U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM

23 posts, read 42,121 times

Advertisements

Hi, I looking for the best place to live in Washington for a single straight woman in her 40s in a dog friendly environment (I have a pug). Looking for a nice community, not far from the coast and also near day hiking. I recently found out I can not eat gluten (wheat etc) so a community that understands and has options available would be great. I would love to be in a community with other singles so maybe I would have the opportunity of meeting a soulmate and a community that also has families as I enjoy the balance. I have an 80 year old mother I would also want to relocate in an assisted living facility near where I reside. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM

11,293 posts, read 18,991,954 times
What are your desires?
Weather?
drizzle 200 days / yr w/ mild winter,
or
sun / clouds but dry 200 days / yr
gardening?
hobbies?
Depression?

Services:
Medical,
Public Transportation,
culture?
Airport?
arts and craft
Educational
jobs
special needs

Vancouver / Portland / Camas would be fine for what you asked, but is a very small slice of WA.
TONS of day hiking in Columbia Gorge 15 min east Columbia gorge scenic area - Google Search

OR coast and Mt Hood / Mt St Helens / High Desert ~ 1hr away
north oregon coast - Google Search
maryhill museum - Google Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM

23 posts, read 42,121 times
Wow. You are correct. The Columbia River Gorge area sounds perfect from a weather standpoint - I googled. And I do like a nice glass of wine occasionally. Medical facilities as well as assisted living facility for my mother are needed. I do kayak occasionally (ocean not river), and enjoy hiking. Some culture is important, as well as the ability to meet people and become part of a community.

What are the industries in the area outside of wineries? Instead of moving to where I work, I am considering working near where I want to live. I am intrigued and will need to plan a visit. Thank you for your response.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 PM

11,293 posts, read 18,991,954 times
If Kayak is king...Ocean Kayaking is great in the Puget Sound especially around islands. I lived in the Gulf Islands (Canada version of San Juans). BUT the Columbia River is plenty big for decent kayaking and there are some nice places with backwater.

There is plenty of culture, medical in Portland / Vancouver area. If you are 'outdoorsy' Portland / Vancouver / Camas will be fine. If strictly an outdoors person, then look to Hood River, OR / White Salmon, WA and take up sailboarding. Gorge wines are great as well as the health of their industry and region. Columbia Gorge Wine Growers | Award winning Oregon and Washington Wine There is decent economic momentum in the Columbia Gorge, but property values are high. There are some nice senior options for different levels of care. Not quite the shopping bonanza as Portland Metro for senior care options.

You might also look around Poulsbo / Silverdale, WA for good access to medical and being on the inland salt water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area