Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 PM

11 posts, read 27,904 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I currently live in Orange County CA and would like to move to Utah within the next 12 months. We are waiting that long because we would like to do more research on the different Utah cities, come and visit the areas we are interested in, and save up the money for our move. I’m 25 and my husband is 30. My husband has a regular retail job right now (because good high paying jobs are very hard to find here right now) but he does have a degree in Information Security Systems (which is computer stuff). I have a good job as an Advertising Consultant. Its good money but I hate it. I want to start classes for a degree and get a job doing something different. I currently don’t have a degree in anything but I have lots of work experience in retail management. My husband and I want to start with a nice apartment but would like to buy a house eventually in Utah in a suburban area (where it’s safest). We are looking for an area to move to that is city (so there will be good jobs) but still suburban (so the apartments and houses will be nice and safe) and also has community schools for me. We don’t have children so we don’t need to be in a family area. I know the weather is very different there but if at all possible I would like a place that doesn’t have too drastic heat or snow. Like between 30 degrees and 85 degrees would be ok. Here in CA we are used to the perfect 72 degrees. We really don’t want to be in 10 degree or 100 degree weather. Any positive feedback would be great. Please don’t send any negative comments such as telling us not to move. Some people are rude like that. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM

427 posts, read 1,301,514 times
Anywhere in the Wasatch Front should be fine. So look between Ogden and Provo. The summers typically get above 90 and winters get a bit below 30.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,805,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSquibb1985 View Post
we would like to do more research on the different Utah cities, come and visit the areas we are interested in,
How exactly would you like to do *research* on the different Utah cities ?

Visit the areas you are interested in ... ?

Unless you have visited first, how would you know what/which area(s) you would be interested in ?
What are your hobbies?
What would you like to do to relax?
Which outdoor sport/recreation things do you like ?
Do you HAVE to be close to a large *metropolis* ?

My suggestion...
Take a good two week vacation (a one week period may be too short, since you are making a life changing decision), and start from the south.
Look around, get a feel for the area, and then visit the areas you think might be a good choice, again.

Who knows, you may *discover*, that there is a lot of area, between St. George and Salt Lake City. Travel the *Mormon 500* (aka I-15) and stop to take a look.
You may even find that right in between are a few places that just may be the right place for you ....

Go home, talk it over and visit again.

I am sure you will find a place, that just *clicks* and that is where you should settle. You are both still young enough, to NOT look for a retirement community, so a growing new area may be a good place, no ?

Regardless of where you finally will end up, moving from Orange County, to almost anywhere in Utah, WILL be a small cultural shock.
Just a short story.
We moved from California (Santa Barbara area) to Utah (wife related to any Tom, Dick and Harry you see on the street ...), and our kids could not wait to finish their education to get out of here. I hated it here ...
Fast forward 10 years later, kids are gone, we are retired (both of us).
Fast forward 10 years again.
All the kids are now back in Utah .... go figure .... and they love it here !!!!
Me ?? I can not imagine living anywhere else !!!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 PM

25,387 posts, read 18,514,062 times
Quote:
I know the weather is very different there but if at all possible I would like a place that doesn’t have too drastic heat or snow. Like between 30 degrees and 85 degrees would be ok. Here in CA we are used to the perfect 72 degrees. We really don’t want to be in 10 degree or 100 degree weather.
You will have trouble finding the climate you want. In the area that doesn't generally get too cold (although it can at times), it is blasted hot in the summer. This is the 'dixie' region of St. George. The average temp is over 90 for four months and over 100 for July. So you'll typically get 105 - 107 during mid July. On the other hand, the average night time low in January is about 25 degrees, but in the 50's during the day.

Anywhere north or east of that will be significantly colder in the winter. In some areas there is a lot of snow, in other areas not so much--just cold. To give you an idea, SLC is on average between 22 night and 36 day in January; 65 night and 91 day in July. It does break 100 sometimes in the summer. In fact, some years quite often.

So you'll have to pick which you can live with easier, the really hot summer and not so cold winter, or the cold winter and hot summer. For the most part, Utah is a land of extreme temperatures. The only place you will find a summer monthly average high temp 85 or below is in the high mountains or higher altitudes, but you'll get very cold winters too.

For the most 'in between' climate, you might try the Richfield, Cedar City, or Blanding areas. That's about as moderate as it gets around here.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-09-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,655,279 times
Last winter in SLC, December was VERY cold. Many nights around 10 degrees - I froze.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM

835 posts, read 2,070,894 times
Line up employment before you get here and save up also as Utah is a rather low paying state. I agree with everything that Irmans sez-love it here and would cry my eyes out if we had to leave.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM

27,916 posts, read 29,770,558 times
Quote:
Hello. My husband and I currently live in Orange County CA and would like to move to Utah within the next 12 months. We are waiting that long because we would like to do more research on the different Utah cities, come and visit the areas we are interested in, and save up the money for our move. I’m 25 and my husband is 30. My husband has a regular retail job right now (because good high paying jobs are very hard to find here right now) but he does have a degree in Information Security Systems (which is computer stuff). I have a good job as an Advertising Consultant. Its good money but I hate it. I want to start classes for a degree and get a job doing something different. I currently don’t have a degree in anything but I have lots of work experience in retail management. My husband and I want to start with a nice apartment but would like to buy a house eventually in Utah in a suburban area (where it’s safest). We are looking for an area to move to that is city (so there will be good jobs) but still suburban (so the apartments and houses will be nice and safe) and also has community schools for me. We don’t have children so we don’t need to be in a family area. I know the weather is very different there but if at all possible I would like a place that doesn’t have too drastic heat or snow. Like between 30 degrees and 85 degrees would be ok. Here in CA we are used to the perfect 72 degrees. We really don’t want to be in 10 degree or 100 degree weather. Any positive feedback would be great. Please don’t send any negative comments such as telling us not to move. Some people are rude like that. Thanks for your help!
The only part of your post that set up a red flag for me was your comment about the weather. The average daytime high in Salt Lake City in January is 36 degrees. The average nighttime low for that same period is 18 degrees. The average daytime high in July is 92 degrees and the average nighttime low for that same period is 64 degrees.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 27,904 times
I appreciate all of the input. I think the weather will be the hardest part to get used to and my husband and I are aware of that. Orange County CA has almost perfect weather but thats why you get to pay an arm and a leg just to survive here. Im a little afraid of driving in the snow but I think I can get used to the cold. My electric bill here in CA is about $30 to $40 a month. Does anyone know how high my electric bill would be for having to run the air conditioning all summer or the heat in the winter? I hope it will be affordable. But I have come and visited once before and I looked at Midvale. The apartments were nice and much more affordable then CA. My husband and I dont do that much outdoor activities. I like hiking with my dog sometimes. But pretty much we work full time, spend our free time in bed with our dog watching movies, and going out on date night to the movie theater or shopping at the mall. We do like to do some down town city sort of things like rock concerts, look for old punk CDs, and get tattoos. But we are not party people. We dont go to bars and clubs to hang out and we are working responsible people. Here is what we are looking for exactly if anyone has any suggestions (and I dont know if there even is a place with all of this): close to the city (15 to 20 min drive to the city/where jobs are), close to places to eat and shopping (like 15 min drive to places like walmart and walgreens), low crime and violence area (safe), commuity college within a 30 min drive away, but nice (upscale, suburbs) apartments. We dont want to be right in the center of the city or high crime area. A 15 to 20 minute drive from jobs and shopping would be fine. We want to be in a safe area where I could go walk my dog at sunset or dark and not be attacked. We mainly want a nice apartment. A place with a fireplace, a washer and dryer inside, heat and air conditioning, and just something in a safe area thats not old and run down. I was looking at this apartment a year ago in Midvale and was all set to move in and then someone was killed there and it was on Utah news so I didnt end up going. I forget what that complex was called. Any city or apartment suggestions would be great. I hope I gave you guys all the info you need about me to help me find the right area. i

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM

25,387 posts, read 18,514,062 times
You might try any community south of Point of the Mountain--in 'Happy Valley,' aka Utah Valley. The crime stats are lower and all the niceties you mention are close by. Lot's of people slam the area for having 'nothing to do,' but if you largely 'self-entertain,' that won't be a problem. And there are plenty of movie theaters in the area and a couple of decent malls. Several colleges close by. As for rock concerts... well, you'll have to drive to SLC for the most part. So check Orem or Provo (or any of the surrounding communites).

Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 PM

27,916 posts, read 29,770,558 times
I'd stick to any of the Salt Lake City neighborhoods. Don't worry too awfully much about driving in the snow. We all had to learn to do it. Besides, the roads crews are great to keep the main thoroughfares plowed. If it's a real concern, don't move to the east benches or the high avenues. Consider Sugarhouse, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights and East Millcreek. There are also some nice westside neighborhoods, but I'm not personally as familiar with them. Personally, I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Utah County to a non-LDS family. I think it would drive you bonkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah