U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2010, 04:31 PM

29 posts, read 69,198 times
Default Tourist traps along I-80 / I-84?

We'll be making a drive from MI to OR and want to plan some stops along the way. Our route will take us along I-80 and I-84.

Anything we should stop and see? Keeping in mind we have 3 kids under 11!

Thanks!
Jen
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,376,337 times
One stop I always make is off of I-80 exit onto Hwy 93 South towards Twin Falls, ID. you go across the Snake river that has an awesome view from very high up into the chasm. You can take your first right after the bridge which has an overlook. Very impressive indeed. In Oregon there are many great things to see especially if you're headed to Portland on I-84. Multnomah Falls and much more. One of my favorite routes....

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

3,335 posts, read 4,580,313 times
Once thru Idaho, you can take two routes towards Oregon.
A southern route, and a northern route (I-84).
The one on the north end is the nice one, the one you are taking (goes past the river).

The one on the south end is the one you should take if you only want to see the yellow line change from broken to solid and back again ...,
and everything else looks the same ....
especially when you get stuck behind a truck....
This route is only nice past Bend, OR.
We were going to Eugene and were in a hurry ... Never again !!!!

Many places you can stop and take a break. I second the choice from Dcisive.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Oh you must have taken good old Hwy 20 across the Oregon high desert. I made that mistake only ONCE. I agree it is boring as heck and dry as all getout. Not a hospitable place. Indeed once you get to Bend it's super from there. I'd stick to 84 and enjoy.........

Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 AM

376 posts, read 853,168 times
Personally, I think Temple Square is a nice place to stop for an hour or two. Tuesday and Thursday nights I think are the Tabernacle Choir practices which I believe are sometimes if not allways open to the public. The LDS Art and History Museum on the west side of Temple Square is very nice and they have a kids area. Also, the Conference Center tour is ok, plus, it's only 45 minutes.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 AM

4,347 posts, read 3,356,172 times
We'll be making a drive from MI to OR and want to plan some stops along the way. Our route will take us along I-80 and I-84.

Anything we should stop and see? Keeping in mind we have 3 kids under 11!

Thanks!
Jen
.................................................. .........................................

You know, its my observation as a long time resident of Utah that most of what is scenic in this state unfortunately is not close to any freeway. I have a couple of recommendations for you, but they may not appeal to your family.

The first thing you need to do is make a decision. I-80 and I-84 have a junction inside Utah. If you take I-80, you'll go south through Salt Lake. If you stay on I-84, at this point, you'll miss Salt Lake, but travel through Weber Canyon towards Ogden instead.

I-84 will take you down Weber Canyon. The trip through the canyon is fairly scenic. However, if you go this route you don't go through Salt Lake City. You'll miss temple square and any of the stuff in Salt Lake if you go this route. However assuming you do, there are a couple of historical things to remember as you drive through Weber Canyon on I-84:

1. The first transcontinental railroad was built through here in 1869. You'll see freight trains as you go through because its still a major route. Its interesting to think about that though as you drive through the canyon and observe the railroad tracks, the tunnels, and the river. The Union Pacific Railroad and been laying track west from Omaha, Nebraska for about four years. Weber Canyon was one of the most significant obstacles they faced until they reached Promontory, Utah and joined the Central Pacific Railroad there for the golden spike ceremony.

In the late 1850's, President Buchanan sent the army, the cavalry, overland to Utah to "put down" what he believed was a rebellion among the Mormon people. Thus began the "Mormon War" of 1858. There is a narrow area of the canyon around Echo where sharpshooters stood on the canyon walls hollering at each other making the soldiers believe there were more people there than there really were. If you want to know where this occurred, you'd probably have to stop at the state visitor center which is right across the border after you leave Wyoming. I don't believe signs are up commemorating the event.

2. In Morgan, Utah, you could get off the freeway if its around lunchtime. Ask directions to "Larry's Spring Chicken Inn". Its a restaurant that serves good chicken at an affordable price.

3. You'll follow I-84 until it connects with I-15. Than, I-15 and 84 are one road north to about the Idaho border. At Willard (which is about ten miles north of Ogden) you have an option. You can stay on the freeway, or get off the freeway and take a drive through what is called "Utah's Fruitway" on Highway 89. The best time to do this is probably late spring, summer, or fall. If you do during those months, you'll see all the fruit trees with cherries, peaches, apricots etc. You'll also see plenty of fruit stands. You can stop and buy fresh fruit and vegetables, of course, if you want. In Perry (right before Brigham City), you could stop and have lunch at the Maddox Drive Inn. The girls will come up to your car and wait on you. The burgers and chicken are good. Than when you are continue down Highway 89 into Brigham City.

4. In Brigham City, drive down Main Street. You'll see the old Mormon Tabernacle Building. Its architecture makes it interesting to see. If you still haven't eaten lunch and want too, you could stop and eat at the Idle Aisle Cafe on Main Street (north part of town).

5. I'd get back on the freeway at this point. The signs will direct you. Eight miles north of Brigham City, you'll get to Honeyville, Utah. There is something here called "Crystal Hot Springs". For $6 a piece you can all take a dip in the natural hot springs water if you wish. The facilities are older though and some people might be turned off by the degree of wear and tear. Its all a question of how much you like the idea of taking a dip in the hot springs.

That's about what I could suggest. If you have lots of spare time on your hands you could make a sidetrip north of Brigham City to Corinne, Utah and than onto to Promontory where there you'll find the Golden Spike National Monument which I alluded to earlier. Its famous because its the point where the first transcontinental railroad was completed back in May 1869. Its worth seeing, particularly if they reenact the Golden Spike Ceremony, but it does take you out of your way a bit.

Travel safe and enjoy. Hopefully some day you can come back to Utah and visit one of our five national parks down south.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM

MarkG is right on. Those were some great suggestions (especially the fried chicken place). I'd avoid Salt Lake City altogether and enjoy the lessor traffic on the trip. That drive through the canyon along I-84 is a MUCH nicer way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah