U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 6,739 times
Question Moving to Vancouver area in June, many concerns, help please!

My family is moving to the area in June from Upstate NY (govt move so we have no choice). I've posted before and have been reading many other post. What is the deal with the acid rain/pollution and cancer? We have a child with serious asthma and environmental allergies, is this going to be a problem? What areas should we avoid, if any? We will be renting through the govt but have some say on the area of choice. My husband's office is located in Vancouver (not sure on the exact location) but he is willing to commute up to 30 minutes one way. We would like a nice family friendly neighborhood, with great schools and clean air (if that is indeed a problem in the area).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM

141 posts, read 207,665 times
Vancouver is very sprawled out, without knowing the exact location you won't be able to figure what is 30 minutes away.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM

10,912 posts, read 17,983,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashawty10 View Post
My family is moving to the area in June from Upstate NY ... ... We would like a nice family friendly neighborhood, with great schools and clean air
read & search...

Hockinson should be on the top of your list

Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 782 times
You'll want to go to the City of Vancouver website, the Columbia River Crossing website and so on. There is a huge potential for tolling on all bridges, the Columbia River bridge (I-5) is needing to be replaced but the politics here are enormous and contentious.

There is lots of rain here. My husband suffers from mold and pollen allergies almost year round. Not very heart warming on one hand; on the other it is a nice enough small town, rather conservative in nature but liberal in voting (go figure).

Take a look at the "Land Here, Live Here" for promoting living in Vancouver. We are about 5 minutes across the bridge(s) to Portland, Oregon with wonderful one hour access to the mountains, desert and ocean.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 28,748 times
I have heard nothing of acid rain. I walk outside in the rain, usually without an umbrella and suffered no ill effects. I'm not sure what "talk" you are referring to. I live in the Evergreen district of Vancouver. It is nice, clean, and very easy to breath in. I can say that because I have asthma myself. Mine is trigger induced and polluted air, or smog is a major trigger for me. Other than the night of the 4th of July (due to all the sulfur in the air from fireworks), I have no problem with the air quality in Vancouver.
As another stated, unless you give a cross street for where your husband would be working, a 30 minute commute would be difficult to estimate. I would caution though, Hockinson may be nice in appearance...it is rural (depends on what you like) and when the city releases flood waters to offset overflow, Hockinson is where the water goes. I have a friend living there and her home on the lower level was flooded. The city is not supposed to be allowed to do that, but it doesn't stop them.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM

17 posts, read 28,748 times
I forgot to add as to the cancer...the PNW, as others have stated has a lower than national average rate for cancer. Unfortunately it is on the rise everywhere. There are some studies that indicate to stay away from substations and power stations (2 miles away minimum), or other focused sources of emf's if you have a family history...and obviously industry, but other than that, it seems diet, personal habits and DNA have much more to do with it than anything else. Just one example...I have extended family where there is great aunt brother and sister; they each have four children who are now adults and all of them have cancer. They all live outside of the PNW and are scattered across the states. I can't say without true research, but this minor factor does seem to speak to DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area