U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 AM

10,901 posts, read 17,967,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPF View Post
...acid rain
I've never heard that. For what it's worth, Wikipedia has this to say: "Places with significant impact by acid rain around the globe include most of eastern Europe from Poland northward into Scandinavia, the eastern third of the United States, and southeastern Canada."

Most of our rain comes in fresh off the ocean and happens often enough to prevent particulate matter from building up in the air over time. Coal power
We get a strong dose of Acid Rain from the coal plant in Boardman, OR. The gorge winds funnel it so that we get one of the highest concentrations in the USA. (I was very surprised (disappointed) to find that out). So.... at least 3 HUGE concrete dams (and related 'clean power equip') are getting covered in Acid Rain. BUT... of course Government regulations encourage this, as the owner of the coal plant gets lots of 'credits' because they own lots of hydro!!! (The Government is 'so smart' about business )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 23,753 times
Default Good Apartments Near I-205 Portland/I-5 to Seattle

Here is a good place to call-I just moved and used to live there.

Try the "Village at Cascade Park"
Friendly managment staff-but definetly get a top floor. Right off MillPlain but set back from noise, super close to I-205 to hop on bridge to go to Portland. About a 40 min work commute on weekdays. Probably the quickest drive to the city if you ask me for a choice of good apartments. Very close to grocery stores, bus line and gas. Great movie theatre within walking distance.

Last edited by Graham is Great; 02-09-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 AM

6 posts, read 11,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham is Great View Post
Here is a good place to call-I just moved and used to live there.

Try the "Village at Cascade Park"
Friendly managment staff-but definetly get a top floor. Right off MillPlain but set back from noise, super close to I-205 to hop on bridge to go to Portland. About a 40 min work commute on weekdays. Probably the quickest drive to the city if you ask me for a choice of good apartments. Very close to grocery stores, bus line and gas. Great movie theatre within walking distance.
It is a good place. I live right by it LOL

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 19,001 times
Oh dear take Portland. I drove through Vancouver once and I guess I drove through the ghetto because it was NASTY! And I LOVE Portland!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 10,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
People have said Vancouver WA will be a hard commute to Portland (but it looks so close on the map), Im guessing due to traffic?

How do rents compare between Beaverton OR and Vancouver WA? Does anyone know. I want to get the most bang for my buck, while still being in a safe family friendly area of course. Is one place more safe than the other? Or about the same?

Someone told me that Vancouver/Portland gets a lot of acid rain. Is this true? I have not experienced this before. Is it dangerous??
OK, first, you come check out Vancouver and the surrounding areas. Pick up some fliers and check renting websites. It's not brain surgery here in Vancouver, that we get crapped on because it's Washington and we get all of Portland's metro area. If you wanna live in Vancouver, prepare to pay Washington sales tax unless you would like to shop in Oregon. But then, just live there, if that's the option. I live in Vancouver because I will NEVER live in Oregon. Gotta check it out before you make a decision.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 27,684 times
I concur with CPF, lots of hydro power in the area. Only thing working its way here is radiation from Japan

Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 AM

46 posts, read 45,650 times
Dear OP:

Something to consider.... Portland is very expensive compared to Vancouver. On Internet search engines look for sites such as "Cost of living Comparison". They are tools that break down cost of living such as transportation, food, housing, etc. You will find on some sites that Portland is almost 20% more expensive to live and work compared to Vancouver. Such statistics was kind of a deal breaker for me so I decided to take an offer in Omaha.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area