Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,440 times

Advertisements

In which place would you rather live and why? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 AM

139 posts, read 501,501 times
Default I'll take Provo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post

Everything is subjective when you start throwing out opinions, however, I prefer all the outdoor recreation options that Provo has. I prefer green mountains and alpine options vs. brown landscapes and deserts.

Provo is a more liveable city....lower crime and a nicer vibe than Tucson has outside of the U of A area, overall cheaper cost of living, and you have access to some of the best hiking, skiing, fly fishing, camping, etc...in the country. Hands down for me, Provo (or anywhere on the I-15 corridor) than Tucson.

Of course, in January, when it's 15 degrees and the air is so thick you can chew it in Utah Valley, Tucson does have it's appeal!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 AM

noted, thanks!

i read that the air quality really plummets in mid winter in Utah... maybe tucson would be a good option for winter vacation LoL

the safety and outdoors really appeal to me. i was all set on Tucson, but while i'm sitting here waiting for our move in the fall, i'm still wondering if i should continue looking at Utah as well. i hear that it's really family friendly, and i've got a big one.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,428 times
From someone who lived in Provo for 18 years, and now lives an hour and a half away from Tucson....I'd probably pick Provo!

There is so much to do outdoors in Provo. I miss the Provo Canyon bike trail more than anything! You can't find that in Tucson!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 AM

does anyone have any opinions on this article?

Toxic Utah: Paying the price | Deseret News

Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times

.................................................. .................................................

I think the article exaggerates. Most of us do wish that Energy Waste Solutions (the place in the desert near Tooele that accepts nuclear waste) would shut down. However, my motives for it shutting down have less to with the harm its doing than the reputation of tolerating a nuclear waste dump gives the state. I think its bad for tourism. I think its bad for attracting people to live anywhere in the area. I find the way this outfit has bribed legislators into allowing it to do business absolutely disgusting.

Air pollution in the winter along the Wasatch Front is truly a major health concern. More needs to be done about it and the pressure to do something will continue to increase.

I don't think though that Utah is "contaminated" by toxic waste.

Here are some realities:

1. Utah has the second longest life expectancy in the country (just behind Hawaii)
2. Utah has one of the lowest rates of cancer in the USA (primarily because of infrequency of the useage of tobacco and alcohol)
3. Much of what the article talks about (atomic testing, etc.) occurred in the past. Some harm was done to people than, but there is no evidence anyone is still being harmed by it.

Some people believe things like eating "organic" food will add ten years to their lives, that MMR vaccinations cause autism, or that the key to good health is taking vitamins daily. These theories have very little scientific proof to back them up. It doesn't keep people from claiming they do though. I think its the same thing with these "toxic waste" issues. Its easy to make allegations--it doesn't make them true.

Compared to virtually any other state this is a healthy place to live and work. You want to see some ugly numbers? Compare life expectancy and cancer rates in Utah with our neighboring state of Nevada. Than you'll get a real idea what "unhealthy" means.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
That's a tough one. I'd pick Provo though. I cannot handle the summer heat of Tuscon. Plus I love having the skiing and alpine mountains so close by. But the ultra conservative make up of Provo would be difficult.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM

99 posts, read 250,459 times
Quote:

Much to do about nothing to be honest with you. I grew up in Utah and that's all ancient past, and it's nothing to be concerned about.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM

99 posts, read 250,459 times
Quote:
I think I would chose Provo, but that's just me. I grew up between SLC and Provo, so that's probably why . My sister lives in Pheonix, AZ and it is absolutely miserable in the summer time. 110 degree weather is not for me. You won't want to do much hiking or biking in heat like that. And the the truth is a lot of people don't do much out doors activities like that in the summer down in Tucson/Phoenix; just too hot. However, the winters are very nice and that's definately a plus.

Last edited by fittj; 03-09-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 AM

111 posts, read 375,594 times
If the job market wasn't an issue, I would choose Tucson in a heartbeat. My wife is from there, and I just love it. I don't like the Mormon bubble that is Utah County and I despise the winters after living in Tucson for a year and a half. If you've never lived in Utah, Provo can be a culture shock.
My family and I are trying to get back down there, or at least to Phoenix where the job market outlook is a lot stronger.
Whoever said that the cost of living in Provo is less than Tucson, where did you get your data? I spent a lot less money in Tucson than Provo. The problem with Tucson is that the city council is not very growth or business friendly, so companies won't make their way down there. The job market is very limited because of this.
Again, I would much rather live in beautifully warm Tucson than than the dreary bubble of Utah County.

P.S. Please know that my dislike of Utah county is just an opinion; there are people who really like living there, I'm just not one of them. So, people please don't post "I'm offended" responses just because I'm a Mormon who doesn't like Utah county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: