Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM

75 posts, read 319,523 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are considering relocating to Washington from California and are interested in the Vancouer area and would love to get some more information. We also like Seattle but it seems that it rains more there(although I like the rain ), has less sunshine, and has worse traffic.

My husband and I have been wanting to move for a while now and have have looked into other places for the last 2 years. We looked into many places including NC, FL, OR, UT, CO, and TX. But we feel based on many things we like and dont like, that WA is best for us.

We are in our late 20's/early 30's so we wouldnt be buying a house for a while. We just want to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. We dont have any children so we dont need a big place. My husband has a BS degree and recently finished college but hasnt found any work here in CA. I work as a advertising consultant and make about $15/hr, which barely makes the rent here in southern CA. My husband would like to find a decent full time job so I can go to college now, while I still work a part time job to help with rent or other bills.

The main things we want or are looking for is more affordable rent (the average one bedroom here is $1500/month), more jobs/lower unemployment rate, nature/outdoor beauty, clean air, cooler summers, (it gets over 105 here), a safe area, decent public transportation options (as we share 1 car between us).

The things we like about WA are the state's unemployment rate being lower. About 9.2% in WA vs. 12.4% in CA. I think its around 8% in Vancouver and 5% in Seattle according to CNN reports I read. The minimum wage in WA is $8.55/hr instead of $8.00/hr and I believe its going up in WA for 2011, or so I read. Lower taxes in WA than CA. Also being close to Portland we could shop without sales tax. The rent is a big draw, as we see apartments there for $600-$800/month, which is a huge change. Also there is lots of beauty, mountains and trees.

Can you please tell us a little about the Vancouver area? It seems like a nice, safe, and affordable area. The only thing more expensive is the cost of school. Clark College seems really nice though. I have read on other forums that people in WA can be unfriendly, especially to CA people. Is that true, and if so, why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 8,806 times
We live in Camas and like it a lot. Vancouver is a little more bland and flat, not much to distinguish it from most of American suburbia. If you don't know,the job market in this area is not that great. Portland is one of the worst cities for jobs in the country. If you want better mass transit, better nightlife, more culture, more choices for housing, etc - I would move to Portland and not Vancouver. Seattle will have more job opps and the rent is probably not that much higher. I like Portland better however for it's size, but our traffic sucks too. I might consider Minneapolis or Atlanta - big cities, more jobs, relatively lower cost of living and - depending on where you live- transit is ok. All that said, Portland is a great city if you have a job,and affordable place to love and a good commute, probably the best city in the USA for many reasons - but jobs isn't one of them.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are considering relocating to Washington from California and are interested in the Vancouer area and would love to get some more information. We also like Seattle but it seems that it rains more there(although I like the rain ), has less sunshine, and has worse traffic.

My husband and I have been wanting to move for a while now and have have looked into other places for the last 2 years. We looked into many places including NC, FL, OR, UT, CO, and TX. But we feel based on many things we like and dont like, that WA is best for us.

We are in our late 20's/early 30's so we wouldnt be buying a house for a while. We just want to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. We dont have any children so we dont need a big place. My husband has a BS degree and recently finished college but hasnt found any work here in CA. I work as a advertising consultant and make about $15/hr, which barely makes the rent here in southern CA. My husband would like to find a decent full time job so I can go to college now, while I still work a part time job to help with rent or other bills.

The main things we want or are looking for is more affordable rent (the average one bedroom here is $1500/month), more jobs/lower unemployment rate, nature/outdoor beauty, clean air, cooler summers, (it gets over 105 here), a safe area, decent public transportation options (as we share 1 car between us).

The things we like about WA are the state's unemployment rate being lower. About 9.2% in WA vs. 12.4% in CA. I think its around 8% in Vancouver and 5% in Seattle according to CNN reports I read. The minimum wage in WA is $8.55/hr instead of $8.00/hr and I believe its going up in WA for 2011, or so I read. Lower taxes in WA than CA. Also being close to Portland we could shop without sales tax. The rent is a big draw, as we see apartments there for $600-$800/month, which is a huge change. Also there is lots of beauty, mountains and trees.

Can you please tell us a little about the Vancouver area? It seems like a nice, safe, and affordable area. The only thing more expensive is the cost of school. Clark College seems really nice though. I have read on other forums that people in WA can be unfriendly, especially to CA people. Is that true, and if so, why??
Back during the real estate boom of the late 80's many Californians sold their houses for mucho $$$'s and moved up to Washington to buy cheaper housing and bank the difference to live on. That drove real estate prices up for native Washingtonians and their children. Real estate became unaffordable for them. Ever since, they have hated Californians for messing up their Re market. When you go up there immediately remove your Cali license plates and tell no one where you are from. You will be okay if you follow this simple advice.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
You can gain a lot from searching this forum, here is a quick reply for your Q?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are considering relocating to Washington from California ... Vancouver area .... We also like Seattle same rain / sunny days in Portland as Seattle (colder in winter in PDX), more traffic, expense, and employment in Seattle

We looked into many places including My personal ranking for jobs and Quality of life ... 5 NC, FL, OR, 2 UT, 1 CO, and 4 TX (Hill country only). .. 3 WA (Vancouver is a reasonable choice tho

Colorado is very nice (I rode my bicycle to work everyday but 4, the last yr I lived there) and more stable for employment / economy / taxation / government

...My husband has a BS degree In what ? THAT is critical info for a job referral / prospects and recently finished college but hasnt found any work here in CA. ...$15/hr, which barely makes the rent here in southern CA. Vancouver / PDX is very tough employment climate at the moment ~ 11% by current ranking ~ 25% by pre '1994' measurement standards

The main things we want or are looking for is more affordable rent ; OK
... more jobs/lower unemployment rate, not here, look at Tri Cities - Richland, WA
nature/outdoor beauty, Here
clean air, Not here, till Boardman coal plant ceases.. Ironically we have one of the highest levels of Acid Rain in the USA (due to a narrow / direct air flow from Boardman, OR)
cooler summers, (it gets over 105 here), cool at night, can be over 100F here on ~ 3 days / yr and over 90F for 10+ Seattle is cooler in Summer (close to water)
a safe area, OK here or most of Seattle, or CO, UT
decent public transportation options Not great here, but tactical location will help (Walking distance to a transit center, Van Mall, Fischer Landing,) .

The things we like about WA are the state's unemployment rate being lower. (not to my Knowledge in Vancouver, I think it is one of the highest unemployment rates for a 'city') ... 8% in Vancouver and 5% in Seattle according to CNN reports I read (poor data source). The minimum wage in WA is $8.55/hr instead of $8.00/hr and I believe its going up in WA for 2011, or so I read.
Can't live on minimum wage here, no more than you can live on $15/hr where you are
Lower taxes in WA than CA. (generally, yes, but OR and WA are on the path to Californicate the entire west coast excluding AK, which is a GREAT place to consider)

Also being close to Portland we could shop without sales tax. (illegal, but often done)
The rent is a big draw, as we see apartments there for $600-$800/month, (1/2 the rent and 1/2 the pay )
Also there is lots of beauty, mountains and trees. yes

Can you please tell us a little about the Vancouver area? It seems like a nice, safe, and affordable area. yes, generally
The only thing more expensive is the cost of school. Clark College seems really nice though. (very good school)

I have read on other forums that people in WA can be unfriendly, especially to CA people. Is that true, and if so, why?? Mainly Seattle issue ,
CA let it's real estate equity flee and artificially raised the price of homes in all the Mountain states, which has resulted in locals having to sell their homes due to high taxes on artificial values. I now pay $33 / DAY in property taxes (10 time my grocery budget). Before the California inflow I was paying $3/day in taxes. Thus I am force to leave WA due to CA folks artificially raising my home value. It is the same thing that caused me to leave a beautiful ranch in Colorado (30 yrs ago). California real estate dollars also chased my dad and granddad off their farms. It takes a lifetime to build a farm (soil, crops, trees, animals, barns, fences, water systems ...) and this is farm #3 for me. I have no more energy to build another. The Californians have worn me out, I give up, I will have to retreat to ND to find an affordable abode to die in.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
When you go up there immediately remove your Cali license plates and tell no one where you are from. You will be okay if you follow this simple advice.
Oh, Please Californians do not have the best rep around the country, but it hasn't stopped them from moving out and living the good life elsewhere. OP, I wouldn't worry too much... no one really cares anymore (even in Seattle). If you were moving to Seattle in the 70s, then yes, I would suggest you follow that advice above...

Last time I heard, Vancouver's unemployment was still pretty high. Out of all the counties in the WA, Clark was really hit hard. A couple family members right now can't really find a better job, but there's lots of menial, McD's type of jobs out there.

Clark College is actually more of a Community College. You also have the WSU Vancouver as well.

I like Camas. Overall, I would never recommend/suggest anyone to live in Vancouver, but it really does depend on what you're looking for. Cheaper taxes and rent? Fine, but there are other places in WA that would offer that and have a better economy. Want to work in PDX, but not pay the state tax? Sorry, even if you choose to live in Wa, you will still have to pay income tax.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
8% UI rate in Vancouver? You're sure you don't mean Vancouver, BC?
Try, 13%, according to the latest Clark County WA, figures.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 PM

48 posts, read 158,985 times
I posted this in another forum, but here is a copy plus some additional information:

Rosemere (or "Rose Village" as it is now called) is one Vancouver's cheapest and therefore most run-down neighborhoods. A couple of elementary schools are in this neighborhood, so there are plenty of kids and young parents, but many are from low-income families and are on government assistance. Some of the owned houses are elegant and well-kept, but most of the homes are rentals that are falling apart due to neglect, and they may or may not be occupied by questionable characters. I feel relatively safe walking my dogs in the neighborhood and have met a number of friendly people, but the foreclosed houses, empty units, noticeably high pit bull population and homeless men walking around are somewhat depressing.

If I had any money I would rather be living in Hazel Dell or Salmon Creek-much nicer!

Finding a job here (or just about anywhere these days) is really difficult. Unemployment is very high in both Portland and SW Washington.

If you are moving here from California or another sunny state, start sprouting your duck feet and invest in a full-spectrum lighting unit. It is gloomy and rainy at least nine months out of the year, and it can take years to get used to this climate. Some people never get used to it.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 PM

141 posts, read 505,885 times
I live in Camas and know MANY families who have moved here from California. No one bats an eye. I grew up in Vancouver and years ago people used to lament all the Californians moving up here but it's really not an issue any more, other than maybe as a good -natured running joke.
Vancouver's OK, kind of boring, lots of suburbs. I'd stick to the east side if you can. Public transportation is not great.
However I would seriously consider the weather factor. Summers are certainly cooler - they can be downright cold! You can count on mostly decent weather July - September, although I went camping last August (not in the mountains) and froze. Weeks on end of gray in the winter can be rough. Everyone's different though - some people don't mind it.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Even when unemployment was low, there were not all that many good jobs in Vancouver, simply because it's a small city, and so close to Portland which is a big city.

As for the weather, Seattle averages 44"/year, Vancouver 41". You'd never notice the difference.

The Seattle area is close to 60% immigrants from CA and other states, and other countries now. It's a result of not only the flight from CA but the tendency of Microsoft to hire people from other countries, whom they consider better educated, and multilingual. In my neighborhood I don't know anyone who is a WA native, and about 80% came from CA.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
...the tendency of Microsoft to hire people from other countries, whom they consider better educated, and multilingual.
Not to go off topic, but the foreign hires have nothing to do with education and everything to do with low wages. Microsoft and other big companies take massive advantage of the H-1B visa program to outsource employment within our border (H-1B visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It is much cheaper to import workers than hire Americans, and that is music to the ears of companies that are only concerned with the bottom line and pleasing their shareholders.

Additionally, a quarter of these workers are from India and having Hindi as a second language is nearly useless in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area