it more than I thought I would.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-22-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,567 times
Moderator cut: can't discuss moderator actions on forum
To the OP, by all means move to Logan! You'll love it here! Your kids will feel right at home among all the accepting and kind LDS families in the valley! Sunshine and gumdrops and puppies breath!! WEE!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-22-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
To the OP, by all means move to Logan! You'll love it here! Your kids will feel right at home among all the accepting and kind LDS families in the valley! Sunshine and gumdrops and puppies breath!! WEE!!![/quote]

I feel your pain, I have been censored before. It isn't about alternative views BTW.

But I am happy to see you are on board with the crowd now. :-)

Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 AM

139 posts, read 501,769 times
Default wow....your post is ironic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
For what it's worth, I don't hate Utah and I never said I did. We are talking about Logan.

What I do dislike about Utah are the overabundance of condescending and self righteous people living here. It's always the same response with them, "If you don't like it then leave!" or some variation of that. Moderator cut: orphaned quote
To the OP, I'm only trying to help you from making a decision you'll regret. People keep telling you how wonderful Logan is and how great everything is going to be for you here; I'm just giving you the other side of the story.

You can see from the responses in this thread how Utahns react when you have a different opinion than them. They want you to leave. They want one big happy state of people that all think the exact same way. It's almost a little creepy.
You complain about the responses in this thread to how Utahns react when they have a different opinion....yet that's exactly what you've done. Some here disagree with you, and you, being a Utahn lash out at anyone who doesn't share you opinion. Ironic don't you think?

From the posts on here, it looks like most people don't share the same problems you have experienced. Is it a utopia? Hardly...but then again, no one on here has claimed that it is. Good luck at USU, and good luck finding your own personal utopia, obviously, it's not Logan!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-22-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,034 times
A lot of people like to comment on Logan having never lived there. In fact, most Utahan's outside of the area never even visit or have seen it. That's one of the nice things about it - it's big enough, yet not as congested and sprawled as most other areas. There's no freeways, there's open land and great mountains, trails, canyons, etc. There's a good mixture of everything.

I live in Logan right now and have for a while. I really like it as do most people who live here. It was the 9th fastest growing metro in America last year, so other people must be liking it as well. It also had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation the last time I checked, so whoever said it doesn't produce many jobs might want to clarify. It's been growing at a decent, steady rate for a while now.

Being a bit of an urbanist I'd recommend living in Logan. Plus, it's just as cheap if not cheaper house / rent wise than the small suburbs, and you're right next to everything. There's a wide mix of residential from brand new houses to 100 year old ones. I think all the schools are good, there's no bad areas. It's consistently ranked as THE safest metro in America. We had a down year this year and only made 3rd safest and people complained Air quality is supposedly bad on certain days in the winter when there's an 'inversion'. It's never bothered me, but they have a system to let you know what the air quality is like that day. There's a free-fare, extensive bus system throughout the valley. With 130,000 metro it's not the busiest place, but I dont think you'd find it 'sleepy'. Lots of cars and people out all the time. Lots of events through USU (sports, music, etc.) as well as a really cool historic downtown. LDS wise, it's pretty on par with the rest of Utah, though with having a major University you'll see more diversity and many different races and cultures (for instance, there's a decent Indian population)

Any other specific questions?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
I think if we could all take the emotion out of the pros and cons of living here in Utah we'd all be a lot better off. Just because someone doesn't like it here doesn't mean it's a personal attack against you or your choice to live here. In that same regard, just because someone else here loves it, it doesn't mean they're discounting the bad experiences you may have had here. Different places are right for different people, otherwise we'd all be crammed into one spot.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 17,815 times
Could one of you guys compare Logan to Ogden (North Ogden) for me? Downtowns, Culture, Housing, traffic, hustle & bustle, etc.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:30 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNewB View Post
Could one of you guys compare Logan to Ogden (North Ogden) for me? Downtowns, Culture, Housing, traffic, hustle & bustle, etc.
I would say the culture is more diverse in Ogden, and there probably isn't as much poverty in Logan. When I was looking at rental property throughout the state, it seemed like you got more house for the $$ in Logan, but it is an hour north of Ogden and there are less job opportunites there as one could still commute to SLC from Ogden. Look at city data's stats on individual cities

Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNewB View Post
North Ogden is a suburb of Ogden, so I'll be comparing Ogden to Logan.

Ogden is about twice as big and a bit more diverse regarding things like race and religion. It has a much more established downtown due to being a boomtown, with a lot more bars, clubs, coffee shops, etc. There is some poverty and gangs as well as bad areas.

Logan is a safer area (one of the safest in America), no gangs, little to no homeless or poverty, and has an incredibly low cost of living, and relatively no commute time. Logan has a historic downtown, though much more quaint, and without as many cool shops.

Both are growing areas, though Logan's metro is going at a little bit more rapid pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: