Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 16,514 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to the Suncrest area, does anyone live up there? If so, is it really always windy? How are the winters, driving in it and has there been any talk of landslides or things of that nature? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 05:36 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju21 View Post
My family is considering a move to the Suncrest area, does anyone live up there? If so, is it really always windy? How are the winters, driving in it and has there been any talk of landslides or things of that nature? Thanks!!
It is in the mountains, so it is windy, sometimes.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Some people at work were talking about Suncrest the other day. They were saying they wouldn't live there, because its on a mountain made of sand. But if you get a house inspection and are certain its stable, then I suppose its ok. I've heard its really windy and hard to drive up there, but have no firsthand knowledge.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:14 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,271 times
I've also heard it's always windy, but I couldn't say firsthand. However, I've driven up there, and it is a little confusing, and the roads can get tricky in the winter. I turned back one time because it was snowing and starting to drift, and I didn't feel like the road was safe.

The view is great, though. So I guess it's a tradeoff.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,861 times
One major positive is that you are above the inversion! We looked for property up there, but it is sky high now. We were looking in the 250-350K range and now they seem to be 50K higher than last year for the same houses. Since we work near the U of U it would have been a terrible drive each day. East Millcreek is awesome!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,230 times
Default Suncrest

My family and I have lived in Suncrest for over 5 years and we love it. There is more wind then in most places in the valley but it is not "always windy." There is a lot more snow then in the valley but for the most part the roads are well taken care of and the main road up the mountain is rarely a problem.
If you are someone who enjoys a little adventure and loves having the outdoors right in your backyard you will love it here. It is not for everyone but we love it.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 16,514 times
Thanks so much for all the info!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,481 times
Default Suncrest is great

We live in Suncrest and love it! Of course there are some trade-offs to living here, and it may not be for everyone, but we love it. I would say it is a bit more windy than in the valley but not bad in any respect. Most of the time it is slightly breezy, and occasionally will get windy, but anyone who says that it is "always windy" is either over exaggerating or an uninformed person talking about something they don't know anything about. (In my experience when it comes to people talking about Suncrest it tends to be the latter.)

As far as landslides go, anytime a house is built on a hillside there is a risk of that, but I would doubt that there is any more risk of it than anywhere else in the valley or along any of the benches along the east side.

When people say that Traverse Ridge is sandy I laugh. Welcome to Utah. Utah has sand. But compared to anywhere else in the valley Traverse Ridge is a rock. I have lived in Sugarhouse, East Millcreek/Holliday, Sandy, and now Suncrest. Suncrest has by far the least amount of sand amongst all the places I have lived!

The only 2 real downsides to Suncrest are the snow and the fact that the developer went bankrupt. There is definitely a lot more snow here than in the valley, but they honestly do a good job of plowing the roads. The drive isn't too bad either, and if you want to live up here then just plan on getting some good snow tires. I have heard some people say that everyone up here drives suv's or trucks that get 8 mpg blah blah blah. Nonsense. In the summer we all drive Ferrari's and in the winter we all drive Subaru's. Just kidding. But there really are a lot of Subaru's. The developer issue is a bummer but it is what it is. Eventually someone will buy it and start the development again and it will get finished, so that really isn't a big issue in my opinion.

The views are incredible, the air is clean, the people are great. I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Looks amazing up there, but how dicey is that drive up in the winter time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah