Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 19,809 times

Advertisements

I am a filipino father looking to move to battle ground(my job is moving there,im trying to decide if i should move with it.).my wife and new born baby who are still in the Philippines would be following me by middle of 2011.base on everything i've red here, i think i like battle ground.i have a few concern im hoping some of the locals could help me out.heres my list: Racism(toward my kid in school and toward me and my wife),winter(how heavy is the snow and how long does it last?).i am planning to just get an appartment for now and eventually buy a home and raise a family.so pls be direct and true with your replies.because if i move ,it would be for the long run.any advice on what should i prepare and bring for the move that would be greatly apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
No Problem.

WA is very integrated and not known for racial bias (few exceptions due to weird folks on both sides) Typically a different issue than race.

I have a chinese friend living w/ family in BG. Wife has never learned english, in-laws came to stay with. Little kids in school... No problem !

I have another friend from BG who's family has been in the Philippines for 8 yrs doing humanitarian work with the drugged up youth (and sniffers)

My Attorney is nearby and he is Filipino. There is a very active local Filipino culture group and they sponsored a great concert of a touring college groupin north vancouver (Salmon Creek) last yr.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
In Seattle, Filipinos is the dominant/majority Asian group... I'm assuming it also applies to the entire state(?)

You can head over to Portland area for Uwajimaya and H-mart for Asian ingredients you might not find in nearby grocery stores. (No sales tax!)

I would point out that Hockinson school district, which is "next door" to Battle Ground school district, is a much better school district than BG. Hockinson is easily in top 20 school district of the entire state. (Camas which is SE of Battle Ground is also another great school district.)

Generally snow isn't the problem as you're not guaranteed to get them every winter, but when you do... Its the iciness that you should worry more about.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Quote:
In Seattle, Filipinos is the dominant/majority Asian group... I'm assuming it also applies to the entire state(?)
Well, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 estimate, in Seattle the most populous Asian "group" is Chinese at 22,174, followed by Filipino at 14,374.

For the entire state, they first list Chinese at 84,400 with Filipino second at 79,383.

For Vancouver Washington proper, they first list Vietnamese at 1,824 with Filipino second at 1,538.

However, for Battle Ground (2000 census data; 2008 estimate not available), they first list Filipino at 13 with Chinese at 9 and Japanese at 9.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Default thank you!im moving there in battle ground!yeyyyy!!

thanks for the info guys.hopefully we'd be nieghbors in the future.my company is moving t battle ground now but i'll be following on january.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,927 times
Racism: Yes, you will experience that in Battle Ground. BG is dominated by low income, uneducated, white folks. I went to a concert/party/event in BG for New Years. There was probably 5,000 people there. I think my Korean friend was the only non-white there.

Winter: Snow for maybe just a few days. Washington is normally just cold and rainy during the Winter months.

I think if you moved here, lived in Battle Ground, you probably wouldn't like it. Vancouver, and even more so, Portland, would be a much better place to go.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Default racism..?

thanks alot for the info.i will try out battle ground see if i fit in.ill just get an apartment for now.buy a house later.i appreciate your info.since were at it,what kind of racism did you or your friend experience in battle ground?i ask coz i know im gana go thro it too.just wna be prepared hehe!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
"vonzoy", not to be alarmed C-D forum 101...

Look at
  • number of posts and
  • reputation of posters,
some are trolls, some have a beef, some have a legitimate beef, MANY are kids.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 AM

9 posts, read 27,269 times
Battle ground in general is safe place to be. There are many religious population residing in that area. I rarely see open racial comments being made. If you are looking for a calm country side atmosphere yet close enough to take your family to shopping center, it might be a place for you to explore. Also, you will want to check out all the great parks and lakes surrounding the area if you are into outdoors.

If you are looking for a place based on certain race populated areas, look at bigger areas near Battleground because you won't have to travel too far to feel a change of pace and diversity.

If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask away!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,204 times
Hi, my husband and I are also looking into moving to BG with our children. My husband is white and I'm filipino. That was one of my concern about my children fitting into a more predominately white community as well. My oldest will be going into high school this year and was wondering if we live in BG, can she still go to Hockinson High. Are they pretty strict on the the school boundaries? I've been doing a lot of research and find that Hockinson is a better school district. Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area